Page 1 of 3
So I've been sitting next to a great idea for years and only recently recognized it might have a broader appeal. Prototype is made, manufacturing sorted, provisional patent being written up and I'm almost good to go. And the weird part is, NO current guitar wall hanger company offers an alternative.

So I come to you gauging interest now.

Specifically, for those who can't wall mount their guitars the traditional way (impenetrable concrete walls like I suffered with when I lived in Honolulu, dorm room rules or offices that don't allow drilling or maybe you just plain want to avoid the DIY hassle and drywall damage) I've developed a way to vertically store/display your guitar that also travels with you — so you can hang your guitar anywhere, including rehearsal studios, hotel rooms, even in transit inside vans and SUVs. Hell, you don't even need a wall. Use a floor standing mirror or side of bookshelf and you've got what you need. And it's pocketable, so it will fit in your case or gig bag when you travel.

So my question to you: Do you think there's a market for this? Or should I assume most people are ok with standard wall mounts as the defacto solution?
Is this something you would encourage me to manufacture and sell direct myself (both of which I do have plenty of experience in), or take to an existing company like String Swing or Proline or Hercules Stands for licensing?

Can't share a pic yet until the provisional is squared away...

(How I actually came up with this was because in my house growing up, my father never let me hang things heavier than posters with scotch tape. He was too stubborn about avoiding drywall holes...)
Last edited by RiotActor at Mar 20, 2014,
I would absolutely love something like this.

Assuming it can actually safely support up to 20lbs and it is aesthetically pleasing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I would absolutely love something like this.

Assuming it can actually safely support up to 20lbs and it is aesthetically pleasing.

That's the plan. It'd actually be MORE secure than current wall mounts with drywall anchors to rip and stud screws to strip.

Aesthetically, I'm thinking a semi-gloss powder-coated black metal. Look up the Fender Halo for this. I like the idea of String Swing hangers, but am really not a fan of their textured, matte effect.
Sounds like a great idea
Fender Baja Telecaster
Gretsch G5422tdc
Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Vox AC15C1
sounds interesting as its always tricky when you're hopping around uni/rented accommodation.

Really struggling to imagine how its possible to do this without any sort of holes somewhere in the wall or a foot on the floor so am intrigued to see the final design!

The one thing i would say is that it needs to promote complete and utter confidence in its ability to hang safely. I have a hercules wall bracket which i love and have used in different rental places. I'm handy enough with a drill to be confident enough in my ability to install properly, but i still leave a huge pile of cushions under the guitar for about a week before properly trusting each installation.

This would obviously be an issue for anything which you move around as you'll need to have complete trust on every set up that it isn't going to drop your pride and joy.

Either way, good on you for trying to develop something new, and good luck!
Sounds great, unless it's using something that will rip paint off of walls.

I'd say make them and sell them yourself - **** middle men.

If it takes off, companies will come after you anyway.
Quote by jecooper86
The one thing i would say is that it needs to promote complete and utter confidence in its ability to hang safely. I have a hercules wall bracket which i love and have used in different rental places. I'm handy enough with a drill to be confident enough in my ability to install properly, but i still leave a huge pile of cushions under the guitar for about a week before properly trusting each installation.

This would obviously be an issue for anything which you move around as you'll need to have complete trust on every set up that it isn't going to drop your pride and joy.

I can understand this point of view. I'd trust my Fender Custom Shop Strat on this puppy over a wall mount any day. It uses the existing structure of your house wall to secure it.
Your big problem will be starting up getting people to trust you. I would love something like this, but I don't believe you. It has to be at least as strong as screws and not lose grip over years of being in the same spot or being rehung.

It also needs to compare in price to the hangers out there I can get a good hanger for $20-$30 any more then $50 I doubt it will sell.
Quote by mhanbury2
Your big problem will be starting up getting people to trust you. I would love something like this, but I don't believe you. It has to be at least as strong as screws and not lose grip over years of being in the same spot or being rehung.

It also needs to compare in price to the hangers out there I can get a good hanger for $20-$30 any more then $50 I doubt it will sell.

I agree with both these points.

You need to prove beyond any shred of doubt that your hanger offers 100% security, and the price has to be competitive.
Aesthetics is also important, but it's less important to me than those points. I mean, it's a mere wall hanger, i'm sure it's very simple and visually non-obtrusive.

If those requirements are met, i'd be interested in your product.

As far as distribution goes, don't go to those big brands, manufacturers of the same kind of products.

Sell the product yourself over the internet. Contact a few local stores and try to negotiate a deal for them to stock your product.
You could also contact big online stores (like MusicStore, Thomann, DV247, Prymaxe, Pro Guitar Shop, Musician's Friend, etc...) and see if you can work out a distribution deal.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Basically what everyone else said. You've got 3 main issues:

Price
Demand
Security

It's quite a niche market you're aiming at (people who can't drill holes in walls/guitarists/presumably rent payers/perhaps aesthetically inclined individuals). If you're selling your product at a premium due to engineering/manufacturing to an already small market, it will shrink even more. This coupled with your presumably small business name may create even more difficulty having a small market base.

Then you have to think about whether you sell your patent to a big company or risk failure doing it through your own medium.

Lots of questions and no answers... Just my .2c good luck my friend
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
is it like a non telescopic mic stand with a heavy base and a guitar mount at the top? That's a pretty good idea.

It would also be awesome if you sold an adapter kit for existing mic stands to replace the microphone holder. It would need to be a heavy duty mic stand but that's what disclaimers are for...
Quote by RiotActor
I can understand this point of view. I'd trust my Fender Custom Shop Strat on this puppy over a wall mount any day. It uses the existing structure of your house wall to secure it.

..it's an bar that you extend, with some padding/material on either end, and it goes into the corner of the room, isn't it?
Once extended securely into the corner, you can lock it with one of those wing-screws, yes?

Nice idea.
Quote by mhanbury2

It'd be impossible to lose grip, actually, and stronger than screws which can strip or depend on the wood to latch onto. The idea of being "rehung" doesn't apply, as it's designed to be portable and reusable. In short, it would outlast you or I on this earth.

I think I could get it into retail for about $15. I've got experience with manufacturing, distribution and retail (as well as ecommerce) but I'm admittedly new to this market.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Basically what everyone else said. You've got 3 main issues:

Price
Demand
Security

It's quite a niche market you're aiming at (people who can't drill holes in walls/guitarists/presumably rent payers/perhaps aesthetically inclined individuals). If you're selling your product at a premium due to engineering/manufacturing to an already small market, it will shrink even more. This coupled with your presumably small business name may create even more difficulty having a small market base.

Then you have to think about whether you sell your patent to a big company or risk failure doing it through your own medium.

Lots of questions and no answers... Just my .2c good luck my friend

No premium here, to be honest. Simply an improvement on wall hangers or an alternative to avoid drilling and having to permanently commit to one space on your wall to display.
Quote by flexiblemile
is it like a non telescopic mic stand with a heavy base and a guitar mount at the top? That's a pretty good idea.

It would also be awesome if you sold an adapter kit for existing mic stands to replace the microphone holder. It would need to be a heavy duty mic stand but that's what disclaimers are for...

No telescopic thing going on. Also, I think they make those already...
I'd definitely be interested in something like this. Always wanted to hang up my guitars, but I have the same problem as you, my dad is very anal about putting holes in the wall.
I am not interested at all at the moment. until you are able to show the product to me, then i can only assume i much prefer traditional guitar wall mounts.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
I am not interested at all at the moment. until you are able to show the product to me, then i can only assume i much prefer traditional guitar wall mounts.

Probably the safest answer. Understood.
I hope it's not going to be like the Scotch Command Wall hooks that stick on and you pull a tab to remove it. Those things are only as good as the top coat of paint when it comes to drywall. And I wouldn't trust anything as heavy as a guitar to be hung on any other surface using the same type of adhesive tape for any long period of time.

There's only so many ways you can attach something to a surface without some kind of screws or anchors or adhesives. I don't trust hanging anything with only an adhesive. Especially one that's supposed to be easily removed without damage. Otherwise it's a cool idea, and if it works and is truly tested every way possible I could see it selling.
I am quite skeptical that this is stronger than screws, and would have to see it in action to understand. I think the market will be quite small. I've never lost a security deposit since I fix damage before I move out.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I hope it's not going to be like the Scotch Command Wall hooks that stick on and you pull a tab to remove it. Those things are only as good as the top coat of paint when it comes to drywall. And I wouldn't trust anything as heavy as a guitar to be hung on any other surface using the same type of adhesive tape for any long period of time.

There's only so many ways you can attach something to a surface without some kind of screws or anchors or adhesives. I don't trust hanging anything with only an adhesive. Especially one that's supposed to be easily removed without damage. Otherwise it's a cool idea, and if it works and is truly tested every way possible I could see it selling.

No adhesives or magnets or screws. Simple physics and gravity.

I was surprised it's not already available anywhere on the market...
Quote by thr_wedge
I am quite skeptical that this is stronger than screws, and would have to see it in action to understand. I think the market will be quite small. I've never lost a security deposit since I fix damage before I move out.

Understand your skeptism and surely I'm not helping by being vague here. I guess the broader question really is: Do people prefer the wall mount storage/display of their guitars or using a floor stand? If it's the wall, I have a better way.
If everything you say is true there is a market, I would buy a couple. But won't believe it until I see it.
Quote by King Turi
..it's an bar that you extend, with some padding/material on either end, and it goes into the corner of the room, isn't it?
Once extended securely into the corner, you can lock it with one of those wing-screws, yes?

Nice idea.

Not even close. Besides, I can't imagine how what you propose would be pocketable.
ok well you hyped it up enough, I think. As I spent my teenage years saying to young girls, either put out or get out.

It's pretty clear that you signed up here just for this post. If you're not going to give more information, let this thread die, please
Quote by RiotActor
Understand your skeptism and surely I'm not helping by being vague here. I guess the broader question really is: Do people prefer the wall mount storage/display of their guitars or using a floor stand? If it's the wall, I have a better way.

Putting the question that way, between those two options, i'd prefer the wall mount.

I just use a floor stand precisely because my dad frowns upon drilling the walls (and it's not even a rented house, it's his own house).

Quote by flexiblemile
ok well you hyped it up enough, I think. As I spent my teenage years saying to young girls, either put out or get out.

It's pretty clear that you signed up here just for this post. If you're not going to give more information, let this thread die, please

Dude, relax.

If his concept works, it can be really great. And you have to understand that he won't want to reveal too much because someone else may take his idea and run with it before he copyrights it and has at least a small amount of legal protection to his rights as the creator.

And the truth is, sometimes the best ideas/solutions are insanely simple, are right in front of our noses, and yet we fail to notice them. So color me not skeptical.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 20, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman
Putting the question that way, between those two options, i'd prefer the wall mount.

I just use a floor stand precisely because my dad frowns upon drilling the walls (and it's not even a rented house, it's his own house).

Dude, relax.

If his concept works, it can be really great. And you have to understand that he won't want to reveal too much because someone else may take his idea and run with it before he copyrights it and has at least a small amount of legal protection to his rights as the creator.

And the truth is, sometimes the best ideas/solutions are insanely simple, are right in front of our noses, and yet we fail to notice them. So color me not skeptical.

Thank you.

As far as putting up or shutting up like that previous poster insisted, I guess a lot of people don't realize how market validation and minimum viable products work. Especially when bringing a new product to market. It takes time. But so far the response has been positive so it confirms what I thought going into this. I think Kickstarter would be a valid option here.
Quote by flexiblemile

Yes, I signed up here just for this post. That doesn't change a thing, though. It's a simple question about what people prefer when it comes to keeping their guitar nearby: on a wall vs on a flood stand. Sorry this thread is living in spite of you. It's not personal, I swear...
UPDATE TO LINK IMAGE: This would be the aesthetics I'm leaning towards. Keep in mind the form factor and utility is a completely different concept as is Fender's grip part. I prefer a swiveling, padded grip much like String Swing and most other companies use. But as for stability and sturdiness and finish, this is right on: black, powdercoated metal that does not bend once cured.

http://imgur.com/FdkmirY
I live in a house with plastered brick walls, something like this would be great if it works.
Quote by RiotActor
UPDATE TO LINK IMAGE: This would be the aesthetics I'm leaning towards. Keep in mind the form factor and utility is a completely different concept as is Fender's grip part. I prefer a swiveling, padded grip much like String Swing and most other companies use. But as for stability and sturdiness and finish, this is right on: black, powdercoated metal that does not bend once cured.

http://imgur.com/FdkmirY

You have something that looks like that, but does not go into the wall in any way?

I simply cannot visualize how that could possibly work, at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RiotActor

Wall mounts by far. They highlight the fact that guitars are a pieces of art.

...my god that sounded pretentious.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I prefer wall mounts if I can. I've got a couple of Hercules ones, but since I'm renting at the moment I'm not using them.

Put me down as another who's intrigued by this, but I really want to know how it actually works.
graaavviitttyyy
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
So you believe you have found a way to suspend >15lbs of pressure, on a wall or other vertical surface, off the ground, without this item actually being attached to the surface by any known form of adhesive, bolt, screw, or any other form of attachment which could potentially damage or mark standard wall paint and drywall? And it is secure enough, not only to stay up, but to not be dismounted by the placement and removal of weight, and also is easy enough to remove to carry with you?

That is absolutely ludicrous. Until working, physical proof is presented, I would not touch this idea with a 20' barge pole.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
At first I was thinking this was like a gravity bike rack (which is pretty much what King Turi was describing).

After seeing the picture, and hearing the descriptions, this is sounding more like a stand that uses the wall...

Until I see this trollware in action...
Page 1 of 3