Page 7 of 7
Tony Done Wut?     Don't try and confuse me... You know  I can't read, I used top work for the post office..
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 15, 2017,
Captaincranky 

Hmm. We crossed posts there, I redid the reply addressed to you so that you would be notified. I'm getting a headache.

I worked for the post office a few times at Christmas when I was at school. Plenty of exercise and not much money.

I reckon the OEM Maton pickups and preamps are very good, but I don't like that, whatever it is. It could just be the soundman, if in doubt, blame him/her.
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 15, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
theogonia777 

Have you ever played, or thought about playing a fretless instrument like gourd banjo, oud or fretless guitar. I sometimes do, after listening to someone like David Lindley,  but I think it might end up a bit too microtonal in my case.

I'm not her, but I started off on cello and have a fretless Washburn AE bass.

Depending on how much (and what) you practice, fretless can be almost as non-microtonal as fretted instruments. Shawn Lane was very precise on his Vigier Surfreter...until he decided it was time NOT to be precise and he'd slide as he damn well pleased.

If you're interested in a slightly less expensive gateway into fretless than a Surfreter, and aren't interested in DIY modding a guitar, Godin has a couple of instruments you might dig.

http://godinguitars.com/godin_world_a11_17706.html
http://godinguitars.com/godin_world_multioud_encore_37414.html

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
For the record, my interest in fretless minstrel banjos is that I would want a period authentic instrument rather than actually playing a fretless instrument. Ouds are all fretless anyway and that is necessary to play maqam music anyway. What I mean is that I've never put much thought into playing fretless to play fretless and only play/would play fretless instruments because the particular instrument just happens to be fretless. If anything, I would prefer a fretted violin to a standard fretless.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
dannyalcatraz I was curious about the multi-oud but after looking into it, it seemed like a poor substitute since it lacks the bass of a real oud.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It does, at least in part because it is like an Ovation shallow bowl acoustic electric: the body is deep enough to produce acoustic tones, but it is REALLY meant to be amplified. Plug it in, and much of that bass returns.

Now, actually using acoustic mixing techniques may still be better, but my gut feeling is that it's good enough for middle eastern out players, and western guitarists might adapt to the flatter bodystyle more quickly than they would to a traditional oud.

So, yeah, if you're planning on playing it primarily as an acoustic, it would be a poor choice. Otherwise, though...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz 

That Godin oud is one that attracts me - the David Lindley influence. 

I think of Guthrie Govan for fretless. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with the microtonality comment, I play more slide than fretted, and I think that being slightly off can add a lot of character. An example I know is Ry Cooder's "Dark was the Night" from "Paris Texas".
GG's fretless work never appealed to me.

I'm a Shawn Lane fanboi.

dannyalcatraz 

Yeah, he is actually using the fretless like slide guitar; I prefer Guthrie's style, but neither are really my kind of music. However,that is the kind of thing I was thinking of. - Slide with a low action. When I was gigging I would start playing slide in the Spanish position and sometimes end up playing it as lap steel. My touch was much heavier with lap steel, and I ended up beating notches in the frets with the strings., so fretless lap steel might be the thing.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
So, yeah, if you're planning on playing it primarily as an acoustic

Typically I like playing acoustic instruments acoustically.

I do have interest in playing viola da gamba. There would almost no learning curve since I play guitar and fiddle. It's basically a guitar with a curved bridge/fretboard that you play with a bow. Usually 6 or 7 strings tuned all 4ths with a 3rd in the middlish. And frets. Interesting instrument. The tone is a little rougher since it isn't fretless. Many musicologists believe the upright bass is descended from the viola de gamba family rather than the violin family since the tuning and body shape are most certainly gamba but the headscroll, f-holes, and lack of frets are violin qualities.
Quote by Tony Done
....[ ].....FWIW, that's the kind of music that interests me.
Which in no way will deter me from attempting to expand your musical horizons...Look at all the folk instruments in this piece:

Who needs fretless when you can just have more frets?

Captaincranky 

Sadist. Checked them on YT. Millions of hits and I've never heard of them. I need to get out more.   There seems to be a whole lot of "heavy"-type music based around primitive acoustic instruments like the hurdy gurdy that I come across while YT surfing. Is this a recent thing?

I like these laddies, could have been you that introduced them to me:

Quote by Tony Done
theogonia777 

Bending would be tricky.

Who needs string bender when you can play shred guitar on an acoustic instrument? I like my electric instruments acoustic as well.
Quote by Captaincranky
dannyalcatraz   ADD much Danny? We've mastered and moved on from mandola already?

Nah. I've had those Godins on my eBay "watch" lists since they went on the market. Mandocello is the new shiny thing.

I have to see if playing keyboard with finger picks on is viable. Might be getting the old band back together and if so I would be doing double duty with lap steel and keyboard.
Sounds...confusing. Maybe this guy could make you something to help sort things out.