Ive been playing mainly electric guitar for 11:years but decided to start learning fingerpicking on acoustic. Got really into davy graham. Paul simon. Mark knopfler. Lindsey buckingham and chet atkins. Who is generally considered the best fingerpicking guitarist?
I don't think that anyone is considered the best fingerpicking guitarist because finger picking is used in all kinds of very diverse types of music with all different kinds of techniques, and so they really can't be compared.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
There is no best. My personal favourites are:

Antoine Dufour
Michael Hedges
Andy McKee
Tommy Emmanuel
Quote by carlitoeztevez
Ive been playing mainly electric guitar for 11:years but decided to start learning fingerpicking on acoustic. Got really into davy graham. Paul simon. Mark knopfler. Lindsey buckingham and chet atkins. Who is generally considered the best fingerpicking guitarist?
Why don't you simply practice finger picking on your electrics? After all, that's what both Knopfler and Buckingham are noted for.

If you're interested in the, "best finger picker of all time", I'd vote for either Andres Segovia, or Carlos Montoya, with maybe Chet Atkins thrown in for good measure.

Actually, the question is a bit supercilious. I worship Mark Knopfler's sense of melody, comedy, and irony. But, I think he's far from, "the greatest finger picker that ever lived".
Exactly as Cranky says. "Best of" threads generally are "who I like" threads.

You can also throw in the very wide selection of fingerstyle jazz artists; Lenny Breau, Joe Pass, Duck Baker... Many others.