Ok, so I've had this Ibanez for awhile and I haven't managed to change the strings myself yet till recently. I've been holding off because I've never had a double locking guitar before.

I watched a video on how to do it and I did it a few days ago however, I'm noticing a problem....It seems as if the tremolo is coming up, as if the string tension is pulling it. I read it could be the springs so I tightened them all the way and its a lot better but It doesn't quite look parallel like it should.

Anyone know what the problem is? I'm wondering if maybe I put too much extra string length on the neck/tuners end?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
The Floyd Rose is a balance between the string tension and the tension of the springs behind the guitar. The tremolo should sit almost parallel with the guitar's surface if the balance is correct.

If your bridge is too far forward, tighten the springs in back so that it is halfway of where it was before, then retune. Rinse, repeat.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 21, 2014,
You can't have too much string on tuner. Just release or tighten the springs until the bridge is parallel to the body.
Did you change to a thicker gauge string? If you did you might have to add a spring, you might run out of adjustment in the claw if you don't have enough spring for the guage you're using.

Can you post a picture of the bridge?
Quote by J_W
Did you change to a thicker gauge string? If you did you might have to add a spring, you might run out of adjustment in the claw if you don't have enough spring for the guage you're using.

Can you post a picture of the bridge?

I did switch to thicker strings. And I can show a picture but I'm currently at work. I will update this when I'm home. Sorry =(
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Add one more spring and you'll be back in business.
Just remember that most Ibanez trems don't look level when setup properly. The base plate is shaped like a wedge and not flat like a typical Floyd Rose. So when setup level it will look raised up in the rear. So if you watch videos on how to setup an FR make sure you watch one for the kind of Ibanez trem you have and not one for a typical Floyd Rose.
Quote by Starcounter1
^This

Don't jump to conclusions till we see pics. We are talking about an Ibanez trem not a Floyd Rose. They do not look the same when setup properly and level.
Just add spring. Don't need pictures. It doesn't matter if it is an OFR, edge 2, 3, lo-trs ii, or any other floating trem ibanez may use.

If you go up on string gauge, and your claw is anywhere near maxed out, let alone completely tightened, you need to add a new spring.
Last edited by Starcounter1 at Mar 20, 2014,
Quote by Starcounter1
Just add spring. Don't need pictures. It doesn't matter if it is an OFR, edge 2, 3, lo-trs ii, or any other floating trem ibanez may use.

If you go up on string gauge, and your claw is anywhere near maxed out, let alone completely tightened, you need a new spring.

Whatever dude. They look different when setup properly. I'm not saying he doesn't need to add a spring, that's up for debate till we see some pics and know what bridge he has. If it's the common Edge bridges they use then it's going to look jacked up in the back when setup level. Whereas a Floyd will actually look level when setup level.

I'v seen to many people try to setup an Edge the wrong way to just assume they are doing it properly. Especialy when they seem to be unfamiliar with Floyd style trems all together. I wouldn't just say throw another spring in there without knowing for sure if it's being done right to begin with. IMO that's not helping anybody. For all we know he may need to loosen the trem claw.

Properly (for the most part) setup Ibby Edge. Certainly does not look like an OFR when set level. I pulled this pic off the web, to me it looks like the back could come up just a hair bit more.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Mar 20, 2014,
It's a second series RG470, with lo-trs trem. It has a flat base plate. You set it up level to the body like most trems.

He needs another spring, he changed string guage and says it's pulling his trem forward.
Quote by J_W
It's a second series RG470, with lo-trs trem. It has a flat base plate. You set it up level to the body like most trems.

He needs another spring, he changed string guage and says it's pulling his trem forward.

^This
If it's pulling trem into the body, tightening the springs could do the job, but if it's tightened almost to the maximum then I would agree it needs another spring too.
Quote by J_W

See that's what I'm talking about. Now that I know what kind of trem it is I can safely say that it needs a spring added to level it out. I'm not going to just jump to conclusions like most people do. I need info before I suggest anything. So I wasn't wrong. I just needed to know what bridge he had before I could say if he needed a spring added or not.

It really helps to know what you're working with, especially with an Ibanez that comes with so many different types of trems. When someone just says Ibanez guitar it tells you nothing. When it comes to setting up FR's I'm a pro, I'v been dealing with them since the early '90s. So you guys can't tell me anything I don't already know.