i have a neck with the gotoh truss rod adjustment on the side, much like this one:

i changed the strings and the string gauge is too high, so there's too much front bow and the action gets unreasonably high.

i know i need to turn the truss rod clockwise, but can i do it while the guitar is strung or will that damage something somehow?

(i'm one of those truss rod pussies who has the irrational fear that if he touches it the guitar will explode, so i want to make ABSOLUTELY sure what i'm doing is okay before i do it)
No. The guitar will explode.

It won't damage anything. You would have to go absolutely mental on the truss rod to do any damage. Just turn it 1/4 turn at a time and see what happens. Your neck relief should in the ballpark of about 0.5mm from the string to the 7th fret.

The position of that truss rod access hole looks really, really impractical though. Do you have to take the neck off the guitar to adjust it? If you do, that's a major asspain.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 19, 2014,
...IMpractical? no, it's SUPER practical. they're completely accessible while the neck is on the guitar and strung up. the picture is of a righty neck, but it's upside down, so when the guitar is put together, it will be near the second carve (fret access one)
Cool.

It seems to fix a problem that doesn't exist, but cool.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.