On sheer style and tone alone, Joe is probably my favorite current player. I'm trying to figure out his picking style but it's hard to tell via videos alone. Does he primarily alternate pick his stuff? Is it economy & Alt mixed together? My alt picking is coming along well, albeit slowly, but my economy is pretty bad. I assumed I should get my alt up to snuff before starting on economy, but not sure.
I can't say I know a lot about the guy, but most well-known players use alt picking as their standard. It's the default technique.

Economy picking is something you use for legato phrasing, where you want the notes to sort of run together, and the accents are usually a little weaker. Often players will use economy technique for a little arpeggio or scale run leading into a dramatic note.

It's really about appropriate usage. You can play most of the same stuff with either, so it's depends what the music calls for.
He uses both, it depends on the tone he is after.

As graves said though, you can play most things with both. So i would just recommend learning his stuff and if you think it sounds too harsh with alt picking, trying economy pick it and vise versa.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
He also uses hybrid picking (holing the pick normally and using that and fingers 2, 3 and 4). Or he often tucks the pick in index finger and then finger picks with T, 2, 3 and 4.

Joe has been playing for around 30 years, and gigging for 25 of those. As such he's got a good feel for different techniques and uses what he feels fits the song/passage/lick best.
Quote by RyanMW2010
On sheer style and tone alone, Joe is probably my favorite current player. I'm trying to figure out his picking style but it's hard to tell via videos alone. Does he primarily alternate pick his stuff? Is it economy & Alt mixed together? My alt picking is coming along well, albeit slowly, but my economy is pretty bad. I assumed I should get my alt up to snuff before starting on economy, but not sure.

Honestly, I highly doubt he uses any strict picking approach. He probably couldn't tell you what he's doing. Either approach would work.

If you're interested in Joe Bonamassa's approach, you should check out Eric Johnson as well, since he's Bonamassa's main influence for those fast pentatonic runs ( it's not a subtle influence either...for a while it was borderline plagiarism( the good kind though lol)). Eric Johnson has a DVD instructional video that is excellent and that may have some tips on how to approach those runs from a picking standpoint.

You should also check out the guitarist Eric Gales, who is also heavily influenced by Eric Johnson's pentatonic approach.
i say just work on alternate picking for now. i feel like economy picking just sort of happens.

case in point, the other day i was demonstrating a cool lick from a recording i did, and he asked me to explain the picking. i said oh its just alternate picking. then i played it, paid attention to my picking, and BOOM! it turns out i have been economy picking for years and didnt realize it
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by reverb66

If you're interested in Joe Bonamassa's approach, you should check out Eric Johnson as well, since he's Bonamassa's main influence for those fast pentatonic runs ( it's not a subtle influence either...for a while it was borderline plagiarism( the good kind though lol)).

That's what i was gonna say. i've never really looked too hard at JB's playing (I don't dislike him as such but i much prefer EJ), but a lot of his stuff is very, er, "inspired by" EJ, so it's entirely possible some of that faster stuff is economy picking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
That's what i was gonna say. i've never really looked too hard at JB's playing (I don't dislike him as such but i much prefer EJ), but a lot of his stuff is very, er, "inspired by" EJ, so it's entirely possible some of that faster stuff is economy picking.

of course, I'm primarily interested in how he picks the faster stuff