Hello people of the forums. I Have a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and I can't get a decent tone out of it

It always lacks some balls, we spirit. The base gets lazy, not enough chug. The highs die out and become soul less. I can riff on this thing but it is very hard to shred, it lacks something.

Is this a speaker problem? I have seen other forums saying that the speaker is crap. Or is it a problem with the tubes? Just any advice at all would help
Last edited by thegovner6505 at Mar 16, 2014,
The stock 6505+ 1x12 combo is a pretty bad sounding speaker, yes, so swapping that with a wgs v30 or a celestion v30 or whatever is the cheapest v30 copy you can get a hold of would be a big upgrade.

Then you may find your chugs a hell of a lot better sounding if you boost the front end, so if you don't have a cheap overdrive pedal already get one.
The favorite one here is the digitach bad monkey, which is pretty cheap, or if you want something a bit more versatile you can get a GFS greenie for something like $20 more (and I think it's worth it).

Then, swapping your tubes may help if you still have the stock ones and/or it's been a long time since you changed them last time.
Something like 3 years or so.
Not sure what the stock tubes are so they may even be good.
Anyway, a JJs or GTs or whatever will probably sound better but just a bit - the boost and the speaker would do a lot more difference.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
The stock 6505+ 1x12 combo is a pretty bad sounding speaker, yes, so swapping that with a wgs v30 or a celestion v30 or whatever is the cheapest v30 copy you can get a hold of would be a big upgrade.

Then you may find your chugs a hell of a lot better sounding if you boost the front end, so if you don't have a cheap overdrive pedal already get one.
The favorite one here is the digitach bad monkey, which is pretty cheap, or if you want something a bit more versatile you can get a GFS greenie for something like $20 more (and I think it's worth it).

Then, swapping your tubes may help if you still have the stock ones and/or it's been a long time since you changed them last time.
Something like 3 years or so.
Not sure what the stock tubes are so they may even be good.
Anyway, a JJs or GTs or whatever will probably sound better but just a bit - the boost and the speaker would do a lot more difference.

Already did two of those three things. Pedal and tubes. So I guess it's down to a new speaker. Thank you
I have a 6505+, me and my friend tried the same head through 3 different cabs, it only sounded good through my cab which is a first generation peavey 4x12 with chefield (however you spell it) speakers. So ya, maybe a change of speakers is in order. Or maybe you just aren't a fan of the amp in general. The other cabs we tried where marshall cabs not sure what the speakers where.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
I mention my cab is a first gen because they don't use chefields anymore.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
For rhythm its great out of box, but for leads it can be very shrill sounding. The proper stomp boxes could fix that, or you may already have the tone of the gods in your fingers and not need effects to make it sound great. Each player will sound different through each amp.
-corey taylor
If you've already done tubes and a tubescreamer variant, I'd suggest a good EQ pedal like the MXR 10-band. You can dial in a lot more "chug" and bite at the same time, or anything you want, really. I swear by mine.

Speakers are entirely subjective. I never had a real problem with the stock Sheffield. But I will say that through my 412 Crate cab with Eminence Governors/Swamp Thangs crossed, it is beastly. If I was going to run mine as a 112 again, I think I'd use a single Swamp Thang. They have a nice thick low-mid response, but are amazingly clear at the same time.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^^No offense, but you seem a little impatient in getting your tone. How long have you had the amp? Have you really tried EVERYTHING as far as EQing goes? *** Also, how LOUD are you playing? They sound okay at bedroom volumes, but they really start to roar and sound their best when the post-gain is at least above 1.5 (not really bedroom volume, hehe).

Do you realize that if it's brand new, it will take some time for your speaker to break in? When I purchased my Eminence Governors, it took about 50 hours of LOUD playing to finally break them in. Before that, they were harsh and lacking in low-end. They sound awesome now.

I say this because most people have no problems whatsoever in getting a very serviceable metal tone out of them. I certainly didn't -- and in fact, I prefer the overdriven tone of my amp to many others that cost more than twice as much.

But as someone else said, it may be you just don't like the sound of a 6505. I've just never heard of anybody saying they lack balls (I'm inclined to believe something is not working properly if someone says that about a 6505).
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by KailM
^^No offense, but you seem a little impatient in getting your tone. How long have you had the amp? Have you really tried EVERYTHING as far as EQing goes? *** Also, how LOUD are you playing? They sound okay at bedroom volumes, but they really start to roar and sound their best when the post-gain is at least above 1.5 (not really bedroom volume, hehe).

Do you realize that if it's brand new, it will take some time for your speaker to break in? When I purchased my Eminence Governors, it took about 50 hours of LOUD playing to finally break them in. Before that, they were harsh and lacking in low-end. They sound awesome now.

I say this because most people have no problems whatsoever in getting a very serviceable metal tone out of them. I certainly didn't -- and in fact, I prefer the overdriven tone of my amp to many others that cost more than twice as much.

But as someone else said, it may be you just don't like the sound of a 6505. I've just never heard of anybody saying they lack balls (I'm inclined to believe something is not working properly if someone says that about a 6505).

I've had it for about a year, and I've played with the eq for ages. I play at about 1.5 volume because I know this thing gets monstrous. I've used pedals (overdrive and eq) and they help but only marginally. I retubed the thing and that helped but still lacking.playing louder isn't a daily options due to neighbors, so my only option is a speaker swap and see how things go