Poll: Which is the better fit?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the better fit?
ec-1000
2 100%
PRO Se Zach Myers
0 0%
Voters: 2.
I consider myself a rising guitar player, I practice everyday and I have owned only acoustics, my favorite being my esp Ltd exotic wood. I'm looking at electrics and I'm torn between those two I mentioned, both beautiful guitars, I'm leaning towards the PRS, the biggest difference though are the pickups. I play mostly bluesy rock, my favorite bands pearl jam, mad season, led zepplin, incubus, and I love playing some mellow jack Johnson. So here's the million dollar question... are the EMG pickups so superior that the ec-1000 is a better deal? Are they just for metal?(which I never play if Metallica isn't true metal nowadays) Is the PRS more versatile like I need it to be or are the pick ups mediocre? If so could I put EMG pickups in the PRS?
So let's say I get the PRS despite the fact that the stock pickups are ehhh, what emgs are compatible and what's a good deal?
Last edited by jgonjuh at Mar 19, 2014,
the emgs are better pickups but less suited (IMO) to the stuff you're going to be playing.

either an ec1000 with duncans or the prs se with a pickup swap (to passives, most likely) would be the thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the emgs are better pickups but less suited (IMO) to the stuff you're going to be playing.

either an ec1000 with duncans or the prs se with a pickup swap (to passives, most likely) would be the thing.

So by passives you mean the EMG passives? Or is there a favorite brand you have in mind?
no, emg passives are generally considered to be not that great.

there's a model of the ec1000 which comes stock with duncans. if you get that version it'll do what you want fine out of the box (though the JB is arguably a bit hot, but it'll still be way more suitable than EMGs).

If you're planning on swapping pickups you have tons of options, really. I realise that's no help, but it's better than telling you to look at one specific model which I might like but which you might not- or worse, giving the impression that that's the only pickup which'll do what you want, when that's not the case- virtually every pickup manufacturer makes a PAF-style pickup. Granted, some are better than others, but yeah.

Also getting a pickup with the right specs for what you want is far more important than brand loyalty. You most likely want something in the PAF vein (or hot PAF).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 20, 2014,