6 months ago I started a band with a couple friends; within a month we'll play a little show for our friends (+/- 80 people I guess). Now we were wondering if our amps would have enough power to play loud enough. I hope you guys can help us.
I've got an 40 Watt transistor amp, the other guitarist only a 25 Watt transistor and our bass player 100 Watt.

Thanks
It deepends A LOT (only) on the sound reinforcement system you'll be having.

Poorly speaking, if you're gonna have microphones in front of your amps and a couple or more pa speakers you're most likely gonna be all right.
In that setting though, with that much people, even a full stack won't be a lot more helpful, even though it's louder.

If you don't have a pa system get a decent one instead of new amps if you're serious about your gigs.
Well if you care about being heard by everybody instead of making the first four rows deaf and leaving everything to the last rows' imagination.

For your life don't buy behringer stuff, and unless you find a particularly good deal don't buy jbl eon's under the 400 series.
Check your used market for mackie stuff, yamaha stuff, other jbl stuff...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Like he says ^^ Mic up, and you'll be fine. Rent a PA if you have to for now. Are you guys instrument only, or vocals too?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
We don't have a pa system and we don't have enough money to buy one, even to rent one isn't that easy. We aren't that serious about this gig, it's just for our friends and to let them hear what we are busy with. There are vocals too.
But you think we won't make it with only those amp's?
Last edited by verwimp.eli at Mar 18, 2014,
You'll probably be ok. Can you hear each other ok at practice? No drummer, I guess?
We do have a drummer
We practice in a garage and there we don't have any problem to hear each other loud enough, more than loud enough actually. I hope you're right and we'll be fine with this equipment, thanks!
Quote by verwimp.eli
I think you will not.
Thing is, it's not that much about volume as much as it's about how the sound is coming to the audience: the first rows will hear a loud mess, the rows from 5th to 8th or so will hear stuff more or less right, and the other ones will not hear much.

You can play with just the amps if you play with big amps in a relatively small and close place, though that's not a thing you would generally do if you had a pa system anyway 'cause things are a lot more clear through that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're not talking about "rows" of people here. There will probably be a handful of your friends in front of the amps.
honestly, if its just like a performance at a party/get together with your friends, it will be fine. not great, but fine. but everyone should start saving up now if you plan on doing clubs/venues and stuff later. playing for your friends is a great way for the band to start getting really really tight.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by verwimp.eli
We don't have a pa system and we don't have enough money to buy one, even to rent one isn't that easy. We aren't that serious about this gig, it's just for our friends and to let them hear what we are busy with. There are vocals too.

Well, that is the "allure" of those early shows. Just do it. I think what you have is insufficient and will probably ask, beg and borrow a PA or at least bigger amps...
It's all about your drummer. If you can be heard over him, you're loud enough. But you are going to need some sort of PA for the vocals regardless. If the PA has enough inputs just mike your amps up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It may be okay for a small function room. I suggest putting the amps high so they can be heard even if some people gather in front. Placing them low will prevent the high frequencies from reaching the back if someone stands in front of the amp.
Last edited by royc at Mar 19, 2014,