So I just bought a Pod HD500, and when I get paid in 2 days I'm going to be buying a powered speaker for it.
What I was wondering however, is pretty much the comparison between a 10/12/15 inch speakers and if it's worth the price getting a larger speaker.

I've been leaning towards grabbing this speaker:

http://www.behringer.com/en/products/B210D.aspx

The other one that it seems it would be competing for is this one:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215D.aspx

Now the price difference between the two is $180, however for a 21 year old uni student that's quite a lot of money sadly.

I'll add some additional info that i think will help.

It will be used ONLY in my home.
I'm focusing more on a warm clean sound, with no general focus on highs/mids/lows. I'd like an all rounded sound, probably focused a tiny tiny bit more down the mid/low end.
I play primarily experimental / progressive jazz and metal. I guess more than anything I'd be chasing more of a Dream Theater-esque sound which is pretty all rounded in my opinion.
Anyways, hopefully somebody can help me out.

Thanks
Between those two, the B215D seems overkill to me, and the B210D only has a 10" speaker (i tend to prefer 12" speakers). Furthermore, it's a woofer, which is designed more specifically towards low frequencies.

Wouldn't a B112D be cheaper and a better option? It has a regular 12" speaker, which is much more suited to what you want, IMHO.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 17, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman
Wouldn't a B112D be cheaper and a better option? It has a regular 12" speaker, which is much more suited to what you want, IMHO.

Very valid point. Just had a look at it and it's only $30 extra. Seems like the right choice.
Watch Craigslist for somebody flogging off some proper powered foldback wedges. They are the sort of thing that gets sold first and cheapest. You're likely to pick up something worth having for the same price if you bide your time. Yamaha, JBL, Mackie, Altec, Peavey or any other number of makers, well, lets be real, anybody but Behringer really.

Find one with a 12" speaker and 100+W. Smaller and less powerful are usually rubbish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 17, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
(...) anybody but Behringer really.

Behringer's PA stuff is actually good quality and very reliable, believe it or not. But it's the only thing they know how to do right.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I've used their PA bins. Not impressed at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ +311.
They say behringer also make a pair of monitors copied from famous adam's that sound really good, but I still haven't heard anything with a behringer logo on it sounding good.

Seriously man, don't get any behringer stuff that emits or processes sound.

Unless you particularly wanted a pair of speakers of that kind for some reason (like monitoring in a gig) I'd rather get a couple studio monitors - yamaha hs7, mackie mr8..
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The suggestion to look into studio monitors is a good one. I'm running a Pod into a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. For near field, medium volume (these run up to around 108dB) use, these give you relatively flat response and good bottom end.

PA cabs like the Behringer can very widely, but most of them tend NOT to be very flat response in the lower price ranges. They usually have exaggerated bass response to please the DJ crowd (their biggest customer).

The 10's should be fine. Don't buy these with your eyes -- a 12" speaker doesn't necessarily produce more/better bass response than a 10", nor does a 15" sound necessarily bassier than a 10".

Whatever you do, don't blame the HD500 for having shortcomings soundwise. More often than not it's a case of getting a good flat response speaker system AND an adequately tweaked user preset, and then it really comes alive.
Cheers for the responses guys. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to speakers so all the advice is much appreciated.
I've started looking at speakers below $400aud (my budget) that have been suggested. The Mackie MR8 and KRK Rokit 8 seem like solid speakers, my only concern is that would 8 inch speakers provide not enough bass? That being said a couple of you did say it doesn't matter too much, but it's hard to not heed Cathbard's advice when he is on the top of the list of who to listen to in this forum haha. Also, I'm not sure which one i'd go for? As i said i'm pretty clueless with this stuff and at the end of the day they both just look like sexy sleek speaker cabs to me :s
I also looked at a Mackie Thump 12", but it looked not too suitable for playing guitar through. Even the name suggests it's just a wub box for festival like music.
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 17, 2014,
Quote by vayne92
Cheers for the responses guys. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to speakers so all the advice is much appreciated.
I've started looking at speakers below $400aud (my budget) that have been suggested. The Mackie MR8 and KRK Rokit 8 seem like solid speakers, my only concern is that would 8 inch speakers provide not enough bass? That being said a couple of you did say it doesn't matter too much, but it's hard to not heed Cathbard's advice when he is on the top of the list of who to listen to in this forum haha. Also, I'm not sure which one i'd go for? As i said i'm pretty clueless with this stuff and at the end of the day they both just look like sexy sleek speaker cabs to me :s
I also looked at a Mackie Thump 12", but it looked not too suitable for playing guitar through. Even the name suggests it's just a wub box for festival like music.

http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/speaker-size-frequency-response.htm
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ cath was probably talking about pa speakers, which in general are low tire ones.
Monitors though aren't that big anyway and they make high quality small ones, so...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I was talking about PA speakers. A decent PA wedge should be nice and flat and lend itself well to the task at hand but can also work for jamming with friends as well. I am a gigging musician, I always look at things through the eyes of a performer. When it comes to PA foldback wedges, I have found anything smaller than 12" and 100W are toys and sound like toys.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I prefer a 10" powered speaker as a good compromise in terms of weight and tone. Anyone needing a chest thumping bass should get a subwoofer. Check out the Samson Auro. Its price is similar to Behringer.

I wouldn't recommend monitor speakers, unless they will be placed on a permanent location. They are too delicate to throw into the trunk of your car and are not designed for rough handling.
Last edited by royc at Mar 19, 2014,
He wrote they would be used in his home only, so why bothering 'bout what you can throw in a car's trunk?

Plus, this - "Anyone needing a chest thumping bass should get a subwoofer."
Anyone needing a chest thumping bass should raise the damn volume, though that's not exactly what you want when playing at your home at low volumes.
And 10" subs put out a fair amount of bass content y' know.

Unless you're talking about a pa system, that looks just like what he doesn't need.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Used at home only?? Forget all the PA stuff cause you don't need 120db. A nice pair of powered near field monitors like kRk Rokit or M Audio AV 40s will sound great. Remember that the lowest note on a guitar is 82hz so buying big 15" speakers that reproduce 45 hz is not money well spent.

If you must buy PA gear, buy quality. A used Yamaha, EV, JBL will give you a lot more quality for the same $$ as new cheapie stuff. I am sure Behringer makes fine equipment but so far I have not heard any I liked. A used JBL EON 10 would be a gig quality setup for about $200.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLEON10G2
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 19, 2014,
Dunnow about these jbl's in particular.

I mean I used a pair of them some months ago for an acoustic gig in a closed space and they sounded a bit meh and they weren't as powerful as I would have liked.

Have a look at mackie's stuff too maybe, that's killer for the price.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
He wrote they would be used in his home only, so why bothering 'bout what you can throw in a car's trunk?

Plus, this - "Anyone needing a chest thumping bass should get a subwoofer."
Anyone needing a chest thumping bass should raise the damn volume, though that's not exactly what you want when playing at your home at low volumes.
And 10" subs put out a fair amount of bass content y' know.

Unless you're talking about a pa system, that looks just like what he doesn't need.

Sorry, but I always think ahead when buying gears. A guitarist's dream is to gig or at least jam somewhere. A powered speaker is very portable and easy to position anywhere. You don't need to put them on shelves or tables. Just put them on the floor and point them towards you wherever you are, in your room, the lawn, or someone else's place. My car trunk statement was meant to explain how tough it is.

A 10" powered speaker has enough bass for personal use, hence, the reason I suggested it. I know how much bass it puts out coz I have one. We use it when jamming at home and the office. I even have to reduce the bass on it when I connect my digital drums. Even my drummer use one as his monitor for his electronic drums.

Powered speakers are not just for PA. It is a versatile gear that can be used for acoustic guitars, electrics on amp emulators, keyboards, digital drums, and audio players. You won't regret buying one.

My subwoofer comment? Anyone familiar with PA knows that you need a subwoofer if you need deep bass.
Last edited by royc at Mar 19, 2014,