Im looking for a relatively simple, but versatile effects pedal. I mean simple as in it preferably has knobs over a complex display screen, but if it has a screen and is simple to use then so be it. And by versatile I mean I would like it to be able to play a variety of sounds, but also go heavy in terms of rock and metal since that's mostly what I play. A wah/octave/volume pedal is needed to. So far I've seen the Vox Tonelab EX which looks pretty good. The GT-10 looks more versatile, but also looks kinda complicated. I know I tried out the HD500 and it was a bit too complicated for me. Another one I've been looking at is the Zoom G9 as well. Any other suggestions?

I've been playing for years now, but I think not having a simple and easy to use multi-effects pedal has limited my playing abilities a bit. I have an amp, but I also live in an apartment and also have a roommate which takes that out of the equation. So I have to play through my headphones and would also like to record with it.

Trying to stay under 300 dollars...
Never tried the G9, but the Zoom G5 is an excellent pedal. You won't get better value for money than one of those.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
This sounds exactly like my Boss me-25
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
You didn't really make it clear:

Do you need amp/cab models, or are you just looking for a strictly multi-FX?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The M13 looks pretty straightforward. It may look a bit intimidating at first glance but the setup seems pretty simple really. No amp modelling though, it's just a stompbox modeller.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Zoom G3X or G5, Digitech RP 360XP

Those fit in your budget & work well with headphones along with ease of use.

The GT10/100 is easier to navigate on the fly compared to the Pod HD but very difficult to get useable sounds for amp modelling. The zoom G9 is an older unit & doesnt offer the free routing features of the new ones, also older dsp
Quote by Offworld92
You didn't really make it clear:

Do you need amp/cab models, or are you just looking for a strictly multi-FX?

I guess a bit of everything since I wont be using a physical amp with it. I want just a plug it in, hook up to my pc, and play and record type deal. I hate tweaking a bunch if stuff...
The Zoom G5 would be my pick. It has the benefit of a drum machine that can be synced to it's 60 sec looper. It also has the any effect in any order ability, which is a relatively recent feature being implemented in multifx. Headphone out and and USB audio interface. And it's in your budget.
After looking, Im probably gonna go with the Zoom G5. Seems to have the most effects and best amp sims for the money. Most of the reviews Ive seen are through amps though. Does it sound just the same through a PC? Im only going to be using it connected through a PC, no amp or cab or anything.
It sounds good through headphones, so I would expect it to sound as good recorded through the USB.
Quote by fly135
It sounds good through headphones, so I would expect it to sound as good recorded through the USB.

Ok thanks. One other thing. I heard it doesnt have an MP3 player port to play along with other songs. Does that mean Im pretty much going to have to play along with them on the pc through some other software while I play? I play along to a lot of songs and its my main motivation for getting it, so thats kinda important.
I love my GT-6 and the GT-10 isn't too far off. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy to get any tone you want. (Plus Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth used a GT-10, just to drop a name).
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
A quick question about your trial of the POD HD, did you use just the board or did you use the PC software? I've used an older BOSS GT board (GT-6B) and hated the hassle of setting the thing but the GUI with the POD hooked to a pc is pretty simple and straight forward and then if needed much easier to tweak from the board for minor adjustments if it's not possible to use it with the PC.
Quote by jaymz9350
A quick question about your trial of the POD HD, did you use just the board or did you use the PC software? I've used an older BOSS GT board (GT-6B) and hated the hassle of setting the thing but the GUI with the POD hooked to a pc is pretty simple and straight forward and then if needed much easier to tweak from the board for minor adjustments if it's not possible to use it with the PC.

I only used the POD HD in a guitar center, never at home. It was through headphones too. Was a bit too complicated for me.
Quote by -Lateralus-
I only used the POD HD in a guitar center, never at home. It was through headphones too. Was a bit too complicated for me.

The GUI is way simpler than using any on unit settings I've ever tried, basically pick what effect you want and turn the knobs with your mouse.
Quote by jaymz9350

The GUI is way simpler than using any on unit settings I've ever tried, basically pick what effect you want and turn the knobs with your mouse.

I much prefer a floor unit with actual knobs to tweaking it on the pc though. I also dont really like the tone Ive gotten out of POD Farm. Its probably me, but nothing through POD farm really wows me. Also the PODs have too much of a "metallic" and processed sound for me.
Quote by -Lateralus-
Ok thanks. One other thing. I heard it doesnt have an MP3 player port to play along with other songs. Does that mean Im pretty much going to have to play along with them on the pc through some other software while I play? I play along to a lot of songs and its my main motivation for getting it, so thats kinda important.

That or you could get a small mixer and hook the g5 and your music device up to it if you're using headphones.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
That or you could get a small mixer and hook the g5 and your music device up to it if you're using headphones.

Yea, Im not trying to buy more sh*t haha. Im trying to get something that is easy and does most of the work so I can just play.
TC elec Nova sys is awesome... And can be found fairly cheap used.
Quote by -Lateralus-
Yea, Im not trying to buy more sh*t haha. Im trying to get something that is easy and does most of the work so I can just play.
There is no aux input for the G5. Don't people own stereo systems anymore? I've got four in my house.
Quote by fly135
There is no aux input for the G5. Don't people own stereo systems anymore? I've got four in my house.

I live in a small place with a roommate, so I dont have room for a lot of stuff and no need for a stereo. People have headphones and laptops now you know...

I'm probably going with the Zoom pedals, I'm just trying to decide between the different ones now like the G3X, G5, and G9.2tt.
Last edited by -Lateralus- at Mar 24, 2014,
We've always had headphones, it's just that people weren't always timid little creatures jammed together and scared of other sardines in a can.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Unfortunately, in most cans in the US, there are sardines who call the police if they hear the faintest whisper of a fretted note in their neighborhood after sunset. Nobody wants to use headphones but they sound a lil better than fines and gear confiscation.

I wouldn't bother with the zoom 9.2. The G3 and 5 are great bang for your buck but previous Zoom multifx products are pretty sad.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Mar 24, 2014,
11 rack? I was really impressed how well it works and sounds great (IMO) that is what i would do.

also the TC G system is impressive as well.

both a little different, but they are pretty damn nice.

i would have to put them in a back to back to see what they really
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I was also going to suggest the G-System until he said that modelling was a feature he wanted. With the specs that he's after, I hate to say it but the HD500X sounds like the thing to have.
TS, I'd say, buck up, spend some serious time learning how to drive it and forget all this "user freindly" nonsense. Once you know it inside and out, it won't be any harder than anything else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
We've always had headphones, it's just that people weren't always timid little creatures jammed together and scared of other sardines in a can.

Or perhaps some people have these things called jobs which make them have different rest times.... Im a night person, so I like to stay up late and you cant exactly blast an amp at those times of night and if you turn it down, its obviously not going to sound good either.
MF has the new low end Zoom G1on and G1Xon ($50/$70) that has aux in and a 30 sec looper with drum machine.
Quote by fly135
MF has the new low end Zoom G1on and G1Xon ($50/$70) that has aux in and a 30 sec looper with drum machine.

I haven't tried one yet, I just googled it for details but the looper on it seems awful. According to the mf description, the time has to be predetermind. I'm sure it can still be somewhat useful, but that doesn't seem near as practice/jam friendly as the stomp-play-stomp-play functionality of any useable looper.

Not saying its not maybe a good call here or thats its not worth the $50, just pointing out the looper may be practically useless. Have you tried one? I like the single pedal multifx but this just looks suspiciously like vintage Zoom multifx.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by -Lateralus-
Or perhaps some people have these things called jobs which make them have different rest times.... Im a night person, so I like to stay up late and you cant exactly blast an amp at those times of night and if you turn it down, its obviously not going to sound good either.
That's not an "or." It's a subset of what I said. My statement encompassed all of that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification