So, recently I've been considering a getting a Les Paul style guitar, but I'm not sure which one to pick. My main choices are Epiphones & Gibsons (though not too expensive).

Also, should I get standard, traditional, or custom (as in the model). I like metal, but I already own a "metal guitar", so I want something more versatile. I'm going for a sound like Tool or Rise Against. It'd have to be sweet and smooth clean and aggressive when crunched.
Based on your choices, it would depend on your budget. Epiphones are much cheaper than Gibsons. Personal taste in the looks department will determine your choice of specific models. Never mind the pickups coz they can be changed later.

You can get a gibson studio as a compromise.
Last edited by royc at Mar 18, 2014,
I think the LP Classic has GIbson 500T's, which are great for metal but I could be wrong.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Agile AL-3000 series FTW
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Have you been to a shop and tried any yet?

Choosing the right guitar is a very personal thing, only you can tell which is right for you. We can only tell you which guitar is right for us.

Trying the exact guitar you will purchase is especially important when buying a Gibson.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well, I've don't know too much about Agile, I'll look into it. As for trying, I have tried an Epiphone Traditional Pro. Playability seemed pretty good, but I don't if the sound was quite what I was looking for. I know you guys can't tell me what's truly right for me, but I'm just looking for suggestions according to what I've said. Anyway, I'm still in the process of saving up my money, got about $600 so far.
Both Epiphones and Gibsons are a huge crapshoot. You just have to go try them and see what they're like. It all depends on what wood Gibson is pretending is mahogany this week, and how hung over the fretwork guy happens to be that day.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Domguy99
Well, I've don't know too much about Agile, I'll look into it. As for trying, I have tried an Epiphone Traditional Pro. Playability seemed pretty good, but I don't if the sound was quite what I was looking for. I know you guys can't tell me what's truly right for me, but I'm just looking for suggestions according to what I've said. Anyway, I'm still in the process of saving up my money, got about $600 so far.

In that case, have a look at the Epiphone Prophecy Series and the LTD 400 Series if you're buying new.

As for used, you could buy an LTD EC1000 for $600.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Just go and spend an afternoon playing guitars. Which ones speak to you. Trust your hands and your ears cause they will know "the one" when they find it. Guitars are a very personal choice IMO.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
You said you tried an Epi Traditional Pro and liked the playability.
If you liked the looks as well, get this.

You can change the pickups later on to fix the sound - if this guitar played/felt good, and looked good to you, that's it. You're done.
Sound is something you can fix later. I'm not a guitar hunt myself and have realised all you NEED is to find a guitar that feels good and looks good - that's it - mess with the sound later.
If that guitar is an Epi Trad Pro, then all the better for your wallet.