Today I brought home a new Deluxe Player's Strat, and I discovered that one of the pickguard screws is missing, and it looks like the hole underneath has been filled in. This is a brand new guitar.. Why might this be?

This is the 2nd Deluxe Player's Strat that I've bought (I bought this one as a project guitar), and it seems weird things might be common with these guitars.. The first one I bought had a sticker that said "Deluxe Player's Telecaster" (not Stratocaster), and then this one has a missing pickguard screw..

i would forward this to fender, see what they say.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Fender always took 3 or 4 days to email me back.

Does the guitar play and sound well? Every Strat is different. I wouldn't risk ditching a great Strat for something as easy as buying another screw for literally pocket change and just screwing it in.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
That is really odd...

I have had a few weird quality assurance issues with fender lately, but they have always been quick to remedy the problem after I contacted them.
I think if you were to put another screw in I'd drill a very small hole first. Small enough to where the threads have plenty of room. Big enough to stop the possible split from forcing a screw into the wood. That's pretty weird though. How'd that make it past them? How'd it make it past you?
The mismatched sticker on the first guitar may have been the result of an employee woth a hangover. As for the pickguard screw hole and repair, it might have something to do with being drilled with the "wrong" pattern. American Strats usually have one pickguard mounting screw in a different place than their Mexican counterparts. Line an American Strat pickguard directly over a Mexican Strat pickguard and you will see that one hole does not match up. Heaven only knows why this is so.

If it was an attempt to fix a mismatched pickguard on your guitar, then the repair should have qualified that guitar as a "Factory Second," and the price should have been noticeably less. Most companies mark any guitar that leaves the factory as a Factory Second quite clearly on the back of the headstock. But as others have suggested, I would call or e-mail Fender and ask them about it.

In the end, it is no big deal. If you like your guitar, just have a tech drill the properly sized hole and add a screw.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
The mismatched sticker on the first guitar may have been the result of an employee woth a hangover. As for the pickguard screw hole and repair, it might have something to do with being drilled with the "wrong" pattern. American Strats usually have one pickguard mounting screw in a different place than their Mexican counterparts. Line an American Strat pickguard directly over a Mexican Strat pickguard and you will see that one hole does not match up. Heaven only knows why this is so.

If it was an attempt to fix a mismatched pickguard on your guitar, then the repair should have qualified that guitar as a "Factory Second," and the price should have been noticeably less. Most companies mark any guitar that leaves the factory as a Factory Second quite clearly on the back of the headstock. But as others have suggested, I would call or e-mail Fender and ask them about it.

But shouldn't a brand-new Strat have the correct pickguard installed at the factory?

Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, it is no big deal. If you like your guitar, just have a tech drill the properly sized hole and add a screw.

Yeah, I had a tech at the store do that. Seems fine.
Quote by CalicoSkies
But shouldn't a brand-new Strat have the correct pickguard installed at the factory?

It should. But in this world, there is the way it should be and then there is the way it is. Sometimes, the two are completely different things.

Glad it worked out for you. You have a fine guitar there. Enjoy the hell out of it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley