I just noticed while playing some COB that when I pull up on my whammy bar especially on the high E and b strings that after a fairly small amount the note becomes choked out by the little screw that you can scoot the the bridge saddles back and forth. This results in that the note goes sharp after pulling up. Is this normal for a OFR? Any ideas how I can fix this? Action? Truss Rod?

Cheers!

^ The little screws that string goes over
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Mar 19, 2014,
So the adjustment screw pushes up on the string and pulls it sharp? Is your action set too low?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
The only thing I can think of is it's not setup properly and the tail end needs to be raised up till the Floyd is level. The further it leans back the closer the strings get to the screws. If it's already leaning back to far while not being used, then when you go for a big pull up I could see the strings possibly hitting the screws. But if the bridge is set up level like it should be I couldn't imagine ever having this problem.
Can you post a Pic of the side view of the guitar looking at the bridge?
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
Nothing looks particularly out of order to me.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Mar 20, 2014,
Well, when you pull it up that far it's bound to hit The whole a*s end is buried in the cavity, it's not designed to pull up that far. (just a question) Were any or all of the screws replaced at one point? If they aren't the original screws the heads could be a little taller than the originals. That would cause the strings to hit them much earlier in a pull up. But I think it's safe to say that you're just pulling it up farther than it's designed to go.
I agree. Your setup is fine. I think you may be pulling up too far.
I did replace the screw there a while back, but it was with an identical one. Are there any dudes here with Floyds that can testify as to this? I'll record a quick clip of what it sounds like and so you guys can get an idea as to how big my range of motion is
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
I did replace the screw there a while back, but it was with an identical one. Are there any dudes here with Floyds that can testify as to this? I'll record a quick clip of what it sounds like and so you guys can get an idea as to how big my range of motion is

I'v played nothing but Floyd's since the early-mid '90s. But you can wait for a second opinion if you like.
https://soundcloud.com/chris-bollyn/whammy-pulls

I recorded some pulls so you fellas get an idea what's going on. Even for a Floyd Rose I'd assume I would be able to pull up higher, and I seem to never having this problem until recently.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by Way Cool JR.
I'v played nothing but Floyd's since the early-mid '90s. But you can wait for a second opinion if you like.

Oh definitely take your word for it I just find a little strange to believe is all, I remember that I used to be able to yank my bar back and forth all over the place and never noticed it before.
Quote by luxeion

Anyone? I hope the sound clip I posted offers some type of evidence.
Quote by luxeion