idk if i already posted this before, but ive been trying to finish this melodic djent song for a while. its got a very industrial/robotic feel to it

also, FYI, the intro is really long (technically a 2 part song), so if you dont want to listen to the whole thing, skip to measure 33

ps, turn the reverb up high on the lead guitar and xylophone, and partially up on the other ambience tracks for the best sound

any input is appreciated, especially what should come next. heres my idea, let me know what you think:

-slow ambient lead over ambience tracks and/or bass and drums
-solo
-end song with opening riff of part 2
Attachments:
Melodic djent song.gp5.zip
Last edited by pAWNlol at Mar 19, 2014,
Okay I listened to the hole song, I really dig it man.

The intro part is pretty ambiant but i like this square wave line, nearly sounds like some Muse or so.
Then I loved the djent riff ("part 2"), it's really groovy and I definitely approve the fact you want to use it later on in the song
I really like the "Reoccuring simulation" part too ! More melodic

I have no particular idea for the coming parts, I'm sure you are going to do it well.
I really like this!

One part that didn't sit that well with me was the lead starting at bar 17. the rhythm seems a little off, like it's not supposed to be in 4/4. I kept expecting the next note to come sooner than it does. However, on subsequent listens, I don't hear it anymore. It could be one of those things that just strikes you during your first listen to a song.

I love how ambient pt2 is and the rhythm works great here. Same with Select User and System Check (love the bass break!)

The rhythm change at bar 113 really kept my interest piqued in this song. A lot of times, ambient stuff can drag on, but this shift does well to change the pace. The lead as well feels much more natural with the 16th note rhythm.

The ending you have seems natural to me, but you could make the song longer. It might be too hard to go back into the triplet feel though after the rhythm change you have.

Good work!
Quote by mikhailster
I really like this!

One part that didn't sit that well with me was the lead starting at bar 17. the rhythm seems a little off, like it's not supposed to be in 4/4. I kept expecting the next note to come sooner than it does. However, on subsequent listens, I don't hear it anymore. It could be one of those things that just strikes you during your first listen to a song.

i know what youre talking about. it happens to me too, and i know why

naturally, higher notes are easier to hear. and unfortunately, with the square wave on tux, the low notes become barely audible in the mix. therefore, the note you constantly notice the most is the high note of the arpeggio, which happens to be 2 8th triplets after the half note markings. you naturally start to feel the beat 2 8th triplets behind the actual beat. because of this, i usually have to tap my foot or use a metronome when i play along with this song, just so i can know when to come in

basically, this is just a problem with the way that midi track sounds. when i actually finish and record this, ill be sure to use a track where the low notes are more audible. sorry if this is a little too long-winded and/or complicated for you to fully understand

Quote by mikhailster

The ending you have seems natural to me, but you could make the song longer. It might be too hard to go back into the triplet feel though after the rhythm change you have.

Good work!

well thats just a rough sketch. it might change, and there will probably be parts in-between those. plus those parts probably will be really long anyway

and dont worry, ill find a way to get it back into that triplet riff if i do choose to end it that way. im good with metric modulation
Last edited by pAWNlol at Mar 20, 2014,
Wow man, I have to say this songs structure and sound is phenomenal. Youve done a great job here. It flows start to finish and although it plays around the same notes, each groove manages to stick out and play nicely. I really do love it man, i cant stress that enough. The closure groove is kick ass
For criticism the only part im not fond of is the filler bar named Malfunction. The system check part sounds pretty killer, sounds full. Reoccurring Simulation is an awesome climax for following it.

As im listening to it more it keeps growing on me man, you need to record this.
Last edited by autumnhour at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by autumnhour
Wow man, I have to say this songs structure and sound is phenomenal. Youve done a great job here. It flows start to finish and although it plays around the same notes, each groove manages to stick out and play nicely. I really do love it man, i cant stress that enough. The closure groove is kick ass
For criticism the only part im not fond of is the filler bar named Malfunction. The system check part sounds pretty killer, sounds full. Reoccurring Simulation is an awesome climax for following it.

As im listening to it more it keeps growing on me man, you need to record this.

lol thanks man. i hope to finish it before i move to canada. and if i do, ill definitely let the people here know
Brilliant! Makes me want to do vocals for it :P The "Malfunction" bit is unnecessary though, I think. Maybe it's a cliche in djenty music like this, but a band pass filtered (radio effect) guitar playing those same notes as a sort of "stop" would do the trick there. Anyway, you need to record this ASAP
Quote by resurrectionrow
Brilliant! Makes me want to do vocals for it :P The "Malfunction" bit is unnecessary though, I think. Maybe it's a cliche in djenty music like this, but a band pass filtered (radio effect) guitar playing those same notes as a sort of "stop" would do the trick there. Anyway, you need to record this ASAP

yeah, i might end up removing that part

and what part are you talking about with the "stop"?
I've always had a hard time for atmospheric intros, so I'm just gonna say that I think it's too long (then again I am a restless spirit). Pt2 is a daaam groovy riff.

As previosly stated, Malfunction is probably not needed.

Select user is pretty cool, nothing special.

System check is good, feels very TesseracTy, it also brings back the motif from before which is nice.

Recurring simulation si pretty good as well, obviously the climax of the song. I tried putting Reccurring motif directly after Recurring simulation, and I thought it sounded pretty cool. It sounds good as it is now as well, but you know, just an idea.

I don't know if I'm supposed to choose(?) but I like Closure 1 more than Closure 2, and I think it's too epic of a song to end it like that, there should be something with a fadeout I think.

So there you have my ramblings.
Quote by CheesyMozarella

I don't know if I'm supposed to choose(?) but I like Closure 1 more than Closure 2, and I think it's too epic of a song to end it like that, there should be something with a fadeout I think.

So there you have my ramblings.

its not supposed to end there lol like i said in the original post, my idea for ending the song was this (with some parts being longer than others, and maybe some parts in between)

-slow ambient lead over ambience tracks and/or bass and drums
-solo
-end song with opening riff of part 2

but like i said, if you have a better idea of how to end the song, id love to hear it