So, this is more like a hobby right now, because I am still trying to see a vocal coach before I actually post videos on youtube or anything(I love to sing but want to know if I should even bother singing before I go embarrass myself.. again).

Anyways, right now I have a Behringer(spelling?) XENYX 802 mixer, and I love it by the way, perfect for me only having 1 mic at the moment. My mic is a Shure SM57, with a random pop filter from Guitar Center. I currently connect the mixer to my computer via the mic jack thing, because it seemed like a cheap way to get into recording. I also have Audicity right now because I am waiting for my uncle to send me the DAW he bought me for my birthday.

First question, should I continue using the mic jack, or move to usb?

Next, studio headphones? I am currently just using some noise cancelling headphones but their quality sucks. I am debating getting some beat headphones or just studio headphones?

Um... Also my guitar always ends up really really loud?

Finally, how do you record with both a camera and mic? Is it like you record with the camera while recording with the mic, then mute the video's volume and sync the audio with the video?
You should read the interfaces sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ yeah you should!

Then, in order of appearance:
- Use the usb connector from your mixer.
- Ya know what's the deal with beats headphones? They sound bad!
So get a pair of monitors (mackie mr5/mr8 mk3, yamaha hs7...) or a pair of ATH-M50 if you're on the cheap.
-The fact that things are loud is usually solved by turning down the volume of the tracks which the loud things are on.
-You record with both of them at the same time, then you go into iMovie or windows movie maker or whatever free video editing program you have there, you remove the video's audio and you substitute it with the audio you recorded with the mic.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
My mistake, I thought the 802 and the 802USB were the same thing.
You need an audio interface then.
Read the interface sticky.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Investment...
#1 Audio Interface.
#2 DAW
#3 NOT Beats Headphones. You can work with headphones but know that headphones, and speakers, are often designed to kind of sculpt sound. They do this by providing a better response in certain frequency ranges. So if you feed a signal of 1db at a given frequency into the speaker, the speaker will output something at that same frequency but the level may not be 1db.

If you do this same exercise through a wide range of frequencies from low to high you will find that a lot of headphones, and speakers, give back different output levels at different frequency ranges. Even though the input signal for any given frequency is the same, the output level is not.

For critical listening mixing and recording you want a monitor that will give a response that is as even as possible across the widest possible frequency range. I am pretty sure that for the price of beats you can probably get something a whole lot better.
Si
For the price of beats you could get a couple of pairs of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, which are the last headphones you'll ever need to but (by the time you are paying enough to get a significant improvement, you should be looking at monitor speakers instead).

As for an interface you do need one. If you only want to use your 1 mic then the Blue Icicle is fairly cheap and would work perfectly fine for that.
Have you read the interface sticky?
I'm not that sure you did.
If you didn't do it already, do it.
If you did it, do it again.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Have you read the interface sticky?
I'm not that sure you did.
If you didn't do it already, do it.
If you did it, do it again.

Okay, I have read it 2-3 times now, and still don't see why I need to read it(though good to know that I was right about the guitar link thing my parents got me thinking it went with the Shure SM57).
If you don't see why you need to read it, go and read it again.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well, thanks for the help anyways... went to another place and found out what I need to get(now to decide between a video camera or audio interface)...
Do you want to create videos, or do you want to create audio recordings?

Even with videos, the best ones you'll find have the audio recorded separately (using kit like that recommended in the sticky) rather than using the camera's in-built mic.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Do you want to create videos, or do you want to create audio recordings?

Even with videos, the best ones you'll find have the audio recorded separately (using kit like that recommended in the sticky) rather than using the camera's in-built mic.

I guessed built in mics suck, so I was planning on like having it how I already record with the mic hooked up to the laptop, but with the camera recording at the same time, then muting the video and syncing the music up with it.

Also just found a use for my IPad Going to control my DAW/Laptop with it, not what I originally got it for, but still is useful.