Hello,
what are some good pickups that offer me a different tone that the usual EMG 81, 85 and 60? I'd like to have it less compressed, with a wider range then those pickups, more natural. Will be used for cleans and heavy distortion, alot of fast downpickings and melodic solos.
Can be active or passive

my amp: EVH 5150 III 50W

thanks
Have you tried 18v mod? This increases the dynamic range of EMG 81 dramatically.

You could try Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Its a direct swap, no need to change pots and jacks like going passive would need.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
If you want actives, the EMG X series are soposed to be more passive like. The Seymour Duncan Blackouts are also nice and have a more organic/open tone than the EMG.

Seymour Duncan SH-6 is a great passive pickup. You can also look at Bare Knuckle if you want to spend some money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Seymour Duncan JB's, good for pretty much anything you want to play.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Quote by Jayerrr
do two batteries fit inside the guitar?

get an adapter to do this http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/zakkwyldefan79/EMG%2018v%20Mod/EMG18VoltMod3.jpg

2 batteries should fit , put another battery in the cavity and see
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 18, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly

Yup. You can find ones in ebay (search EMG 18v) if you dont want to make one yourself.

do two batteries fit inside the guitar?

Try. If propably wont fit in the battery slot if your guitar came with EMG 81 stock, but inside control cavity there should be enough room for another battery duct taped into a wall.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I think the AHB-2 was a hotter one and based on Seymour Duncan Livewire. And then there is the AHB-3, Mick Thomson signature pickup which is really hot and very midrange heavy or so I remember. Check SD website for specifics.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'm a fan of the Crunchlab/Liquifier combo. If you have some spare cash, Bareknuckle's Aftermath set is my all time favorite for metal. Although for much less, you could get a Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient set. Seymour Duncan also has a 'tone chart' on their site for pickups, where it has recordings of the same riff, recorded through the same amp, with the same guitar, just different pickups.
How 'bout a duncan distortion?
I mean, "less compressed, with a wider range then those pickups, more natural." doesn't really seem to suggest active pickups in general if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well, I think you'll want passives since you want a wider range of tones and better cleans. That being said, you'll definitely need to put different pots in you guitar- you have active pickups right now, so you've most likely got 25k pots, and you'll probably want 500k pots for passive pickups. Along with that swap, you'll definitely want to check the dimensions of your pickups- some guitars with active pickups may not be able to fit passives unless you do some routing. Either way, it's definitely an upgrade going from active to passive. I'd recommend the Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz set- they'll get you to do about anything you need to do. The Crunch Lab and Liquifire from Dimarzio are really great too.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by Spambot_2

I mean, "less compressed, with a wider range then those pickups, more natural." doesn't really seem to suggest active pickups in general if ya ask me.

That's what I was thinking- though I haven't tried every single active pickup which is available and there may well be some which would do what he wants.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Megadeth2011
Well, I think you'll want passives since you want a wider range of tones and better cleans. That being said, you'll definitely need to put different pots in you guitar- you have active pickups right now, so you've most likely got 25k pots, and you'll probably want 500k pots for passive pickups. Along with that swap, you'll definitely want to check the dimensions of your pickups- some guitars with active pickups may not be able to fit passives unless you do some routing. Either way, it's definitely an upgrade going from active to passive. I'd recommend the Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz set- they'll get you to do about anything you need to do. The Crunch Lab and Liquifire from Dimarzio are really great too.

I don't have actives right now, I have passives
Isn't there something in the middle between actives and passives (by sound I mean)?
The Duncan Distortion should get you a nice tight sound.

I've also seen some guys that play in C standard use Duncan 59s. That sounded pretty tight as well, and the 59 can get great cleans.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Jayerrr
Do the blackouts sound like a mix of actives and passives?

Not at all. They're actives and sound like a typical active pickup.

I don't think there's anything that sounds like a mix of active and passives.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Jayerrr
Isn't there something in the middle between actives and passives (by sound I mean)?

Yes, that is exactly the goal/purpose that the Seymour Duncan Blackouts and the EMG X series try to achieve.

The Blackouts are more compressed than EMG X. Blackouts came out to offer that in between ground, and since that's kind of shitting on EMGs turf, EMG came out with the X series and one upped them on organicness.

That's how it played out to me anyway.

I actually prefer Blackouts, I think they retain just enough of the active nature/sound without going too organic like the Xs do.

But obviously you should compare them, listen to as many clips as you possibly can to get a feel of what they're like.

Quote by Jayerrr
what is the difference between the SD blackouts AHB-1 and 2?

The AHB-1s are the only good ones in my opinion. The 2s and 3s have too much output and defeat the purpose. I've come to the conclusion through the good handful of pickups I've tried that super high output is almost always a bad thing. Let the amp do the heavy lifting.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 18, 2014,
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Not at all. They're actives and sound like a typical active pickup.

I don't think there's anything that sounds like a mix of active and passives.

It does sound quite a bit different from EMG 81 though. EMG 81 is infamous for being really compressed, the preamp is actually clipping. This is something 18v mod fixes, as does the improved version EMG 81X.

That is actually another thing you might try. The X series.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 18, 2014,
if you have an amp that does high gain, which the 5150 III achieves, try passive pickups. For thrash listen to Warbringer - that's a Seymour Duncan JB through a Mesa. . . . The theory is to let the passive pickups bring out the sound of the guitar and let the amp provide all the gain you need. Death Angel, at least the rhythm, switches between high output passives and EMG 81s through a Mesa Mark V (EC3 channel I believe). Alex Skolnick of Testament uses passives into his Buddha. In other words if you have an amp that does high gain, why do you need the pickups to provide high output/gain as well when the only sound coming from the guitar is provided by the pickups? If you don't have a high gain amp then the actives get attractive to pull off the sound you want at the cost of the guitar's sound not really coming through.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I think I've got exactly what your looking for. The dimarzio D activators are passive pickups that have tonal qualities of actives. Beautiful beautiful gorgeous cleans (especially if you cool split them) but the distortion blows away the emgs I had in it before. The d activators are designed to hit the amp hard (which is why actives are so loud and good for metal, they're not super high output they just slam it into the amp) so you get that same in your face distortion except much wider. And more natural sounding. Less impressed as well but just as tight with the low end chugs. It's handled all the distortion I've thrown at it (which is unlawful amounts) magnificently. Obnoxiously quiet as well.
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Mar 20, 2014,