I'm just starting out. I bought my first guitar on the 27th of December. I have been playing the hell out of it and the two i have bought since. I bought an Ibanez Soundtank SP5 Slam Punk Pedal today for 10 bucks. What pedal should I pick up next?
Attachments:
CAM00603-1.jpg
Depends what you need.

I very rarely buy pedals unless I know that I need them for a certain sound (fuzz, phase, etc.).

What do you want to do with your sound?
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
Better yet, what kind of amp are you playing through?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
As you've been playing for such a short period of time, you should probably focus on practicing and learning first. Playing with a completely clean sound will help you to hear the mistakes you're making. Leave the effects out of it for now, keep it clean and wait until you actually NEED effects.

Then get a new amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
To echo what Gary ^ said - it would certainly be worth making time to practice without effects, as no guitarist should hide their playing behind effects! Unless you're the edge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8dZwXnMrRU

I don't agree with the advice to leave out effects for now though. They are fun, and learning guitar is all about fun, so by all means mess around with them. Just remember to turn them off at some point during your practice/play time to make sure you improve your clean playing too.

Have you considered a multi-effects pedal? You can probably pick up a basic multi-effects pedal for under 50 bucks, and it'll allow you to try lots of different effects out so you can identify your favourite type(s). Building up effects pedal by pedal is a pricey option, and the difference in sound quality they offer will be null and void as you're just starting out.

My word of caution would be around spending lots of money on crap kit. Rather than amassing a collection of cheap/middling guitars now, hang back and spend the same amount of cash in 6 months/1 year on a single, much better axe. I'm a 1 guitar guy though, and would rather spend a grand on a good guitar instead of buying four cheaper guitars for the same amount. Other people will offer different opinions though - to help you make up your mind, maybe go into a guitar shop and try a top end guitar alongside a couple that are a quarter of the price.
as others have said in this thread, i'd pick up a cheap multi effects pedal to play around with and see what kind of effects you'd be into as you get better at playing guitar.

however, instead of going straight to buying the pedals you like, save up for a nice, small tube amp. the multi effects pedal going into the better amp will sound miles better than great pedals into a cheap amp.

the amp will be the base of your tone, not the pedals. *insert insightful quote about houses with bad foundations here*

Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Yeah, I'd actually go along with the idea of a multi effect unit as a first investment. Although I still think effects aren't necessary at such an early stage (I'm of the school where I believe it's best to learn on an acoustic, then switch to electric when the basics are sorted), you can definitely learn a lot from a multi effects unit.

1 - It can teach you what each different effect does, and how you can apply it to your playing.

2 - It can be used with headphones as a way of practicing silently.

3 - if you get one like the Zoom G3 which has a built in drum machine, you can use it as a metronome to practice playing in time.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
At the moment, i just have a Crate TG10R. It'll do till i find a good price on a Vox or line 6 or something. I am just learning and keeping myself entertained. I'm about half way thru Hal Lenard's lesson book. Dont know if I'll ever be part of a band, but if i am, I'll have a blast doing it!
That's pretty much what this is all about, self entertainment. I'm happy with my inexpensive equipment. If it ever get as good as Steve Vie or Randy Rhodes, i may look into a 2G ax, but probably not.
Quote by ShellieAC
At the moment, i just have a Crate TG10R. It'll do till i find a good price on a Vox or line 6 or something. I am just learning and keeping myself entertained. I'm about half way thru Hal Lenard's lesson book. Dont know if I'll ever be part of a band, but if i am, I'll have a blast doing it!
That's pretty much what this is all about, self entertainment. I'm happy with my inexpensive equipment. If it ever get as good as Steve Vie or Randy Rhodes, i may look into a 2G ax, but probably not.

I assume you mean the solid state Voxes and the crappy Line 6 amps.

You'll probably most likely end up playing in a band or doing something involving the guitar because you'll love it so much (like everyone else that ever starts playing ) but it's important to remember that a 2k guitar will do far less for your tone than a 500 dollar amp, and you'll need a new amp if you play onstage/in a band so get something VERY good. you don't have to spend a fortune but you'll want to get the right amp.

I know a new amp doesn't look quite as exciting to a beginner compared to a shiny new guitar, but you'll sound infinitely better.

And as I said earlier, get a cheapo multi effects unit, but never cheap out on an amp or pedals
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Hi i've saved money now for a while for buying a guitar pedal, and i can't choose between big muff with tone wicker or dunlop wah pedal Classic. Please help me, which One is The best buy?
Quote by X1068
Hi i've saved money now for a while for buying a guitar pedal, and i can't choose between big muff with tone wicker or dunlop wah pedal Classic. Please help me, which One is The best buy?

You should post a thread of your own instead of hijacking another person's thread.

That said, you're the one who knows which one is the best buy.
The Big Muff is a fuzz pedal and the Dunlop Wah is a wah pedal. They are very different pedals, which serve completely different purposes. They aren't mutually exclusive.

You have to determine what kind of sound you're after, and then get the pedal that helps you achieve that specific sound.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Yeah i know that
But i wonder which pedal is The One a guitar player is going to need most ?
Distortion/fuzz or wah? And by The way how do i create a new thread?
Last edited by X1068 at Mar 18, 2014,
Quote by rhcp_freak

You'll probably most likely end up playing in a band or doing something involving the guitar because you'll love it so much (like everyone else that ever starts playing ) but it's important to remember that a 2k guitar will do far less for your tone than a 500 dollar amp, and you'll need a new amp if you play onstage/in a band so get something VERY good. you don't have to spend a fortune but you'll want to get the right amp.

I know a new amp doesn't look quite as exciting to a beginner compared to a shiny new guitar, but you'll sound infinitely better.

I do not have a problem with buying a large amp. The wife may when the windows break.
Not a Line 6 fan I take it. Who makes a good amp, not just a cool name. I don't care who's name is on it, as long as it makes me smile.
Quote by ShellieAC
Who makes a good amp, not just a cool name. I don't care who's name is on it, as long as it makes me smile.

Well, if you are considering investing in a new amp, please give us these informations so that we can give you better advice:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by X1068
Yeah i know that
But i wonder which pedal is The One a guitar player is going to need most ?
Distortion/fuzz or wah? And by The way how do i create a new thread?

Well, what do you need the most?

At the top of whatever subforum you're in, it'll say "New Thread".
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

BudgetI quit smoking so about 50 bucks every 2 weeks.
Genre Metal, Punk, whatever Primus is, Ballads.
New or Used Used is fine. KSL Classified has some good deals and there is some stuff at pawn shops. Seen some used stuff at Guitar Center the other day.
Home or Gig Was thinking of renting a storage unit with friends. Note, find friends. Lol
Closest City Salt Lake, and Ogden.
Current Gear I have 2 Gibson style and a Strat style guitars. The above mentioned pedal the 10 watt Crate amp. I'll probably pick up this Bass I've been eyeing on Thursday.

There was a 120 watt Crate amp that looked good at a pawn shop. Not sure if that is the way to go and I don't want a miss match, just cause it was a good price. Besides, I don't live in a mansion.

Thanks for any info. It means alot.
Quote by ShellieAC
BudgetI quit smoking so about 50 bucks every 2 weeks.
Genre Metal, Punk, whatever Primus is, Ballads.
New or Used Used is fine. KSL Classified has some good deals and there is some stuff at pawn shops. Seen some used stuff at Guitar Center the other day.
Home or Gig Was thinking of renting a storage unit with friends. Note, find friends. Lol
Closest City Salt Lake, and Ogden.
Current Gear I have 2 Gibson style and a Strat style guitars. The above mentioned pedal the 10 watt Crate amp. I'll probably pick up this Bass I've been eyeing on Thursday.

There was a 120 watt Crate amp that looked good at a pawn shop. Not sure if that is the way to go and I don't want a miss match, just cause it was a good price. Besides, I don't live in a mansion.

Thanks for any info. It means alot.

Metal+punk+Primus+ballads is a bit of a broad range, you'll need an amp with some versatility.

Can you find an used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 anywhere? (It looks like this.)
With 100 bucks a month, you'll only have to wait a few months and then you'll be able to invest in a great amp like that one.

EDIT: As far as the Crate amp you mentioned goes, Crate had some amps that were worth it, others not so much. It would depend on the specific model. If you know its name or post a picture, maybe i could give an opinion on it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 19, 2014,
If you only just got your first guitar in late December you should really just be focusing on playing, rather than buying as much gear as you can. I find the fact youve bought three guitars within three months of playing to be overkill.

Relax. Take a breather. Learn to use the equimpment you have. Theres no race to buy as much stuff as possible. Having more stuff doesnt automatically make you a better player.

Dont buy the bass guitar. But the money into your amp fund.

I would just focus on learning the guitar and playing songs you enjoy for the next few months while saving up for a new amp. Something decent. After that I would probably focus on saving up to get a decent guitar that plays nice. Fund your new guitar by selling your current ones. Better to have one good guitar than three average ones

If you rush to buy equipment you'll just end up buying cheap shit and its a false economy. Buy nice or buy twice.

Just focus on the fundementals and let the rest happen naturally.
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Mar 19, 2014,
I feel this thread is changing tack somewhat from the original question!

If it's amps you're after - my advice would be don't bother (yet). You have an amp, and that will be fine for now. Put your 50 bucks per week into a savings account for a year and practice. In a year's time, if you're still playing you could put some of your 2.5k to good use. It'll also allow you to see if you enjoy playing, or enjoy the process of buying kit.