Hey guys, I was looking to buy an amp in the $600-800 range and came across these 2 amps.
What will sound good thru my Gibson LP?
Which handles blues better?
What handles classic rock better?
How long until the ac15 breaks up?
How do they take pedals?
Are they worth the price?
Any other amps in that price range?
Where in the world are you located?
Are you willing to buy used?
What other gear do you have already?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Live in the Philadelphia area
Willing to buy used
Gibson Les Paul, Bugera v55head, Fender Frontman212r(used as a cab), Boss BD2, Boss Rc3, Boss Tr2
In that case, I would skip those amps altogether and just get a used Marshall DSL50 or a used Marshall 2204.

If you went for the DSL you should also have enough leftover for a good cab. Marshall 1960s go for dirt cheap, I'm talking like $350 on the regular. $300 easy if you don't mind if the condition is poor. Definitely worth saving up an extra hundred or so if you need to though.

You can also get good speakers for your FM. Musicians Friend carries WGS speakers now, which are excellent value. They have Greenback, G12H30 & G12T75 clones, among the rest of the usual suspects.

But that's my tonal preference obviously.

We could help you better if you gave us some specific examples of tones you'd like to get close to.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 17, 2014,
that's a bit of a mixture there, unfortunately. those guys use both fenders and voxes (among other things).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a Gibson LP through a Fender BDR. It sounds great after you play around with the EQ and Presence knobs.

Though, you will NOT be able to get Jimmy Page/Led Zep tones without the help of an OD pedal.

Though I will admit, that the gain channel is rather useless. So again that OD pedal is needed for heavier/more distortion. I use the OCD by Fulltone and I think it sounds great.

That being said, I've never played through a Vox AC15, so I can't tell you which one I prefer, but I have had the BDR for about 10 months and I still find it a great amp.
If you need cleans that can keep up with a fairly loud drummer then the Fender is what you need. An AC15 will have some distortion at that volume.

The DSL50 suggestion is a good one, or a DSL100 for that matter. Gary Moore used a couple of DSL100's for his live sound so if you want to hear one used as a blues amp seek out some of his live performances. Best live blues tone of all time IMO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for all the help. I'll try to keep a lookout on any Marshall's that come my way
Just a word of warning, don't buy a DSL made prior to 2003 unless you know for a fact that it has had the rectifier upgraded properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
DSL is definitly a good choice, also check out the Peavey Classic 30 (or 50), would suit you well and is easily in buget.
you already have a bugera V55 head? that is pretty nice sounding amp IMO, does the american thing quite well. i think you should just buy a really nice cab for that. running it through the speakers in the fender FM is going to sound awful and make you GAS hard for a new amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^ yeah good call. i forgot about that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Find an Egnater Tweaker 40.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I'd probably get a new cab. Unless you have very specific speaker needs cabs already loaded with good speakers are normally not much more than speakers separately, plus when you consider that you could always sell the frontman...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd probably get a new cab. Unless you have very specific speaker needs cabs already loaded with good speakers are normally not much more than speakers separately, plus when you consider that you could always sell the frontman...

this. sell the frontman. even if you only get 60 bucks from it, that 60 bucks towards a new cab. and then in the future, if you want more tonal options, you can just purchase another head and you already have a cab.
i have a heavily modded SF bassman 50, with a 212 cab that was built by a company in my city. love it. and then a month ago i found a tweaker 15 for 40% off at my local GC, so now i have a different amp as well. i love combos too, but its so easy to start adding to your arsenal with heads and cabs.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.