Usually the manufacturers say so in the advertising, or in the pedal name itself. Other than that, check the technical information/specifications sheet for the pedal.

If you want, say what's the pedal in question and i'll check it for you.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Digital pedals tend to have a higher current draw, say more than 30mA @ 9v, and even that is very high for an all analogue pedal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Yeah if you tell us what the pedal is, we can (hopefully) tell you for sure what it is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If it sounds good, does it matter?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

THIS

It doesn't depends if it's analog or digital, it depends on the quality of the work it went into to develop it.

If an analog is using shitty basic circuitry then it probably will be shit.

If a digital pedal has only a few lines of code to execute the functions then it will probably be shit.

I'm so tired of this analog vs digital shit.
Quote by Linkerman
Usually the manufacturers say so in the advertising, or in the pedal name itself.

This isn't always accurate though. Like the Joyo Analog delay is digital. It's just 'analog voiced'.
I agree with both Spambot2 and GaryB
RIP Gooze

cats
Op-amps are analogue. In fact they were invented for analogue computing.
That's where the name comes from - operational amplifier. ie operations like addition, multiplication, differentiation, etc. but all done in contiguous analogue voltages.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 19, 2014,
Analogue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Both are completely analogue pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Clay-man
If an analog is using shitty basic circuitry then it probably will be shit.

If a digital pedal has only a few lines of code to execute the functions then it will probably be shit.

I'm so tired of this analog vs digital shit.
The problem usually lies in the ADCs and DACs used in guitar pedals which are shit in most cases - every sub-$200 digital pedal I can think of.

Then again, lotsa analogue pedals sound bad too...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by mulefish
This isn't always accurate though. Like the Joyo Analog delay is digital. It's just 'analog voiced'.

Wow. Really? Someone should sue them for using a misleading product name.

I didn't know, i never checked Joyo pedals since they're not available around here.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
^ Yeah, from what I've read in the Joyo thread I think they get away with calling it analogue because it's supposedly voiced to sound like an analogue pedal.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

Not likely, but in some instances you want to know how the pedal operates for some reason. For instance, a modder would probably steer clear of digital pedals.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ Yeah. While I don't disagree with the "Who cares if it sounds good?" approach, at the same time there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone might want to know.

Aside from anything else, if it doesn't matter as long as it sounds good, why not tell the truth about what it is?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I think we should ask blackstar

But seriously, half of the people who bought HT1s and HT5s came back home happy and telling everybody "hey man I'm so happy I got my first super convenient super small amazing sounding tube amp".
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Analogue.
No digital stuff.
Analogue.
Everything...
Analogue...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ I think we should ask blackstar

But seriously, half of the people who bought HT1s and HT5s came back home happy and telling everybody "hey man I'm so happy I got my first super convenient super small amazing sounding tube amp".

lol

Quote by themanipulation
Not even "analog voiced"?

yeah analogue

it tends to be only delays which are "analogue-voiced"...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah that one's analogue. When we said delays pedals sometimes are analogue-voiced and actually digital, that doesn't mean all of them. some are genuinely analogue.

as i said in my first post, if there's anything specific you're interested in we can (hopefully) tell you which it is. We can give you rough rules of thumb and things to watch out for, but there's no hard and fast rule to know for sure. You just kind of have to treat each one on its own merits...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GaryBillington
Some people just like to know how things tick. People like that often become technicians you know?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Some people just like to know how things tick. People like that often become technicians you know?

I know - but there are also some people who only care about this sort of thing because they think analogue is cool and digital sucks because it's digital (insert pointless argument for potentially unimportant question here to cover all threads).

It's always worth asking why someone wants to know, sometimes the right answer is that it doesn't matter - but as soon as it becomes technical I back away quickly because I'm proud to know f*** all about how things work....my kit is all powered by magic
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Analog pedals are great.

Digital pedals are great.

Good pedals are great.

Pedulz
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I don't even think there are any digital Japanese Boss pedals.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't even think there are any digital Japanese Boss pedals.

Arr Anarog...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
aloej, this website should answer all of your questions about Boss pedals.

http://www.bossarea.com/

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X