Hey guys,

I'm looking about buying a new guitar but I'm on a fairly tight budget (Approx £300-£400). I've pretty must set my sights on a V shape and I've come down to two, the Jackson JS32T King V and the Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX CBK. Does anyone have any opinions on these? I mostly play metal like Megadeth and Pantera etc. Other suggestions would be nice also!!

Oh and another thing is that any of the music stores near me don't stock many guitars, just mostly Strats and the like so I can't go and try many out before buying!

Cheers,
Daniel
Now, I have not played either of them but I have bigger faith in Jacksons lower budget offerings over Dean.

You could also consider ESP-LTD. Maybe I was just lucky with my LTD F-50 but if V-50 is anything like it its a good beginners guitar and joy to play even if hardware leaves something to be desired of. But in this price range this applies to all brands, cheap hardware that is.

*edit* I did a quick conversion of your budget to Euros. If you have 400£ max budget why are you considering JS32? You can nail X serie Jackson with that budget, RRXT for example.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_rrxt_rhoads_bk.htm

Thomann does not have King V KVXT currently at stock but its not that more expensive in other EU online stores. With that budget you can scratch the V-50 I mentioned out too and go for V-300, much superior guitar. Its in your price range at Thomann.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_v_300_black.htm

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 19, 2014,
As much as I love Jacksons look at an Agile Hornet or Reaper. Normally their custom shop guitars have good specs and come with a case and it's in the same ballpark. I haven't played an Agile though but they get similar reviews to the Jacksons and ESP/LTDs in this price range.

See if you can find a Jackson King V or RR used as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
As much as I love Jacksons look at an Agile Hornet or Reaper. Normally their custom shop guitars have good specs and come with a case and it's in the same ballpark. I haven't played an Agile though but they get similar reviews to the Jacksons and ESP/LTDs in this price range.

See if you can find a Jackson King V or RR used as well.

Unfortunately there is no Agile in Europe. Otherwise maybe all of my guitars would be Agiles, they have so many nice designs.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
My main recommendations are:

Don't buy a low-end Dean (personally I would say don't buy Dean at all).

Don't buy a low-end signature model.

I don't like Deans at all anyway but low-end ones are pretty bad generally; they feel like cheap, plasticy toys and have bad pickups.

Low end sigs are going to be sold more on the name than anything else; wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i tried the Jackson JS32T King V and to this day i regret not buying it

it was 287 £ on sale because the store was going to bring new guitars

powerful guitar i dont remember what pick ups it had on but not EMGs

i dont know about the second guitar
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Don't buy a low-end Dean.

Don't buy a low-end signature model.

Low end sigs are going to be sold more on the name than anything else; wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw it.

I have 2 Deans that I love, and I agree with this much.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
For 400, you could be getting a used Gibson faded V, Dave Mustaine VMNT V (if you're lucky) Epiphone V or a couple of others.

I quite like the Gibson though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have the VMNTX and it's a decent guitar. The pickups are good for that price range, the neck is comfortable, and it looks cool too I guess (I have the black one). I'd recommend it.
Yeah ive seen a few on the Facebook groups for selling guitar gear, a V shape pops up every so often, decent ones for around £350
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I used to own an LTD V-50 and I say definitely take a chance with a Jackson instead, lol.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
New age Jacksons are garbage period , You want a good Jackson/Charvel you have to go back to the mid 90's or eariler ( and by mid I mean 95 and back), Fender never made a quality instrument and they are continuing that through their purchase of Jackson,which I now refer to as Junkson, tis just my opinion. I'd go with a Dean or an Ibanez, ESP. But you are limited as to your choices and I understand, that sucks. If you do get a mediocre guitar you can always upgrade the hardware and electronics to the best stuff later.. right now I would focus on what woods are used in the instrument... if you get one with better woods and shitty electronics/ hardware you score when you upgrade. Hope it works out for you man!
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Mar 19, 2014,
Quote by Ikillintel
New age Jacksons are garbage period , You want a good Jackson/Charvel you have to go back to the mid 90's or eariler ( and by mid I mean 95 and back), Fender never made a quality instrument and they are continuing that through their purchase of Jackson,which I now refer to as Junkson, tis just my opinion. I'd go with a Dean or an Ibanez, ESP. But you are limited as to your choices and I understand, that sucks. If you do get a mediocre guitar you can always upgrade the hardware and electronics to the best stuff later.. right now I would focus on what woods are used in the instrument... if you get one with better woods and shitty electronics/ hardware you score when you upgrade. Hope it works out for you man!

Dave Mustaine, is that you?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Ikillintel
Fender never made a quality instrument

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MaaZeus
Dave Mustaine, is that you?

I'd be willing to bet you wish I was. Regardless of what some people say on this forum about him, He with the guys from Metallica started the thrash scene and paved the way for everyone else, the guy is one of the very best thrash musicians of that time.

Zaphod_Beeblebr, That is my opinion.. I'm not trying to rally support for an anti-fender rally. I never have liked their instruments... there are a lot of Fender n Gibson fan boys on this site and even more sheep and they all own the $2 to 4 thousand dollar model... I've never been a follower of trends be it music,clothing, cars or guitars, I do MY thing. I listened to your album.... I don't know what style you're going for but it wasn't metal, or anything I'd listen to,( and that is not meant as an insult) maybe pop rock? Good luck with your band.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Your best bet is buying a used Dean 79 V. They can go for around 300 bucks on ebay and worth it for the money.
I have the js32t king v and I think it's awesome. Feels great. Sounds good. Has the compound radius neck just like their higher models. Great guitar for the price IMO.
Quote by KrogerChad
Your best bet is buying a used Dean 79 V. They can go for around 300 bucks on ebay and worth it for the money.

Those are okay. I would rather the new Chicago flame series though.

You could check out a Hamer Vector if you can find one.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A second hand Gibson V or better ESP LTD V would be the way to go, if you can find one. If you're in more of a hurry then the standard ESP LTD and Epiphone guitars will do fine. Jackson do make some alright cheaper guitars, but for my money and in my experience I have found Epiphone and ESP to be a safer bet at that price range, which is important if you can't try the guitar out before you buy it. Like others, I would not bother with any of the cheaper Deans.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.