Hi Guys.
I hope someone can help. I'm relatively new to the rehearsal studios. Our band meets up say once every month, due to work constraints etc.....when we do get to the studios, we have a great time, however our levels are appalling. We have a drummer, Bassist, rhythm guitarist, lead and vocals. We understand that the drums set the underpinning levels, then bass, rhythm, lead then vocals. My sticking point, is I play rhythm guitar through my boss floor pedals straight into a Marshall stack. Our bassist plays through a floor unit straight into a stack. However our lead guitarist plays through a multi effects unit into two amps so he is creating a stereo output. This in turn floods the room with only his sound. I'm having to constantly increase volume so I can hear myself, as is the bassist, thus making the singer increase his volume, which then creates all kinds of feedback. Ergh. It's horrible. My question is, should our lead guitarist have the same set up as the rhythm and bassist. Just one amp, so I'm guessing it's a kind of mono output....

Thanks gang.
Lead guitarist should crowd the rest as it is most important. Betas like you should just suck it up.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
the lead guitarist is deaf and mute or what's the problem?

why can't you just tell him to fix his volume and set it customized to the rest of you?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
You're running a Boss Metalzone through a Marshall MG.

You need a new fucking setup. Immediately.

Problem solved.
Tell him to go back to his backing tracks and play as bloody loud as he can. This is a band and not only his project.
tell him to turn it the fuck down. He can run two amps if wants. but that doesn't mean he has to be louder, it just means he needs to twist the volume knobs counterclockwise. A long while back the other guitarist in my band (we don't have him anymore) was like this and it was extremely irritating. We'd do sound check and get everything sounding good. Then in the middle of songs he'd boost the volume a little bit. This would cause everyone else to turn up and a little volume war would go on for a little while until someone noticed what was going on. He always claimed he couldn't hear himself. I think he just had such a bad ear for tone that he was having troubling picking the sound of his own guitar out of the mix
I never understand why people post this question. The solution is so obvious, just tell him to turn the **** down, and then all of you adjust your volume until the balance sounds right. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes to do a sound check before a rehearsal.
moving to bandleading
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
You must realise that if you are serious about being a successful band you need to have a sound that people want to hear. That means it must be balanced. The best way to approach this, for loud rock and metal bands, is to set you volume according to the maximum level the vocalist can achieve before feedback. The drummer must then play so that he does not overpower the vocals and and the rest of the band must adjust their volumes so that it sounds like it does on the recordings that you have been listening to all you life - why would you think anything else is going to be acceptable to your audience? - So, tell him to turn the **** down or get out of the band.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're running a Boss Metalzone through a Marshall MG.

You need a new fucking setup. Immediately.

Problem solved.
You should really listen to this guy.

I think what you really need is a new amp. With tubes preferably.
Tell him to turn his amp down. At the start find set levels, and don't adjust them. If he has issues hearimg himself get him to move into a different place in the room so he can.

There's no need for practice to be loud, it should actually be quiet so you can hear what everyne is playing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Neo Evil11
Lead guitarist should crowd the rest as it is most important. Betas like you should just suck it up.

Wow such a great helpful reply. Thank you so much. I must remember to ask your advice again.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/sound_good_in_the_rehearsal_room.html

It might be worth recording your practice and listening to it back. A bit of objectivity is needed here.

guitar amps are very directional so they sound quietest to the person closest. Usually this is the guitarist. It's like putting a torch on the floor behind you and complaining you can't see. tilt all the guitar amps back so they point at your ears.

Point out that picking yourself out of a mix is an important skill for a musician and experienced people are better at it. Turning yourself up is for amateurs. then pride may control his natural instincts.
Two amps isn't that much louder than one amp. Your lead guitarist should turn down. Also, as Phil said, point the amps at your ears. If your amp points at your legs, you won't hear your playing well.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Hi, some good advice there already, but one common theme - turn down, which I agree with. The directional comment is also very valid. I'd also add that as you are only practicing (ie, its not a gig), do you really need to blow each others ears out. The stuff you are taking does sound fairly heavy duty, and you have not mentioned the rehearsal rooms size. If its quite small and you are all loading up with heavy kit - it is going to be terrible in there.
Another thing, with two guitarists the have similar sounds it can create considerable problems because you are effectively occupying similar frequencies. You can make a big difference by making sure only one guitarist is distorted at a time for example. Also, make sure you separate the amps, putting space between the type similar sounds.
However, you do have to sort it out, and the lead guitarist needs to sort his volume out, whether he likes it or not (I'm a lead guitarist, I cant see what the problem with turning down is).
Cheers
Hoos