Anyone else here regularly playing this game?

It just came out of open beta this month and I got on-board just last week.

No idea yet what deck build I want to focus on. Just levelling-up my characters.

It basically follows a similar premise to Magic: The Gathering, but much more bare in terms of game mechanics and variety.
This game is pretty fun as a "play an hour a day if that" game but I'm so goddamn bad at it
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
wl is the best one in a lot of people's minds right now, it's probably my favorite play wise along with shaman
Quote by lolmnt
isnt it just magic but really casual?

edit: now that i think about it some dude i watched on youtube that was impressively no-life on poe/diablo plays the shit out if it so i take back the hate.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Mar 19, 2014,
i played the beta a little bit.

was okay. but I prefer Magic

even more so I prefer to play wow.

anyone prefering any of the dps decks is stupid and should die.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Mar 19, 2014,
I like the casual nature of the game. It's easy to get into for people who aren't normally into card games (myself included). I use the priest deck exclusively, it has a lot of good free cards.
It's pretty evenly balanced really. I've been playing it since beta, and regularly play all the characters. The rogue and warrior are my least favourite though.

The mage used to be my favourite. It's probably the easiest to build a deck for.
Than I went through a priest phase. It has a minion that has attack = health, and a couple of power up cards that give +health (including a double health card). So you can get a 10/10 or even 20/20+ card out before too long if things fall into place. That can dominate.

Now I really like the hunter. He just needs a beast heavy deck, which is fairly easy to balance.

Once you start getting a couple of really good class specific cards the decision on which character to focus on becomes easier.

muledit: Unlike magic, this game doesn't have a land based resource system, which makes it far more balanced and less random imo
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Mar 19, 2014,
I'm quite a big fan of the game. Granted I'm only ranked 10 so I'm not that great. I recommend if you want to improve though that you watch some good streamers. My personal favourites being Reynad and Guardsmanbob. If i can give any advice though it would be don't start out playing aggro decks. Aggro decks are deceivingly difficult to play well because there are so so so many different options on a single turn that it takes a lot of experience and thinking to decide which is the best choice.
Quote by vayne92
I'm quite a big fan of the game. Granted I'm only ranked 10 so I'm not that great. I recommend if you want to improve though that you watch some good streamers. My personal favourites being Reynad and Guardsmanbob. If i can give any advice though it would be don't start out playing aggro decks. Aggro decks are deceivingly difficult to play well because there are so so so many different options on a single turn that it takes a lot of experience and thinking to decide which is the best choice.

What are the best aggro decks to run if someone wanted to get to around rank 10?

I'm running Warlock Aggro decks but can't seem to get past rank 15 or so.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
What are the best aggro decks to run if someone wanted to get to around rank 10?

I'm running Warlock Aggro decks but can't seem to get past rank 15 or so.

Reynad's 'Zoo' deck is incredibly good, however as i said with aggro decks - they're deceivingly hard to play. Any aggro deck really you could get to legendary, but it's the player not the deck. Sure a good deck is essential, but if you're a shit player with the best deck in the world you still wont get near legendary.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/35326-budget-reynads-zoo-v2-warlock-aggro

That's the one he uses, but there's a lot of different variations.
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 20, 2014,
Quote by vayne92
Reynad's 'Zoo' deck is incredibly good, however as i said with aggro decks - they're deceivingly hard to play. Any aggro deck really you could get to legendary, but it's the player not the deck. Sure a good deck is essential, but if you're a shit player with the best deck in the world you still wont get near legendary.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/35326-budget-reynads-zoo-v2-warlock-aggro

That's the one he uses, but there's a lot of different variations.

Only cards I'm missing are the Dark Iron Dwarves and a Defender of Arugs IIRC. Thanks, I'll have to try it out.
a bunch of usually cheap minions constantly thrown at you, with not as much care for what you have on the board
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by valacirca
What is an aggro deck?

Aggro (Aggression) focuses on ending the game early by applying early pressure, so generally the deck is made up of mostly 1-4 drops with maybe a couple 5 or 6 drops. As you can see with the deck i linked above it's all about early board control and snowballing from there.
The opposite of that would be a control deck (typically druid's are most known for this) that focuses on maintaining control and just surviving the early game and dragging it to the lategame where you will wear out your opponents options and then dominate with your 7+ drops etc.

This would be an example of a control deck:

https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone-legendary-druid-control-deck

It's common in control decks (this one included) that there is lots of magic removal early on to compensate for the lack of smaller creatures. This enables them to drag it out to the lategame.

It can be hard to find a balance between too much control and too much aggression with making a deck. You can also lack aggression / control. No deck is perfect obviously. If you want to improve at the quickest rate just keep playing the game and watching other professional streams and listening to what they have to say.
Quote by valacirca
eh I'll stick with my warlock-taunt deck for now --- which seems like the opposite of aggro since it's more defense-oriented? O_o

If you want to go for a mass taunt deck i'd personally go for shaman

Warlock is best for aggression because of the hero power allowing them to get a card advantage and their class cards don't really act in a defensive manner too much. Reallly their cards just don't synergize all that great with neutral defensive cards. Murloc is typically associated with Warlock for that reason because they are the single best class for getting a card advantage.

Shaman's hero power synergizes really with with sunfury protecter / defender of argus in particular and spirit wolves are excellent. Earth elemental can be really strong too in the right situation, but the overload of 3 can make it tough to play.

At the end of the day you can do whatever you want really, but don't expect too get too far with a warlock control deck.
the best thing about games like that was when i was a kid and got together with friends to play it...now that i'm a little older, the idea of sitting on my ass in front of a computer playing shit like that seems, well...kinda gay.
if you're gonna play games on a computer, at least play some mmo's, arpgs or something cooler.