7 5%
12 9%
14 10%
12 9%
30 22%
42 31%
Voters: 135.
Page 1 of 4
I'm 22, really hate my flat and want to move back in with my parents for a bit. I'm a university student (Law) and have a few years left of my double degree. Money is tight and my flat sucks.

Poll coming.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Mar 17, 2014,
hmm

Id say once you hit your 30's, you need to move the hell out by then.

Id say 25 would be a good age to move out. You'd be established enough or should be by then unless your becoming a doctor or something.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Mar 17, 2014,
Depends on the culture, in my culture its okay to live with your parents until you get married, at which point you move into your own place. That is usually at maximum your very early 30's
Last edited by Infinitychord95 at Mar 17, 2014,
whats an acceptable and where can i buy one
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
If you're financially able to support yourself, you should move out. If you're not financially able to support yourself by age 25... idk, hopefully you have some kind of excuse or else you're kind of a lazy moocher.

However, I think that anyone would agree it's acceptable to move back with your parents for periods of time when transitioning between stuff... like jobs, or spouses, or something like that. I'm probably going to have to live with my parents for a bit when I move back to America, but only long enough to get a first paycheck and find my own place.

I've known plenty of people to live with their rents past 25, and they're good dudes. But I feel like your 20s is when you're to learn how to be independent, and if your 25 you're kinda... wasting your time, so to speak. You know, what with only getting one lifetime of approximately 60 to 80 years. I would never kick my kid to the curb, but I would feel like something is wrong with him if HE didn't want to have his own place by age 25, and have the means to do it as well.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by vilk
If you're financially able to support yourself, you should move out. If you're not financially able to support yourself by age 25... idk, hopefully you have some kind of excuse or else you're kind of a lazy moocher.

However, I think that anyone would agree it's acceptable to move back with your parents for periods of time when transitioning between stuff... like jobs, or spouses, or something like that. I'm probably going to have to live with my parents for a bit when I move back to America, but only long enough to get a first paycheck and find my own place.

I've known plenty of people to live with their rents past 25, and they're good dudes. But I feel like your 20s is when you're to learn how to be independent, and if your 25 you're kinda... wasting your time, so to speak. You know, what with only getting one lifetime of approximately 60 to 80 years. I would never kick my kid to the curb, but I would feel like something is wrong with him if HE didn't want to have his own place by age 25, and have the means to do it as well.

I agree with lots of this. I'm 21 ATM, and I already feel too old to be living with my parents. I should be out within a few months, but I feel like I can't even try to get involved in a relationship or anything right now because who wants to date the dude in his 20's who lives with his parents?
I'd say 25. By that time if you haven't figured out how to be independent, you need to rethink your plans in life.
At the ago of 25, most people could have completed a university degree, and be starting in their career, or holding down a job.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I'm gonna move out in a couple of months when i'm 17, it's too crowded here, my sister who is 24 still lives at home, and her boyfriend liver here too who is 25, and their baby, because they'd rather spend all their benefits getting chinese takeaways every night instead of saving up to move out.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
I'm gonna move out in a couple of months when i'm 17, it's too crowded here, my sister who is 24 still lives at home, and her boyfriend liver here too who is 25, and their baby, because they'd rather spend all their benefits getting chinese takeaways every night instead of saving up to move out.

good luck with that

Living with parents =/= being independent

it's sort of a necessity here because housing prices are insane
cat
I'm 24 and out the people in my group of friends only one lives on his own, and its because his mom just passed away and left him the house. A few of us have lived on our own for periods of time. I did for 3 years, but it was definitely too soon and set me back a bit. Now I'm paying ff my debt before I move back out, it would be pretty stupid to do otherwise.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Depends on too many factors, I moved out when I was 19, it was ****ton terrible, I'd be so broke and bored I'd just find booze and nearly drink myself to death every day. I moved back in 3 months and haven't really thought much about moving out again. My last job didn't pay nearly enough for me to support myself, and I can't get state aid whether I get paid little or nothing.
Once I finish college, Im out.
I work full time (40-50 hrs a week), and will be starting full time schooling online soon as well. Moving out isn't in my best interests.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by stratkat
Depends on too many factors, I moved out when I was 19, it was ****ton terrible, I'd be so broke and bored I'd just find booze and nearly drink myself to death every day. I moved back in 3 months and haven't really thought much about moving out again. My last job didn't pay nearly enough for me to support myself, and I can't get state aid whether I get paid little or nothing.
That's why it's best to find a roommate or two. You'll find that covering the rent with 3 people is much easier, and you'll be less inclined to sad and lonely overdrinking when you're with your buddies. Of course, conversely, you might still drink a lot, but you'll enjoy it instead of just trying to put yourself to sleep because life is miserable.
Listen. I'm sorry.
when ur a rockstar
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I'd say 25. By that time if you haven't figured out how to be independent, you need to rethink your plans in life.
At the ago of 25, most people could have completed a university degree, and be starting in their career, or holding down a job.

Quote by vilk

I don't think this is realistic. Most people at age 25 can barely afford their own apartment in this financial climate and the rise in house prices hasn't caused a rise in job salaries. I know it isn't ideal to not have an apartment at that point but not everyone in the world is in exactly the same financial situation.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 17, 2014,
if you don't move out at after high school, I hope you at least have a job and are paying your parents a bit of rent.

if you don't move out after the age of 21, wat r u doin
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
if you don't move out at after high school, I hope you at least have a job and are paying your parents a bit of rent.

if you don't move out after the age of 21, wat r u doin

Saving would be the likely answer.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't think this is realistic. Most people at age 25 can barely afford their own apartment in this financial climate and the rise in house prices hasn't caused a rise in job salaries. I know it isn't ideal to not have an apartment at that point but not everyone in the world is in exactly the same financial situation.

I think it's very much realistic (as it's reality for me and many other people), but I'll admit that yeah these hard economic times can easily throw a wrench in the gears.

So maybe, if you're educated, by 25 you should be good to go. But if you're walking around with a high school degree and nothing more, I guess it might be a little harder.

But also like I said above--roommates! You don't need to pay all the bills on your own. A couple dudes making minimum can probably throw together some kind of pad. And with three people you can probably get yourself a pretty decent place!
Listen. I'm sorry.
When you stop using a condom.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by vilk
I think it's very much realistic (as it's reality for me and many other people), but I'll admit that yeah these hard economic times can easily throw a wrench in the gears.

So maybe, if you're educated, by 25 you should be good to go. But if you're walking around with a high school degree and nothing more, I guess it might be a little harder.

But also like I said above--roommates! You don't need to pay all the bills on your own. A couple dudes making minimum can probably throw together some kind of pad. And with three people you can probably get yourself a pretty decent place!

It totally depends on the area you live. No where in my area would I be able to really live on minimum wage even with roommates. But, if you're in your 20's and still just making minimum wage, wat r u doin.
Quote by TheChaz
It totally depends on the area you live. No where in my area would I be able to really live on minimum wage even with roommates. But, if you're in your 20's and still just making minimum wage, wat r u doin.

I know a lot of people with college degrees who can only get minimum wage.

I'm hoping to be out by the beginning of next year. I'll be 22.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have a friend, he's a lovely guy but he's coming up to 35 now and he works 25 hours a week in a local supermarket. He still lives at home and his Mother makes his dinner for him, washes his clothes etc.

While he is a really nice guy, it's actually getting to the point where you wonder what's wrong with him.

I mean, he's coming up to ****ing 40...

Btw, the poll is TS's idea of a lowest and highest age, not societies. 26 is fine Imo, it's when you starting getting closer to 30 that you should be doing things for yourself and not relying on mummy.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Mar 17, 2014,
im 21 still living at home

i am helping a bit with the bills though id love to move out
but seeing as im a full time student studying engineering and i dont get any financial aid so moving out isnt exactly an option if i want to live

by 25 though you should at least be thignking of moving out soon
I think you should be all moved out as soon as you've finished all of the schooling that you intend to do, and have a job. Once you meet those requirements, it's time to leave the basement.

In terms of what age you finish school and find a job, that can vary. If you call it quits after finishing high school, then the age is 18 or so. If you go to uni, then 21. If you do any post-uni studies, it might be later. I got up and out of my parents' place at 21, as soon as I finished uni (even though I lived at uni the whole time I was there, so technically I was out of my parents' place by 18).

I would say if you have been done with school for a year and still haven't got a job or your own place, you're stepping into loser territory. Every circumstance is different, though.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Nelshizzle
When you stop using a condom.

Quote by JackalUK
Saving would be the likely answer.

banned
Quote by BladeSlinger
I know a lot of people with college degrees who can only get minimum wage.

I'm hoping to be out by the beginning of next year. I'll be 22.

Sorry, but that's bullshit. My first job I made more than minimum wage. You can work in a restaurant and make tips or work in the kitchen and most cooks get paid more than minimum. Right now I'm making about 15/hr with my tips counted. Construction pays more than minimum. There's plenty of jobs out there that pay better than minimum. You usually just have to busy your ass to make that extra money.
Quote by vilk

There is also another factor that'll hinder people's ability to move out that I've forgotten to mention -Good luck finding a bank that is confident enough to give you a mortgage in this financial climate.

My point is that there are too many factors that are outside of a person's control to make generalizations as to what age they should move out.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I'm 22. I rent my own two bedroom apartment by myself, hold down a full time job and can afford to take two overseas trips this year. I've been self sufficient since I was 19. I own all my possessions (no debts or loans etc) and can afford to live pretty comfortably.

Wanna know what I do for a living?

I'm a desk jockey for the state government, which doesn't pay nearly as well as you'd think. I'm just very good at managing my money.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I'm 22. I rent my own two bedroom apartment by myself, hold down a full time job and can afford to take two overseas trips this year. I've been self sufficient since I was 19. I own all my possessions (no debts or loans etc) and can afford to live pretty comfortably.

Wanna know what I do for a living?

I'm a desk jockey for the state government, which doesn't pay nearly as well as you'd think. I'm just very good at managing my money.

That's nice. Doesn't really prove anything though.

Maybe when you actually buy a house I'll listen.
Quote by TheSennaj
I think a distinction needs to be made between people moving out to rent and those moving out into their own home. Getting your own home is much more difficult.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's nice. Doesn't really prove anything though.

Actually it does....it proves that it's possible to move out of home before the age of 25 without needing a job that rains money on you.

I'm in the process of saving up for a deposit on a house. Within about 2 years I'll have the money behind me to make a 20% deposit on a house.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Mar 17, 2014,
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Actually it does....it proves that it's possible to move out of home before the age of 25 without needing a job that rains money on you.

That doesn't mean that everyone should do it though. Living in a tiny apartment, with mortgages at decent rates being a thing of the past, while doing a job that barely makes enough money to pay for food is not for everyone. I know this because I've done it before. It shouldn't be frowned upon to choose to not live that sort of life and to bide one's time until they're making a more substantial income.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by i_lovemetallica

I really wanted that to say "disc jockey"
banned

Quote by deadsmileyface

i really wanted it to say "dick jockey"
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That doesn't mean that everyone should do it though. Living in a tiny apartment with mortgages at decent rates being a thing of the past, while doing a job that barely makes enough money to pay for food is not for everyone. I know this because I've done it before. It shouldn't be frowned upon to choose to not live that sort of life and to bide their time until they're making a more substantial income.

Oh too true my friend. I should perhaps quantify this by saying that where I come from, many kids refused to move out of home because they can't afford the playboy mansion on an apprentice's wage.

It's one of my pet hates when I go back and visit my home town and see people I went to school with who are doing jobs that pay similar to me, but unless they can afford to live in a three bedroom house with a live in butler and a ferrari as their car, they won't move out because it's just too damn hard (in their opinion)

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not as hard as many people think to leave home and gain your independence whilst performing an average wage job. I appreciate that in different parts of the world (and even different parts of the state I live in) employment rates and housing prices fluctuate, so I can appreciate when some people have to live with their parents for lengthy periods of time.

I made very conscious choices when I was younger to set myself up for my future in terms of making savings and so forth. It's a pity it's not something taught in schools today, or by people's parents.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I don't know. I moved out at 21. Where i live it's very hard to get an apartment though, so loads of people live at home much longer than that.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Quote by deadsmileyface

Me too bro, but my boss vetoed that idea.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 4