Every time I watch a YouTube video of an overdrive pedal (specifically transparent ones), I can't help thinking "This thing offers no sound that I can't already get from my amp". They all just sound like a light, touch sensitive drive, much like a tube amp already delivers. So why does everyone go crazy over these pedals?
Most people use them to push their tube amp's preamp harder. You do it to either:
A. Push the amp into more distortion than it would otherwise be capable of
B. Push the amp harder so you can get more distortion on the fly without having to adjust the amp
C. As a form of EQ that can be turned on and off easily.

In ye olde days before multiple channel amps came onto the market, the overdrive was effectively channel 2. If you have a two channel amp, an OD pedal effectively turns it into a 4 channel amp. They are used to expand the number of distortion levels available at the click of a footswitch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 17, 2014,
That makes sense. I guess its more of a convenience thing, especially in a live setting. Thanks for the info!
well some do add quite a flavor to the tone, so really it can be an easy way to offer a tone you cant get out of your amp at all.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
everything that's been said above. if your amp is already being driven pretty hard, you could use an OD pedal as a boost for leads. I prefer the idea of a fuzz going into a driven amp and rolling your volume knob off to clean up your tone for rhythm playing etc
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
in addition to what's been said above, they can add saturation etc. which can be difficult to get at lower volumes. they sound and feel a wee bit different to just turning up your amp's gain (plus give you more options as cath rightly said).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
in addition to what's been said above, they can add saturation etc. which can be difficult to get at lower volumes.

Yeah, totally true, my amp sounds a lot better in low volumes when boosted with OD.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My amp of choice is an AC30, which is a single channel amp.
I run it clean and get my dirt from pedals.

And this below:
(Mostly "B" but a little "C" as well)

Quote by Cathbard
Most people use them to push their tube amp's preamp harder. You do it to either:
A. Push the amp into more distortion than it would otherwise be capable of
B. Push the amp harder so you can get more distortion on the fly without having to adjust the amp
C. As a form of EQ that can be turned on and off easily.

In ye olde days before multiple channel amps came onto the market, the overdrive was effectively channel 2. If you have a two channel amp, an OD pedal effectively turns it into a 4 channel amp. They are used to expand the number of distortion levels available at the click of a footswitch.
Quote by CodeMonk
My amp of choice is an AC30, which is a single channel amp.
I run it clean and get my dirt from pedals.

I have an AC15, and although I haven't tried a huge number of dirt pedals through it, the ones that I've tried just don't sound as good as the amp's overdrive.

But I could definitely see how it would be helpful. One thing I don't like about this amp is having to switch the master and channel volume levels to go from clean to dirty.
Some amps really take to an OD pedal and some do not. The amount of boost provided really varies from amp to amp. The most important factor is the saturation of the pre-amp tubes.

For example, my 5150 has a ton of pre-amp gain already. I have put a TS-9 in front of it and it was basically useless. Trying to further drive the already massively saturated pre-amp tubes had little effect. Actually, with that amp playing active pick ups has a much better effect than the boost pedal did.

On the other hand I have a Sunn model T that can go from a great blues sound to a full on metal roar by putting the Bad Monkey in the signal path. Due to the low pre-amp saturation I have to put the amp on like 5 to get the sound I like. A Model T on 5 is enough to bring the house down, so being able to get the gain I like with the volume at 2 requires a boost pedal.

Hopefully that makes sense.
I use it mainly to tighten up a sound. Really gives a nice attack to your picking.
You have an amp that overdrives really well and at fairly reasonable volumes, not everyone does.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!