Looking to get a valve amp, something less than 15W, with the ability to switch down to say 1w or 5w with the best clean tone.

What are there out there? What else are out there that i should look at?

Blackstar HT-5R
Mesa Transatlantic 15
Marshal DSL5
Laney IRT15H Ironheart
Tweaker. Although, I've never tried the TA15 so it may be better, I'm not qualified to comment between those two.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The TA is cool, but not worth the extra money. Look at the Egnater Rebel, it sounds thicker than either.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Well I can't get the Egnator in the UK unfortunately, the TA I have an opportunity to grab one with 40% off.
Why are you looking for low wattage?

Low wattage and good cleans don't really go together.

The Transatlantic sounds great to me, easily destroys the others in clean and dirt. But then, the price reflects that. Kind of an odd man out of that list.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The TA stands out from the rest like a sore thumb, even from what little I've heard of them. Well, it's a Mesa, nothing they make is crap. If you are getting it for similar money as the others, I'd snap it up. It's certainly in a league of its own there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 17, 2014,
My Krank 1980 Jr has a great clean channel and a big amount of headroom for a 20 watt amp. But it also uses 2x 6L6 power tubes to get that 20 watts so no tube breakup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard
The TA stands out from the rest like a sore thumb, even from what little I've heard of them. Well, it's a Mesa, nothing they make is crap. If you are getting it for similar money as the others, I'd snap it up. It's certainly in a league of its own there.

Well, I grouped them together due to spec, as opposed to budget. I don't really have a concrete ceiling but obviously if I can get something like a Mesa for 10% of its costs then I'd get that.

The Mesa is there because I was offered it about £150 more than the Marshall DSL5 so in budget terms, it's close enough, albeit I need a cab but that's not a problem.

The only reservation is the lack of reverb on the Mesa TA, do you guy think that's a deal breaker for you as a practice amp?
Quote by raymond lin

The only reservation is the lack of reverb on the Mesa TA, do you guy think that's a deal breaker for you as a practice amp?

Hell no!

Then again, I'm kind of a developing pedal fiend.

But really, that would be a seriously stupid reason to not get the Mesa for one of the others.

Seriously, as has been stated, this is not a contest. Not in any way. The Mesa destroys the others.

Youtube is your friend though. Listen for yourself.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Hell no!

Then again, I'm kind of a developing pedal fiend.

But really, that would be a seriously stupid reason to not get the Mesa for one of the others.

Seriously, as has been stated, this is not a contest. Not in any way. The Mesa destroys the others.

Youtube is your friend though. Listen for yourself.

I have been, but Youtube has terrible compression for audio, so I am trying to get personal experience from others too.
Quote by raymond lin
Looking to get a valve amp, something less than 15W, with the ability to switch down to say 1w or 5w with the best clean tone.

What are there out there? What else are out there that i should look at?

Blackstar HT-5R
Mesa Transatlantic 15
Marshal DSL5
Laney IRT15H Ironheart

the best low wattage clean tone is an old black or silver faced champ. hands down end of discussion.

of the 4 you list i'd grab either the IRT or TA. i've played all 4, owned an HT5 and an IRT Studio. if you can score a TA for cheap, do it. great amp.
I'm open to all other suggestions, at the moment obviously the TA is top of the list.
The TA sounds the best option if you can get it for a similar price.

Otherwise the Tweaker is my vote, but what about the Laney Lionheart L20T. Class A tone and gets excellent reviews.

Or, if you want something a little bit unusual, what about the Vox TB18C1. A bit Vox'y, a bit Fender'y. Brilliant master volume. 6V6 amps with a Vox twist, or a Vox with a Fender twist. It's all good.

I think the option to reduce the power on amps is a little overrated. A decent master volume will get you there. But that's subjective and others may have different views.
The Carvin Vintage 16's a great choice.

I'm curious, though -- why a 15 watt amp?
If you're not going to gig and it's just for home practice there are still some 1 watt marshall amps about.
I've noticed some shops have them reduced to clear
If you're getting that hefty a discount, TA all the way. It's better than the others, but not enough for the extra cost normally (to me). But for that, go for the TA
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The Ampeg GVT amps have killer American cleans. But beware the 5-watt version, it will break up at TV volumes.
If you are getting a 40% discount on the Mesa, how is this even a discussion?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you are getting a 40% discount on the Mesa, how is this even a discussion?

+1

If the op doesn't want the Mesa at 40% off, I'll take it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Kind of an oxymoron OP (great clean low watt). The Vox Nighttrain has some great darker cleans if that's your bag. Just watch out if you decide to add some gain, it doesn't clean up very well at all (muddies up something crazy)
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Not sure why the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5/18w hasn't been brought up. I LOVE that little amp - just got to play it today in fact!
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
Quote by N_J_B_B
Kind of an oxymoron OP (great clean low watt).

No it isn't, if he doesn't want to play it loud, to compete with a drummer for example. If it's only for home practice then it's perfectly reasonable. The OP didn't mention anything about needing to be loud, so it is fine.
Quote by deano_l
No it isn't, if he doesn't want to play it loud, to compete with a drummer for example. If it's only for home practice then it's perfectly reasonable. The OP didn't mention anything about needing to be loud, so it is fine.

And by that rhetoric it is reasonable to assume they are also jamming/gigging too.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Still more than what you guys pay in the states though!

The TA15 is $1500 over here.
Quote by raymond lin
Still more than what you guys pay in the states though!

The TA15 is $1500 over here.

Just buy it and resell it for less than 40% off

Or keep it if you like it. 15 Watts isn't much power though. As others have said. Turning a 15 watt clean channel up loud to try and compete with a band is going to end up in some not so clean sounds.

But if you don't need to compete with anyone (and don't think you will in the future), then I'm sure it'll do you great.
Quote by wildozer
Just buy it and resell it for less than 40% off

Or keep it if you like it. 15 Watts isn't much power though. As others have said. Turning a 15 watt clean channel up loud to try and compete with a band is going to end up in some not so clean sounds.

But if you don't need to compete with anyone (and don't think you will in the future), then I'm sure it'll do you great.

The TA can do 5, 15 and 25W, they just use the number 15 as the model number for some reason.

But I would say even 5w is plenty loud enough at home.
Quote by raymond lin
The TA can do 5, 15 and 25W, they just use the number 15 as the model number for some reason.

But I would say even 5w is plenty loud enough at home.

I used a block lettered 5150 with a 4x12 in a tiny, thin walled apartment for 3 years.
Wattage=/=volume, this is one of the most annoying lies told to guitarists.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Fender Blues Jr, Pro Jr, and Super Champ XD are all 15w tube amps that will do nice clean work and easily run with most rock drummers. They are good for about 110db clean, 115db dirty. A lotta sound for a little combo amp. Not well suited for hi-gain 80s Metal though. Need a Mesa Boogie and a closed-back cabinet to cover both well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

You guys are jerks now I want to sell my Rebel again, which is silly because you toss some good valves in there and it's probably the most versatile single channel amp ever known to man and reptilian humanoids alike.

TS, if the price is right grab the Mesa, but being across seas I bet they get pretty spendy over there. I got my Rebel for 300 USD delivered to my door. Can't be happier. Well I could be happier maybe I want to sell it for a Renegade but I'm probably just still drunk from last night and I am compulsive when I am drunk.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah, the point of those low wattage amps is for the early breakup they provide. Sure they can do decent cleans, but when I think of stellar cleans the only low watt amp that comes to mind is the Fender Princeton.

When I think good cleans (regardless of volume) I think, Fender Bassman, Fender Twin, Mesa Lonestar, Mesa Mark V, Bogner Shiva & pretty much any Rivera I've ever played.
Quote by icronic
Yeah, the point of those low wattage amps is for the early breakup they provide. Sure they can do decent cleans, but when I think of stellar cleans the only low watt amp that comes to mind is the Fender Princeton.

When I think good cleans (regardless of volume) I think, Fender Bassman, Fender Twin, Mesa Lonestar, Mesa Mark V, Bogner Shiva & pretty much any Rivera I've ever played.

When I think good low wattage cleans I always think Deluxe Reverb.

Its not really low wattage, but I always think of it because its lower wattage than most amps that are renowned for cleans.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
You don't buy a Deluxe for cleans, you buy them for what they sound like dimed. When I think Fender cleans, the Deluxe is not on the radar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Every true Blackface Fender has magnificent clean tones from the Champ to the Twin by design. They also have very similar breakup characteristics that vary a little by model based on speaker, cabinet size, and rated impedance. The 100w Twins and Showmans are louder and have more dynamics available than the lower wattage BF Fenders. A modern Super Champ XD is right in there with proper glassy Blackface clean tone and it is dirt cheap.

I've decided to save up and get the boogie, not the TA but the express. I want the option of the effects loop for the future.
I don't think anyone's mentioned the orange tiny terror. 15w that can be bumped to 7. Can get LOUD too. Real versatile especially with a tubescreamer up front. The cleans sound gorgeous. The thing honestly blew me away when I tried it. Can get great British cleans (has el 34s) but it can get lotsa different cleans including some nice pushed ones
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Mar 20, 2014,