So I was browsing the forum and noticed A LOT of people seem to dislike Epiphone acoustics. I own the Inspired by 1964 Texan guitar, and love it, so I was wondering why a lot of people dislike them? Is it just the all-laminate ones people dislike? I haven't played those, so I can't judge those...I'm just curious.
we're primarily speaking of the modern epiphones except for the masterbilt line. they tend to be unimpressive tonally, and also quality control isn't all that good - although that's true of gibson in general. frets not seated correctly, finish issues and inlays not properly placed are issues i see on a lot of epis. but my main issue is tone, and all that being said, there are a few guitars in their lines that can be okay - if you have a developed ear, as the lack of QC means not all of a particular model will sound the same.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Most people who dislike Epiphones never owned one
or owned one many years ago,
or just played the beaten down floor models at guitar-center....,
or they've heard of a friend who knows someone who've had a bad experience with an Epi.....
i think Patti pretty much nailed it.
while i've never owned one, i've tried quite a few out in well maintained music shops and found that quality control is next to inexistant. warped neck right out of the box on a Hummingbird i looked at. glue sticking out where it should have been wiped off on a few of them. uneven fretwork. i dont have any friends, so i don't know of anyone who's had a bad experience with them.
at the Epi's price point, there are just so many better choices i find. yamaha, seagull, even a few fenders that i've tried...heck i even picked up a new tim armstrong hellcat that impressed me at it's price point.(thanks Patti)
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
...[ ].... i dont have any friends, so i don't know of anyone who's had a bad experience with them. ...[ ].....
I'll be your friend, Step!

That way, if my left handed EJ-200 ever gets off of back order, and it sucks,if or when I actually get it, I'll have someone to complain to.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 18, 2014,
Quote by stepchildusmc
i think Patti pretty much nailed it.
while i've never owned one, i've tried quite a few out in well maintained music shops and found that quality control is next to inexistant. warped neck right out of the box on a Hummingbird i looked at. glue sticking out where it should have been wiped off on a few of them. uneven fretwork. i dont have any friends, so i don't know of anyone who's had a bad experience with them.
at the Epi's price point, there are just so many better choices i find. yamaha, seagull, even a few fenders that i've tried...heck i even picked up a new tim armstrong hellcat that impressed me at it's price point.(thanks Patti)

Any "well maintained" shop should not offer any guitar with those issues, you describe.....
they should check the guitars before selling - and sent them back if there are any faults....
Quote by paruwi
Any "well maintained" shop should not offer any guitar with those issues, you describe.....
they should check the guitars before selling - and sent them back if there are any faults....

what good is a guitar shop with but one guitar?
i do work with a lot of guitars when i'm home. i get them from all ends of the guitar spectrum for the plain and simple fact that i don't want to offer an opinion here that i dont have experience with. i'm kinda funny like that. i dont believe that you can form an accurate opinion on an instrument from 20 minutes in a shop. most regulars here will tell you that i spend a stupid amount of money on guitars so that you dont have to.
the hummingbird was one i was interested in buying as others on this and the AGF forum posted a lot of interest in them. the 2 on the floor had quality issues so the last one that hadnt been opened yet was brought out. it ended up being the worst of the 3.
i'm a big fan of epiphones electrics. i have a custom PRO LP that will hold its own against guitars of 4 times the price. i wish they would put the same effort into the acoustic line.
Quote by Captaincranky
I'll be your friend, Step!

That way, if my left handed EJ-200 ever gets off of back order, and it sucks,if or when I actually get it, I'll have someone to complain to.....

you wouldn't want me as a friend buddy ! haven't changed my socks since Reagan left office out of protest. my own country keeps sending me to the other side of the world to be rid of me...even after "retirement" ! my cat leaves"i hate you" notes written in cat litter, Denny Zagar laughs at me (oh..the horror and humiliation)!
Quote by stepchildusmc
you wouldn't want me as a friend buddy ! haven't changed my socks since Reagan left office out of protest. my own country keeps sending me to the other side of the world to be rid of me...even after "retirement" ! my cat leaves"i hate you" notes written in cat litter, Denny Zagar laughs at me (oh..the horror and humiliation)!
Well Step, I'm a-feared of gittin' in a dirty sock contest witcha! But let me tell you, my socks ain't been washed since Obama took office.

Let's put or differences on hold for a while, and think about the welfare of our socks. Maybe we could arrange a play date for them. Hell, either pair, is old enough to stand up on its own.