For starters, it's very hard to hear. Man, you've got your volume almost at 0. I can hear your pick hitting the strings over the amp. Nothing is gonna sound good at that level, the speaker's not even gonna work properly.

But that aside, you've got no mids and your top end isn't there either. Turn the tone control on the guitar up and turn up your mids.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, that was asking about something somewhat related but different. I just want to see if anyone has eq suggestions. Sorry about not mentioning it in the post.
Quote by Cathbard
For starters, it's very hard to hear. Man, you've got your volume almost at 0. I can hear your pick hitting the strings over the amp. Nothing is gonna sound good at that level, the speaker's not even gonna work properly.

But that aside, you've got no mids and your top end isn't there either. Turn the tone control on the guitar up and turn up your mids.

I have no mids? They are on 8
I don't think a single-coil neck pickup is the correct choice for the kind of things you are playing. Try playing on the bridge and it should be less muddy
I'm not hearing shit. Try turning the amp up a bit. You guitar is louder acoustically than it is out of the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Mar 20, 2014,
bridge pickup, volume up so the speaker can actually push some air, bridge the effects loop, turn gain boost off and put all tone controls to five. From there, just add or take away a little a time of what the tone sounds like it needs. Tone and volumes on your guitar to full.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Idk what you mean I can here the amp fine in the the video but whatever ill make another one when I get home from school in approximately 15 hours
When we can hear the electric guitar's strings above the level of the amp of the video, how do you suppose we can help you fix a tone problem? The amp on that volume level isn't going to sound near as good as it will turned up a bit. That may be a lot of the problem if you usually play turned down that low.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I think you are missing the point. If we can hear the guitar acoustically that loud against the amp, the amp is too quiet to expect a decent tone. You do actually have to make the speaker move you know? It isn't a pair of headphones, they're 12" guitar speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
watch this video, specifically the part about the finding the sweet spot on your amp. cranking your mids all the way will make your guitar be there but it will sound shite. Like bluestrat said play on your bridge for what style your playing. Heck when I play punk stuff I like to raise the pick up a bit to get more umph out of it. Turn down the gain a bit too. gain all the way loses the tone of the actual guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRERK4PJpI&list=UUxrmpiKC7STaDpgWQBwwGMA&feature=share&index=9
Yeah, I do play that low of volume normally. But I do have some money, what do you think would be the best enhancement possible for under $100? Change amp speaker(currently stock)? Pickups? Mods in the amp? Idk. I have my mexi fender and my peavey vk-112
Last edited by 457undead at Mar 20, 2014,
honestly, a speaker change would be great for the amp (they use junk speakers) but once you bump that volume up that should make quite a difference. Also turn the gain down to around 5 to start. You don't need as much gain as you would think and that will help the tone too.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Check out WGS. They definitely can use a speaker swap, the stock tubes are pretty rubbish too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok for starters (aside from the volume issue mentioned) way to much distortion. a strat's neck pickup should sing not be a distorted mess. try the 666 eq and make a few adjustments from there (8 is probably to high for mids). now not to be a dick but your playing could use some work and yes it does affect your sound.
turn down the gain and turn up the volume. if you can't turn up the volume, get a line 6 pod and headphones. you will seriously never get decent tone at those volumes, no matter all the speaker and tube swaps in the world. you need to actually drive your speakers.
that buzzing is normal.
it all sounds fine. you are using a heck of a lot of distortion still, though. just keep playing, keep learning, keep having fun. your gear sounds just fine. the rest just comes with time.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
OK, that's better. One thing though, and it's a common rookie mistake, too much reverb. That's where the muddiness is coming from.

As for the buzzing, that's just sounds like the pickups picking up noise in the room from other electrical appliances and the amp itself. It changes as you walk around the room doesn't it? Eliminating that sort of noise is why humbuckers were invented.
The old way of coping with that is to kill the volume on the guitar when you aren't playing. When you are playing it gets swamped and doesn't matter.

But having said that, you should still think about a speaker upgrade at some stage. This would be a good choice on a tight budget:
http://wgs4.com/content/vet30

And then upgrade the tubes, particularly the preamp tubes. When that time comes, start another thread here for suggestions on which ones to buy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you're using the neck pickup for high-gain rhythm? that's a one-way ticket to mud city. switch to the bridge pickup.

and yeah, the buzzing is because of single coil pickups. there's a reason why 'humbuckers' are named as such.
Back the treble to six and play around on the bridge pickup, see if you like it better. It should sound much better for those styles
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
a speaker swap would be a benefit, but personally, i would tweak the stock preamp tubes. even just the first one.

the right set of tubes can clean up a bit of mud. either a 12ax7 that you like (and sometimes i pair it with a 12at7 in the last preamp spot, but some people dont like that) or a 5751. i LOVE 5751s for thier ability to clean up the fuzz by dropping some gain, but not enough that you notice. its enough that your amp sounds better IMO.

other than that, yes, low volume kills tone. your amp is like a car, and no car just wants to idle, especially not a race car. most amps perform best at live stage volume, and in this world, 95% of us cant do that in our homes on the reg any more. this is why axe effects and kempers are becoming more popular. direct outs to mixers, etc.

tweaking your rig. hum cancelling pups would make a difference. perhaps bet some stacked single coils. your playing some harder genres like silver sun pickups and smashing pumpkins, perhaps some rails would be good for you.

try not using the neck so much, i really like reverb but dont over do it, and back down the gain a bit. you got some fizzy mess going on there.

lastly and most painfully - playing skill. not bad man, but you got some technique issues. we all do and im not one to point fingers, but your first vid was just striaght up sloppy especially on the smashing pumpkins part.

...honestly, i find bullet with butterfly wings hard to play at that end part where he does the bends. you have to switch really fast from chords to a quick bend and back, and the timing cant be hard to hit right on. atleast it tripped me up.

billy corgan also has marvelous bends in songs like "Today" which can be hard to get the vibrato right, and he also has an iconic fuzz tone.

my guess is you are trying to emulate a hard rock fuzz tone by cranking your gain. sometimes that approach can get a tone that pulls it off. i do it all the time. but you are really chasing a fuzz tone.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Like others have said, that noise is from running a lot of gain/volume and your Strat's single-coil pickups. It comes with the territory of using a Strat/anything with single-coils. If it really bothers you, get a noise gate like a Boss NS-2. Those can be set to completely eliminate that hum.

And to echo what others have said, you'll have a much cleaner, clearer sound on most of your stuff by using your bridge pickup. There's of course many different philosophies on how to use a guitar, but I think of the neck pickup as best suited for cleans and softer playing, and single-note lead runs when you want a little more warmth on your leads. For everything else -- bridge pickup.

And finally, just keep working at your playing. You've got decent gear -- just worry about tweaking it right and focus on your playing. Also, save the "epic-stage-posturing" for when you can play your material perfectly.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
ok the clean stuff sounded ok no real problem there. once again way to much distortion. dude I have the same setup (my strat has a maple neck and the pups aren't stock but still single coils) try the gain at 4-5 and lighten up your touch. you have a very heavy handed approach which is causing some of your problems. I'd also suggest getting an overdrive to help with the distorted sound. as mentioned the neck pickup really isn't great for rhythm playing for more metally playing. if you look you'll see that often the rhythm player in a metal band only has (or uses) a bridge pickup. neck pickups on strats are great for leads and I use mine often. in my profile you'll find the songs Valley Of Gwangi and Land Unknown both played with strats and both feature distorted sounds
Single coils + high gain = buzz. To get rid of the buzz, turn your gain down a bit, don't stand too close to your amp and also turn your guitar volume off when you are not playing.

I don't think your tone was that bad, there was really nothing wrong with it other than the distortion sound was muddy because of the neck pickup. Use your bridge pickup for distorted rhythm sound.

Also, playing better makes you sound better. Seems like you had a lot of "feeling" in your playing. It's good to see you enjoy playing but don't let your feelings make your playing sound sloppy. Try focusing on playing cleanly and accurately.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Being a valveking owner myself there are 3 things you can do for under $100 that will help improve your distortion tone (if that is what you are looking for)
In addition to what others have said I would suggest taking a look at these

1. Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive pedal. ($45-$50)
What I do with mine is back the gain off on the amp to about 12 o'clock, then on the pedal itself max out the level and put the gain at zero and use the EQ to taste.

2. 1/4 inch Patch Cable ($5-$10)
You'd put this in the effects loop to bridge and I am blanking on why you do it at the moment but it cleans up your sound.

3. Hosa Headphone Adaptor 3.5mm TRS to 1/4in TRS Adaptor ($5-$10)
Throw this into input 1 and plug your guitar into input 2 this basically (if i recall correctly) lowers the gain a little from your guitar causing more clarity both on distortion and clean channels

and on final resource i have found useful is the Valveking Wiki page. There is a lot of info on the amp there
for most of the distortion stuff you would probably prefer using your neck pickups and rolling back the treble to about 6.

you could probably use a little less gain too, but i don't really see any big problems.

besides, i have heard the speakers on those amps aren't very impressive
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae