I've always been more into the Metal genre, specially Prog Metal, and I'm on my way to start a Prog Metal band. I have a Fender Blacktop Stratpocaster which I bought upon release mainly for the looks, but now I look back and realize I may have made a bad purchase.

I'm looking for a HH guitar, max budget of 750$/550€. I'm more inclined to an Ibanez, and since I love the Stratocaster look I got my eyes on the S models. A quick search on the website of my usual store came up with the S420, S421 and S570, and the last one seemed the most interesting but is HSH, which I loathe for how clogged and non-ergonomic it is.

Feel free to make any suggestions, as long as it is in the price range.
I think just about anything will suit you... I mean Devin Townsend uses every possible type or profile you can think of in his music. It just depends on what you can do with the guitar you want.
I play in a prog band and I use an SG, PRS and a Telecaster. They work just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Explain why exactly this guitar doesn't suit prog metal genre. I mean, it is HH too, right?
It depends what kind of heaviness you want to develop. To me, that Blacktop is great for Prog Metal unless you need 24 frets and a Floyd and that sort of stuff. So to me, if there is no need for Floyd or other locking tremolo to do crazy divebombs and no need for 24 frets... Then there is no need to sell your Blacktop or consider it "not fitting".

However, the S570 is probably by far the most comfortable body shape in the price range I have personally ever tried. If you don't want HSH just get rid of the single coil in the middle... or lower it down to the point it doesn't create an obstacle to your picking. I play my Gibson LP, which is HH and still I adjust very well to my Squier Strat, that is all singles. With my picking I rarely hit the middle pickup.

To finish, what you need for Prog Metal is versatility and that is mainly your amp and how well you suit yourself to that playing style.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 19, 2014,
Quote by Sakke
Explain why exactly this guitar doesn't suit prog metal genre. I mean, it is HH too, right?
It depends what kind of heaviness you want to develop. To me, that Blacktop is great for Prog Metal unless you need 24 frets and a Floyd and that sort of stuff. So to me, if there is no need for Floyd or other locking tremolo to do crazy divebombs and no need for 24 frets... Then there is no need to sell your Blacktop or consider it "not fitting".

When I bought the Blacktop I was not experiencied and well informed as I am today (compared to back then that is) about more subtle things such as comfort or body material. I realize now the neck in the Blacktop is much bulkier than I wished it was, and I can only lower the string action so much.

I took some guitar lessons a few months ago and played mainly on my teacher's Ibanez (which I can't recall the model), and sometimes a Yamaha. As I was learning proper hand skills and building up speed, I noticed how much more natural playing on a slim neck felt, and because the neck is flat the action could be lowered more than on the Strat and I felt much more comfortable playing it. I can safely say I played better and faster with that type of guitar. Even my teacher got a bit confused as to why I got a Fender when I played mainly metal. Ok, I know Fender is not stranger to metal (Iron Maiden, Slipknot...) but I get his point.

Also, another thing about the HSH on the S570 is the modding. I don't want to worry about single coils, but even if I take it out like you suggested it'll end up with a fugly hole. Are there any other S's you could recommend?
Quote by SamuraiMav
A quick search on the website of my usual store came up with the S420, S421 and S570, and the last one seemed the most interesting but is HSH, which I loathe for how clogged and non-ergonomic it is.

Those should be fine, S420 and S421 are the same guitars, only difference is the bridge, 421 has fixed bridge while 420 has ZR bridge which is great, so just decide do you want fixed bridge or tremolo.
Quote by SamuraiMav
How does the S520 compare to it?

S520 is made in Japan, S420 is made in Indonesia. Therefore S520 is probably built better, it has different neck, pickups, wood, hardware, overall it should be a better guitar.
Quote by SamuraiMav
When I bought the Blacktop I was not experiencied and well informed as I am today (compared to back then that is) about more subtle things such as comfort or body material. I realize now the neck in the Blacktop is much bulkier than I wished it was, and I can only lower the string action so much.

I took some guitar lessons a few months ago and played mainly on my teacher's Ibanez (which I can't recall the model), and sometimes a Yamaha. As I was learning proper hand skills and building up speed, I noticed how much more natural playing on a slim neck felt, and because the neck is flat the action could be lowered more than on the Strat and I felt much more comfortable playing it. I can safely say I played better and faster with that type of guitar. Even my teacher got a bit confused as to why I got a Fender when I played mainly metal. Ok, I know Fender is not stranger to metal (Iron Maiden, Slipknot...) but I get his point.

Also, another thing about the HSH on the S570 is the modding. I don't want to worry about single coils, but even if I take it out like you suggested it'll end up with a fugly hole. Are there any other S's you could recommend?

The valid point here at least is that you find the neck too bulky. I'm not too sure why you find your strat's action too high though, you could look into that more.
Don't take out the single coil, just lower it, if you don't want to have a hole there.
I would recommend you highly PRS guitars, they have many new SE line models. They're more comfortable for me to play than Ibanez, because I find the S series and RG series neck far too slim.. Definitely give them a try, they're versatility machines.
http://prsguitars.com/se_floyd_custom24/

As far as Ibanez S series goes, I think you've got the models from there.. You can always try and find old Ibanez guitars that could fit you, for example the "Radius" model. http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/440RHH
For Ibanez, I used RG505 for a short while. I found the neck uncomfortably slim, but it was very easy to get a low action.. That being said, I have no problem getting a low enough action on my LP or Strat.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.