Hi Everyone,

First post here it goes.

I am looking to get a Marshall JCM 800 from the 80s. This is due to my obsession with the early thrash sound.

I am trying to get a sound between kill em all/show no mercy and Cro mags- Age of Quarrel album/DRI- dealing with it. Trying to do that crossover thing.

1) What is the difference between the JCM 800 2203 vs 2204, and which do you think would work best for this thrash/hardcore kind of sound.

2) Recommendation for a cab?
- Does it have to be the matching cab for JCM 800?

3) Open to other amp recommendations! (not into current metal- lamb of god, mastodon, etc.)

Thanks for reading!
The 2204 is 50W, the 2203 is 100W.

You probably want the 2203, to shift the balance more toward preamp distortion instead of poweramp distortion. All those thrash guys boosted the shit out of their 800s with Boss SD-1s anyway - definitely a necessary thing to have IMO, as contrary to popular belief, the 800s on their own really do not get all that heavy.

As for a cab, you really can't go wrong with a classic Marshall 1960. They're dirt cheep anyway.

Oh and lastly, though I'm sure you're already aware of this, make sure you get a vertical input model, not a horizontal input or a single input.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
0ne is 50 watts one is 100 watts other than that the 2203 and 2204 are the same.

you can use just about any cab you want as long as the ohms match what the amp can produce.

The Original JCM800's run $1000ish used, some times you can find the combo version cheaper.

Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or 100 will work great also and typically run $500-$600 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A 2203 can be turned into a 2204 by pulling two tubes and flicking the impedance switch - as long as you aren't trying to use a 4 ohm cab. So if you get the choice, go for the 2203. However, I'd take a vertical 2204 over a horizontal 2203 any day. A vertical 2203 is the best though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 18, 2014,
Im just curious. Whats the deal with vertical and horizontal inputs with these amps?
The horizontals were the victims of cost cutting. Shittier transformers, less power supply filtering, PCB mounted controls. The vertical JCM800's were the last Marshalls built where the bean counters weren't in complete control. The horizontals are still a decent amp but the verticals were simply higher quality.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the input everyone!
@Offworld92 when overdriving with the Boss SD-1, do you crank the volume and keep the amp distortion low? I plan to mess around with it when I get the amp, but Id thought id get your advice!!
Quote by cometobutthed
Thanks for the input everyone!
@Offworld92 when overdriving with the Boss SD-1, do you crank the volume and keep the amp distortion low? I plan to mess around with it when I get the amp, but Id thought id get your advice!!

I'd assume it works as a clean boost, so turn your pedal volume to full and your gain level to nothing and set everything else to taste.

That's what I'd do anyway!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The amp gain you set as you like TS, your last post made it seem as though you were suggesting to keep the amp gain low when using a boost, which you don't necessarily want, you want the pedal volume high and pedal gain low.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
It totally depends on how you work. Everybody does it differently. Depends largely on how clean you are running as a base tone, your personal taste, how well the amp responds to a boost, etc. Just experiment. With my Timmy. I add a little pedal distortion, with my tubescreamer I use little or no pedal distortion. Other people will do the opposite. Some would add a little pedal distortion on both; some will use none on either. Whatever floats your boat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why not save yourself a few bucks and grab a DSL head like someone else suggested? You'll actually get some more versatility with two channels, FX loop, two modes per channel and has great cleans and a lot of gain.

In fact, if you want to run it like a JCM800 for that 80s sound use the green channel and boost it with a SD-1, sounds friggin killer and you can still dial the gain and volume on the other channel to kick in to make your leads cut through when you need it.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver anniversary edi.
Marshall JCM900 4100
Line 6 flextone 2 head
Marshall 1960b Cabinet
Carvin G412 Cabinet

1976 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe
1989 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIJ Strat
Fender MIM Strat
Sounds like you need a JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Another option is a mk3 JCM900 and cut out the clipper (you can literally just chop it out with a pair of sidecutters, no soldering necessary.) You can often pick them up really cheap and once you attack it with cutters you basically have a 2203 with two master volumes (just one gain).
Mk 3's sell really cheap because they don't sound very good until you chop out the clipper. May not be listed as Mk 3 in ads. Their official name was "High Gain Master Volume."
They are a real sleeper of an amp. Most people don't know what they've got or how to fix them - but now you know about it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^I can vouch for this one. With a boost it gets an awesome old school thrash sound.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

SL-X or bust.

Dat gain.

Only reason to get a 900.

/IMO

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^A MKIII and good boost will get really close to SL-X territory

SL-X is first choice, the MkIII and the easiest mod in the world is a close second.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Nah man, it's all about an SL-X and a boost.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So here's the real question: Did you buy something?
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75