Hello, I built a Soldano X88R lead channel preamp (preamp similar to an SLO-100) and recorded a little bit to gather some opinions on the tone and where I can make improvements. I personally had a really crap ear for tone and I dont have any decent equipment to test the tone either so I figure the good dudes of the recording forums would have some nice speakers to listen through and give me their opinion. This demo was recorded an LTD EC-256 which is a fairly crappy sounding guitar with too much low end and too little output, but its currently the only guitar I have with strings.

The recording chain was

guitar -> preamp -> USB interface -> Reaper(Ignite amps power amp sim -> kefir with IR)

no noise gate or effects. can you listen and give me your opinion?

https://soundcloud.com/busta_pr/demo-x88r-lead-channel-diy

Also, I dont have my hopes up for this suggestion but Im also providing the raw preamp file so that someone may run the tone through their own guitar amp fx loop, power amp, or recording setup.

https://soundcloud.com/busta_pr/demo-x88r-2

thanks for reading
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Mar 18, 2014,
If a moderator could change my title to "Opinions on my DIY Soldano Preamp tone" it would be awesome. wrote a random title so I could test something out in "preview post" section,but forgot to change title.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Last edited by bustapr at Mar 18, 2014,
just as a note, i think you can rename a thread within the first 2 minutes of it being posted (or something). at least you used to be able to. changed it for you though.
I'm not into heavier music, but it sounds pretty damn good to me.
Good job!
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
thats good to know. this preamp is basically in the alpha stages of the project. I want to get the tone right before going on to building the Clean channel beside it and then going on to building the power amp. that someone says it sounds "pretty damn good" takes a weight off my shoulders.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
The playing wasn't good, and the low end in particular sounds pretty low-fi.
If you sort these out and put something passed through that in a mix I'd say it will sound nice.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
how much of it would be the guitars fault about the bad low end? the LTD EC-256 has rather low output pickups and the electronics in it are the kind youd put on a fender single coil guitar, which makes it really muddy and dull.

the preamp itself is not 100% true to the soldano design. Due to missing parts I had to make some mods to the circuit. Said mods make my tone more trebly, hence may also be a reason why the low end doesnt sound all that good. Ill probably have to "unmod" the circuit to the original design to boost the low/mid range a bit.

would the biggest problem be coming from the guitar or from the amp? and what do you mean with "put something passed through that in a mix", Im not all that familiar with recording speak
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
^ yeah, sorry, my being italian doesn't help.
I meant if you use that preamp to process some guitar sound to put in a mix, I think they mix will sound nice.

I didn't mean the clip is lacking in bass, I meant the bass frequencies seem to be affected by a kind of distortion that makes them sound low-fi, of low resolution.
It may be the pickups, I'm no real expert about low quality humbuckers, though the problem is not the low output nor the lack in clarity because there's clarity in the mid to high end of the mix, and my vintage voiced single coils don't put up that kind of distortion when the overall sound is distorted.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.