its a ii V ii V ii V I I. each chord one measure long.

try thinking mostly D dorian at first. once you start coming up with some pretty cool sounding ideas, then move on to emphasizing the chord tones a little more.

eventually, when you are outlining chord tones, there is so much you can do.

Dm7- D minor pentatonic, D blues scale, dorian, melodic minor.
G7- G major pentatonic, G myxolyidan, altered scales. Be bop scale
Cmaj7- C major scale, C major pentatonic, lydian mode.

listen to some other jazz guitarists playing over similar vamps and try to cop some licks, and then incorporate them into your playing. and kudos on working on jazz stuff! it takes a while to get the feel, but very rewarding to learn.

also, if you click on my profile, there is a song entitled Tune up (miles davis.) its like 4 years old now, but it was right when i was starting to get the hang of jazz imrpov. i take a solo in the song, and there are some pretty cool and simple lines, its mostly 2 5 1 progressions. check it out if you would like. (i would reccomend not listening to any of the others, they are all quite old and i was an awful player back then haha)
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Mar 18, 2014,
You need to start by learning actual solos that use II V I. Older jazz is a great place to start.
Spend some time with classic jazz stuff. Jazz is all about the rhythm and phrasing (the notes are important, but you find ii V I's in every style). Every notable fusion player is building on a jazz foundation.