Hello all! I'm having trouble EQ'ing my peavey 6505+, the main problem I have with it is the presence control. When the presence control is on 1-9 the amp sounds muddy/dark but when I put it on 10 the amp is too bright. I see a lot of my favorite bands playing this head and their presence control isn't near 10 and their tone sounds amazing!

I got this head used a year ago and the guy said he changed the tubes about a year before that. He swapped out the stock ruby tubes for JJ preamp tubes and two different sets of GT power tubes (which I thought was kind of strange). So the tubes are 1-3 years old.

My setup is fairly simple I go from my Ibanez 7 string with emg's into a tc electronic tuner into a Maxon and then a boss NS-2 set up in an x connection between the fx loop and front of the amp. Then the peavey 6505+ goes into an orange 2x12 cab. I usually only run the heads volume knob on 1 or 2 at home and on 4 for gigs

So what do you guys think the EQ issue is? Could I have bad tubes, could the head be biased wrong, or is it because I run the amp at a low volume, or could it be something else?

Much thanks everyone!
I would throw a quad of JJ 6L6 GCs in there (power tubes). The preamp tubes are probably okay, but 2-3 years on power tubes is pushing it, especially if you're gigging and/or playing loud very often. I just replaced mine after almost 2 years and couldn't believe the difference! It just sounds much more full, clear, and crisp over all the frequencies.

Also, (and I feel like I've said this 5 times today already) throw an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop. It'll work wonders.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I would throw a quad of JJ 6L6 GCs in there (power tubes). The preamp tubes are probably okay, but 2-3 years on power tubes is pushing it, especially if you're gigging and/or playing loud very often. I just replaced mine after almost 2 years and couldn't believe the difference! It just sounds much more full, clear, and crisp over all the frequencies.

Also, (and I feel like I've said this 5 times today already) throw an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop. It'll work wonders.

Thanks a bunch man! Great advice. With the mxr eq would you set the amps eq controls at 12 o clock and do all the eq'ing from the pedal, or eq the amp the way you like it and fine tune with the pedal? And also would you recommend I take my amp to a tech with the JJ tubes to replace and bias because I have no clue how to bias.
You don't need to rebias a 6505, that bias adjuster is a bit of a gimmick. Just buy some and throw 'em in.
The phase inverter may be dodgey too, I'd grab a new 12AX7 to try in there. You need a spare 12AX7 anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 16, 2014,
Yeah just buy a matched pair of tubes and you are good. Also, I did notice that the presence control has a subtle (read: almost nonexistent) effect on the sound at very low volumes, opening it up past one you hear it more.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need to rebias a 6505, that bias adjuster is a bit of a gimmick. Just buy some and throw 'em in.
The phase inverter may be dodgey too, I'd grab a new 12AX7 to try in there. You need a spare 12AX7 anyway.

Hey thanks for the reply! Are you sure you don't have to bias it? I've heard that the bias adjustment things on the back are useless but you don't bias at all? And do I need to buy a matched quad or two matched pairs? Much thanks (:
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah just buy a matched pair of tubes and you are good. Also, I did notice that the presence control has a subtle (read: almost nonexistent) effect on the sound at very low volumes, opening it up past one you hear it more.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah that's what I thought, that the amp would open up at louder volumes and I could turn the presence back a bit. However I don't gig that much anymore so I have to leave it at a reasonable volume for the neighboors haha (: do I need a matched quad or can I get two matched pairs?
Quote by Smash66
Thanks for the reply! Yeah that's what I thought, that the amp would open up at louder volumes and I could turn the presence back a bit. However I don't gig that much anymore so I have to leave it at a reasonable volume for the neighboors haha (: do I need a matched quad or can I get two matched pairs?

Two matched pairs would be ok, provided you make sure to remember the pairs are inner and outer, not side by side
Here's the thing, Peavey bias their amps really cold. Turned all the way up it isn't what you'd call hot. Adjust it by ear. Whatever sounds best is where you leave it. That's pretty much how they were designed to be used. Don't stress over it, you can forget it exists and just treat it as a non-adjustable fixed biased amp.

You want a matched quad, but again, with those it doesn't really matter. Doesn't matter what conglomeration of 6L6's you toss in there. You can get away with pretty much anything with a 6505 - but theoretically you should run a matched quad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dementiacaptain
Two matched pairs would be ok, provided you make sure to remember the pairs are inner and outer, not side by side

Okay cool! much thanks!
Quote by Cathbard
Here's the thing, Peavey bias their amps really cold. Turned all the way up it isn't what you'd call hot. Adjust it by ear. Whatever sounds best is where you leave it. That's pretty much how they were designed to be used. Don't stress over it, you can forget it exists and just treat it as a non-adjustable fixed biased amp.

You want a matched quad, but again, with those it doesn't really matter. Doesn't matter what conglomeration of 6L6's you toss in there. You can get away with pretty much anything with a 6505 - but theoretically you should run a matched quad.

Thank you sir I appreciate your advice!
Quote by Cathbard

x2. Max bias was 18mA. Pretty damn cold. I normally run mine 34mA.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
TS, another thought fwiw, I've tried that x connection with my 6505+ combo (not the exact same amp I know but pretty close) and it killed both my tone and dynamics. Try just running it out in front or in the loop (wherever your noise is coming from) and see if that makes a difference. New power tubes= great thought too. I've found my presence control is pretty responsive even at low volumes, and would hesitate to blame it on that.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
I had the exact same problem with mine when i first got it. It turned out my settings on my tube screamer was causing the muddiness. Make sure tone knob on the maxon is between 12 and 2 o'clock. My gain on the tube screamer is at 12 o'clock and drive is all the way up. This single handly solved my problem. Of course you will want to tweek your amp eq after this, but you will find it sounds clearer.
Quote by pantallica87
I had the exact same problem with mine when i first got it. It turned out my settings on my tube screamer was causing the muddiness. Make sure tone knob on the maxon is between 12 and 2 o'clock. My gain on the tube screamer is at 12 o'clock and drive is all the way up. This single handly solved my problem. Of course you will want to tweek your amp eq after this, but you will find it sounds clearer.

I'd think with those settings you'd get a lot of noise?
Quote by Smash66
Thanks a bunch man! Great advice. With the mxr eq would you set the amps eq controls at 12 o clock and do all the eq'ing from the pedal, or eq the amp the way you like it and fine tune with the pedal?.

No problem! As for the EQ pedal, I still adjust my amp to where it sounds best to my ears, and then tweak with the EQ pedal. But then again, you might find that in order to hear what you want, you might need to examine WHERE you want certain frequencies boosted or cut.

For example, I like a lot of punch in my tone, and punch doesn't really come from low-bass. It comes from the low mids. So I leave the bass on my amp at a moderate setting (usually around 6-6.5), and then boost my lower mids a bit with the pedal. That preserves clarity and attack while still pulling out that "thump" that all metal-heads love.

I've also found that I don't really like "middle" mids all that much. I scoop those out a bit with the pedal and boost the upper and lower mids instead. I leave my amp's mid control at about 4.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by dementiacaptain
I'd think with those settings you'd get a lot of noise?

At high volumes, yes, you will. I have a MXR noise gate that stays on 100% of the time and it kills the noise. Best investment on board by far. I play metalcore and use high amounts of gain. Honestly just making sure that i keep my tone knob between 12 & 2 o'clock cleared up the muddiness problem for me. I then set everything on my amp eq to 0 and started from there till i found what i wanted.
Had a bunch of issues also. Here is some stuff that helped

1. Eminence blue powder speaker
2. 25 inch plus scale guitars worked better for me
3. Reverb
4. Tight cab heavy grillcloth
5. O.D.
I'd look for an EQ pedal that has a volume slider like the MXR 10 band. Boost your Master and lower the volume on the EQ (EQ in the loop) for those volume levels.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by KailM
No problem! As for the EQ pedal, I still adjust my amp to where it sounds best to my ears, and then tweak with the EQ pedal. But then again, you might find that in order to hear what you want, you might need to examine WHERE you want certain frequencies boosted or cut.

For example, I like a lot of punch in my tone, and punch doesn't really come from low-bass. It comes from the low mids. So I leave the bass on my amp at a moderate setting (usually around 6-6.5), and then boost my lower mids a bit with the pedal. That preserves clarity and attack while still pulling out that "thump" that all metal-heads love.

I've also found that I don't really like "middle" mids all that much. I scoop those out a bit with the pedal and boost the upper and lower mids instead. I leave my amp's mid control at about 4.

i know this thread is old but i'd like some input. i have a schecter soloist(tuned drop c) peavey 6505, orange 4X12 V30 cab, maxon od808, mxr 10 band eq, and a decimator pedal. i just got the mxr eq last week. ive tried different settings and it sounds muddy and dark or way to bright. could you give me your 6505 and mxr settings? i dont get this... i can tune a stereo eq with perfection. amp eq is tough for me lol.
Last edited by mph33rd at Jun 2, 2014,
Quote by mph33rd
i know this thread is old but i'd like some input. i have a schecter soloist(tuned drop c) peavey 6505, orange 4X12 V30 cab, maxon od808, mxr 10 band eq, and a decimator pedal. i just got the mxr eq last week. ive tried different settings and it sounds muddy and dark or way to bright. could you give me your 6505 and mxr settings? i dont get this... i can tune a stereo eq with perfection. amp eq is tough for me lol.

A little advise- make your own thread. Everyone will see the first guys problems and respond to that and not yours. They typically don't look at the dates.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.