My amp (Peavey vypyr 30 if it matters) has a headphone output, but is it alright to play through headphones, like decent over-ear ones, not buds, or is it like playing a bass through a guitar amp?
if it has a headphone output, then it will be just fine. its designed for that. i have no idea if it will sound amazing or anything, but it wont hurt anything.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Headphone output is exactly that, meant for headphones for late at night practice. I dont know if Vypyr has cabinet emulation behind the headphone out but even if it doesnt the cleans will be fine but distortion becomes a hideous fizzy mess, almost like white noise.

Simply put, it is safe and built in feature of the amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Lord_Elmo
My amp (Peavey vypyr 30 if it matters) has a headphone output, but is it alright to play through headphones,

Ok, reread that....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Ok, reread that....

Hey, you never know if it could be a self destruct feature Peavey built in just to be assholes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Arby911
Ok, reread that....

Electronics are weird, i wanted to know if normal headphones were okay, and Peavey weren't assuming everyone had some kind of heavy duty headphones intended for that.

Bitch.
Quote by Lord_Elmo
Electronics are weird, i wanted to know if normal headphones were okay, and Peavey weren't assuming everyone had some kind of heavy duty headphones intended for that.

Bitch.

For consumer electronics and generic studio work there are no special headphones. Some headphones are low impedance (earbuds and portable in general) and some are high (some hifi and studio headphones), thats about only difference that means anything and neither causes anything to self destruct.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Lord_Elmo

Bitch.

The Vypyr 30 is a nice little amp, how are you liking it?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Lord_Elmo
or is it like playing a bass through a guitar amp?
Dunnow where this came from, but there's no harm of any kind in playing bass through a guitar amp either y' know.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Dunnow where this came from, but there's no harm of any kind in playing bass through a guitar amp either y' know.

Bass freq's can over time (and depending on how hard you push them) cause problems with speakers that aren't spec'd for them but agree that it won't hurt the amp itself in any way.
Charles Darwin
From what I've seen, guitar speakers sacrifice lotsa reproduction fidelity for lotsa thoughness.
They're made to handle exaggerated transients and stuff of that kind.
Plus, both v30s and T75s have suspensions though as **** - i don't see them negatively affected by a particularly bassy set of frequencies anytime soon.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Arby911

The Vypyr 30 is a nice little amp, how are you liking it?

Very much, 'nice little amp' is a good description, probably the best of it's kind of price range. I often feel like upgrading but really if I did I think I'd get a bigger vypyr, with the sanpera they're awesome. Do you have vypyr experience too?
Quote by Spambot_2

I thought it was pretty widely agreed it screws up the speaker, different frequencies etc. Not like a one-off use is gonna turn it into Hiroshima, but over a lot of uses it's pretty bad.
Quote by MaaZeus
For consumer electronics and generic studio work there are no special headphones. Some headphones are low impedance (earbuds and portable in general) and some are high (some hifi and studio headphones), thats about only difference that means anything and neither causes anything to self destruct.

Okie dokie, thanks very much, o' knowledgeable one.