Page 1 of 2
This thread is to discuss everything in regards to the greatly mislabeled sub-genre "Nu-metalcore."

Often mistaken for 'Metalcore,' 'Nu-metalcore' in large parts contains few hardcore elements. However, mass media and mass misconception has given this sub-genre the title of 'metalcore.' For more on actual 'Metalcore' see this thread: True Metalcore Thread

Now for some history!

'Nu-metalcore' is largely influenced by melodic death metal and some elements of hardcore. It manifested in the early 2000's with bands like 'Killswitch Engage,' 'Avenged Sevenfold,' 'Atreyu,' and 'Underoath' making it popular and well known. It is comprised with popular elements of melodic death metal and often has breakdowns in the music. With heavy verses and catchy choruses, it tends to blend screaming and growling vocals through the verse, clean sung vocals during the chorus, and the occasional over lap of both where it fits the song.

Influential albums for 'Nu-metalcore:'
Shadows Fall- Somber Eyes to the Sky
Avenged Sevenfold- Waking the Fallen
Atreyu- Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses
Killswitch Engage- Alive or Just Breathing
Killswitch Engage- Self Titled
Underoath- The Changing of Times
Unearth- The Stings of Conscience

Examples of 'Nu-metalcore' Bands:

August Burns Red
Avenged Sevenfold ('Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet' and 'Waking the Fallen')
Bleeding Through
Bullet for my Valentine
Devil Wears Prada
Eighteen Visions ('Vanity' and 'Obsession')
From Autumn to Ashes
In Fear and Faith
It Dies Today
Killswitch Engage
Parkway Drive
Shadows Fall
Trivium
Underoath
Unearth

"But everyone calls those bands 'metalcore!' They must be right and your sub-genre name sucks!"

The name sucks, I agree completely, but consider the following:
Does this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugPxKkDmh5M

Sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmY6v1LQs74
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxbg0zT5AeI

Or more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUJU1G1VJY
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feo7nyaOu1I

'Shai Hulud' and 'Counterparts' are both metalcore bands where as 'The Black Dahlia Murder' and 'Soilwork' are Melodic Death Metal bands. If anything these bands should be called 'Nu-Melodic Death Metal,' 'Post-Melodic Death Metal', or some other awkward variation of that. But with music media pushing the metalcore title over these bands, it is no wonder there can be so much confusion over what to call these bands. This is where the distinction should be made by taking the prefix 'Nu-' for 'not' and applying it before 'metalcore' creating 'Not metalcore.'
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Last edited by DamienEx1021 at Mar 17, 2014,
Wow the genre wanking is still strong within this place. Nu-metalcore? Come on.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

This right here. Just listen to it if you like it. Who honestly gives two flying ****s what genre of metal it is? It's all opinion and personal preference.

Inb4 "Metalcore isn't metal bro. You're not a metalhead. SLAYURRRRRRRR!"
Does this term really mean "bands that were influenced by many bands I like but are now too popular for me to consider liking'?
Dude the genre name is awful, nearly as bad as Djent. Post-metalcore sounds slightly better.
Quote by Genrecore
Dude the genre name is awful, nearly as bad as Djent. Post-metalcore sounds slightly better.

I feel like post-metalcore would actually be good. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA72eXHyCpk
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
I have never heard that genre name before and wish never to hear it again.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by link no1
I have never heard that genre name before and wish never to hear it again.

...nu-

metalcore
Quote by Sir Stoney
Who honestly gives two flying ****s what genre of metal it is? It's all opinion and personal preference.

Well considering many of us here are classification *****s and like things properly labeled in our sub-forums, we care. Genre labeling is not opinion or personal preference. If you want to call rap metal, you are wrong, regardless of your opinion. I will illustrate this point in an edit to the main post.

Metalcore is a hybrid of hardcore and metal. Nu-metalcore is mostly watered down melodic death metal with little to no hardcore influence what so ever.

Quote by boomershadow
Does this term really mean "bands that were influenced by many bands I like but are now too popular for me to consider liking'?

I still listen to most/all the bands I listed in that post among a few others. So have since broken up while others are still going.

Quote by --ESTRANGED--
holymother****ingcockandprobablyballstoo
IF IT SOUNDS LIKE METAL. IT'S METAL.

Exactly. It sounds like metal, not like hardcore, or metalcore for that matter.

Quote by Genrecore

Post-metalcore does sound better, but that would imply that it was metalcore related to begin with, which it isn't. Terrible thing about this sub-genre, it needs a name but most people who care about this kind of stuff can't be arsed to name it.

Quote by deathofagod
You just made that genre up, didn't you.

About a year ago when I joined this forum I was educated by the locals as to the differences between nu-metalcore and metalcore. See the edited first post for more details.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021
Well considering many of us here are classification *****s and like things properly labeled in our sub-forums, we care. Genre labeling is not opinion or personal preference. If you want to call rap metal, you are wrong, regardless of your opinion. I will illustrate this point in an edit to the main post.

Metalcore is a hybrid of hardcore and metal. Nu-metalcore is mostly watered down melodic death metal with little to no hardcore influence what so ever.

I still listen to most/all the bands I listed in that post among a few others. So have since broken up while others are still going.

Exactly. It sounds like metal, not like hardcore, or metalcore for that matter.

Post-metalcore does sound better, but that would imply that it was metalcore related to begin with, which it isn't. Terrible thing about this sub-genre, it needs a name but most people who care about this kind of stuff can't be arsed to name it.

About a year ago when I joined this forum I was educated by the locals as to the differences between nu-metalcore and metalcore. See the edited first post for more details.

Sub genres of sub genres? lol wut.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

Maybe we're getting sick of people having this attitude and wrongfully labeling things?

Quote by Sir Stoney
This right here. Just listen to it if you like it. Who honestly gives two flying ****s what genre of metal it is? It's all opinion and personal preference.

But Metalcore ISN'T metal. Actual Metalcore is Hardcore. That's why it has the "-core" part.

Quote by --ESTRANGED--
holymother****ingcockandprobablyballstoo
IF IT SOUNDS LIKE METAL. IT'S METAL.

Which is the point. Actual Metalcore sounds like enough like Hardcore to be obviously a variant of Hardcore. Bands like KsE, Underoat, Atreyu, etc. don't fit the idea of Hardcore at all.

As a fan of both Metalcore and Metal, I have to say that if one can't the difference between this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c_w6zPLC9g

and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URhmC865SGI

...If people can't hear the difference between those two (the former being Metalcore and the latter Melodic Death Metal), they need to listen a hell of a lot better.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 17, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Maybe we're getting sick of people having this attitude and wrongfully labeling things?

But Metalcore ISN'T metal. Actual Metalcore is Hardcore. That's why it has the "-core" part.

Which is the point. Actual Metalcore sounds like enough like Hardcore to be obviously a variant of Hardcore. Bands like KsE, Underoat, Atreyu, etc. don't fit the idea of Hardcore at all.

As a fan of both Metalcore and Metal, I have to say that if one can't the difference between this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c_w6zPLC9g

and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URhmC865SGI

...If people can't hear the difference between those two (the former being Metalcore and the latter Melodic Death Metal), they need to listen a hell of a lot better.

Hardcore is a from of metal you dunce. Yes, it's different, but it's still metal. It's not rock, it's not pop, country, jazz, or blues. Hardcore is a sub genre, not it's own thing. In your mind, it might be completely different, but if someone who doesn't listen to metal listens to it. What would they call it? Jazz Fusion? HAHAHAHA
Nu-Metalcore isn't a "real" genre. It's a name used to different the modern Metalcore which, as stated, is basically just a crappier version of Melodic Death Metal. Other names which have been thrown around are Popcore, Popmetal, AtTheGatescore and other various names.

Because you know... if it was metalcore it'd have actual hardcore influences. I also love how people have been bitching about "if it sounds like metal it's metal" when they're posting in the HARDCORE forum.

Quote by Sir Stoney
Hardcore is a from of metal you dunce. Yes, it's different, but it's still metal. It's not rock, it's not pop, country, jazz, or blues. Hardcore is a sub genre, not it's own thing. In your mind, it might be completely different, but if someone who doesn't listen to metal listens to it. What would they call it? Jazz Fusion? HAHAHAHA

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Get educated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGzA8KXW3WI
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 17, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Nu-Metalcore isn't a "real" genre. It's a name used to different the modern Metalcore which, as stated, is basically just a crappier version of Melodic Death Metal. Other names which have been thrown around are Popcore, Popmetal, AtTheGatescore and other various names.

Because you know... if it was metalcore it'd have actual hardcore influences. I also love how people have been bitching about "if it sounds like metal it's metal" when they're posting in the HARDCORE forum.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Get educated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGzA8KXW3WI

No shit it's not a real genre. It's a SUB GENRE. Just like Hardcore, it's still a form of metal. I'm sorry I don't dick ride the sub genre train. Since you apparently have a masters in genres, tell me more! All I'm trying to say, is that it's pretty damn silly to actually be dead serious about sub genres of sub genres. I know the difference between melodic death and metalcore, and etc. I just don't see why anyone would care. Btw, I can see those yellow teeth from here, bud.
Quote by ManInTheBox14
This is the most hilariously stupid thing I've read in a while. Well done.

Let someone listen to a hardcore band that doesn't listen to metal. Ask them what genre it would fall under: Rock, Metal, Blues, Pop, Rap, Jazz. What would it fall under? Metal of course. Then you can be a chode about what kind of metal it is.
Well for one Hardcore ISN'T a subgenre...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire

I guess Jesus must walk on water now. Where's he at so he can turn my water into wine?
Your argument is based around "people who don't know any better can't tell the difference" as if that's someone logical. Please just stop.

Since the average idiot can't tell the difference between Chamber Music and Baroque then they are obviously exactly the same!

Also, they don't even sound that similar. All your arguments are doing is prove that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Hardcore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrVYbJhrEtY

Metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKhsTXoKCI

Hardcore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsbvo5GVK10

Metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5wUr4Lut4A

If you think Hardcore is a sub genre of metal then you've probably only listened to those bands who this thread is focused on in the first place.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire

And yes, let's define everything based on the opinions of people who don't know anything! Yes since the average idiot can't tell the difference between Chamber Music and Baroque then they are obviously exactly the same!

Also, they don't even sound that similar. All your arguments are doing is prove that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Hardcore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrVYbJhrEtY

Metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKhsTXoKCI

Hardcore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsbvo5GVK10

Metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5wUr4Lut4A

If you think Hardcore is a sub genre of metal then you've probably only listened to those bands who this thread is focused on in the first place.

Did I say it all sounds the same? No. I know what the difference is. You'd have to be brain dead to not hear a difference. I'm just saying, It's still a form of metal. That's all I'm trying to say.
Which is still wrong. IF Hardcore is a subgenre of anything, it's of Punk, not metal. Even then Hardcore holds so many elements outside of punk meaning it's placed along side it, not as part of it.

The compositional technique between the Modern Life is War song and the Metallica song are completely different. If they were connected through both being part of the metal genre that wouldn't be the case. Where as almost EVERY genre of metal, apart from maybe stuff like Drone (which kinda falls into Avant Garde anyway), can be linked back to the NWOBHM.

You can't make that link between Bad Brains and Judas Priest, they're not part of the same whole.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Sir Stoney
No shit it's not a real genre. It's a SUB GENRE. Just like Hardcore, it's still a form of metal. I'm sorry I don't dick ride the sub genre train. Since you apparently have a masters in genres, tell me more! All I'm trying to say, is that it's pretty damn silly to actually be dead serious about sub genres of sub genres. I know the difference between melodic death and metalcore, and etc. I just don't see why anyone would care. Btw, I can see those yellow teeth from here, bud.

Hardcore originated from punk, not metal. Punk originated from rock and roll, surf rock, and garage rock. Hardcore punk, or simply hardcore, was described as punk music that was heavier, faster, and typically had screamed or shouted vocals. Most original hardcore punk had political over tones and anti-establishment messages to it, right along the lines of punk. It wasn't until the late-80s where metal and hardcore crossovers became prominent, and even then the majority of the music was punk, just now with a metal edge to it.

Hardcore is not a sub-genre of metal. It isn't even close to metal. You are essentially saying that punk is a metal sub-genre. Check your facts.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021
Hardcore originated from punk, not metal. Punk originated from rock and roll, surf rock, and garage rock. Hardcore punk, or simply hardcore, was described as punk music that was heavier, faster, and typically had screamed or shouted vocals. Most original hardcore punk had political over tones and anti-establishment messages to it, right along the lines of punk. It wasn't until the late-80s where metal and hardcore crossovers became prominent, and even then the majority of the music was punk, just now with a metal edge to it.

Hardcore is not a sub-genre of metal. It isn't even close to metal. You are essentially saying that punk is a metal sub-genre. Check your facts.

Ok, I admit I was wrong about it coming from metal. Now it still sounds like a form of metal, whether it comes from punk or someones ass. It still sounds like a type of metal. Personally, this is just me, I don't see why it even matters.

So I guess you can hold your head up high now, you proved me wrong. You do have a nice taste in music though.
Quote by Sir Stoney
Ok, I admit I was wrong about it coming from metal. Now it still sounds like a form of metal, whether it comes from punk or someones ass. It still sounds like a type of metal. Personally, this is just me, I don't see why it even matters.

So I guess you can hold your head up high now, you proved me wrong. You do have a nice taste in music though.

Good, now can we get back to the original point of this thread?

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by Sir Stoney
Hardcore is a from of metal you dunce.

ha leave
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
First Shadows Fall album should be on the important albums list.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
First Shadows Fall album should be on the important albums list.

"Somber Eyes To The Sky" ? Really? I mean I can see "Of One Blood" and "The Art of Balance" but 'Somber' just sounds straight Melodic Death with just a pinch of metalcore.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Well if we're talking about origins of the movement...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well if we're talking about origins of the movement...

fair enough. added.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Unearth were pretty cool. Used to jam the March quite a bit back in the day.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Unearth going up.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by ChemicalFire
Unearth were pretty cool. Used to jam the March quite a bit back in the day.

Yeah, they actually did a meet & greet in Alaska back when I was in high school when they were touring with Gene Hoglan (former drummer for Death/SYL). I went to it just to get Gene's autograph, because I had wrongfully dismissed them as another shitty, talentless metalcore band. Regret it now in hindsight, because Gene was kind of a recluse. I asked him about SYL getting back together, and he said something to the tune of, "I don't know man, Devin is just sorta doin' his own thing."
I am hoping this could be the one thread to rule them all.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by Sir Stoney
Hardcore is a from of metal you dunce.

And this is why people need to use their ears properly...
Page 1 of 2