I've seen a guitar advertised on a local version of craigs list/gumtree and i was hoping you could give me some group advice.

Link to the advert is here:

link removed - guitar was sold and taken down

what's the general consensus on the lp studio: gibson name with lp tone and flexibility at a great price or just a cut corners cheap guitar which you pay for the name on the headstock?

Secondly what do you think its worth? the price is in Swedish kronor and is roughly £500/$800. that a fair price for the age and condition as presented or should i do some haggling?

Cheers!

ps. of course i plan to play before buying, just want to go armed with some background info
Last edited by jecooper86 at Mar 20, 2014,
When I bought my LP Studio (the Worn Brown Satin model) I was shopping with a budget of £2k and spend weeks going round various shops trying to find an LP Standard that I liked. Nothing grabbed my attention.

Eventually one of the shops convinced me to try a Studio. Initially I couldn't understand why they were suggesting I try the cheapest Gibson they had in stock when none of their more expensive models satisfied me. As soon as I started playing it I fell in love instantly and bought it there & then.

Studios are not just cheap guitars which have had corners cut to keep the price down. They are the same guitar as the more expensive models, just without the flashy extras you can choose to pay more for.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The same woods and hardware as a LP Standard, simpler finishes, no binding, less attention to fret dressing. They are a good value for a working musician. Spend $60 with a guitar tech doing final setup and careful fret dressing and you are golden.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Get a Tokai or something else better made than a Gibson like that for the same money. Agile AL-3000 for instance
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Don't listen to The Judist, he just hates Gibson.

Go play it, if you like it, get it. Always haggle.
apparently its gone, oh well, the search continues.

Cheers for the replies! will get down to the local guitar shop and try some studios so i'm better prepared next time
Quote by jecooper86

what's the general consensus on the lp studio: gibson name with lp tone and flexibility at a great price or just a cut corners cheap guitar which you pay for the name on the headstock?

It's some of each. If you're primarily looking for the Gibson name, it's a cut corners less expensive guitar, and you ARE paying for the name on the headstock. Gibson's reputation is based on its more expensive guitars, and you really don't get to the Gibson level (IMHO) until you get to the Standard and above.

You can get LP tone, better quality and much *better* flexibility at a great price in the Japanese and Korean imports if you're shopping in the under-$1000 range. Gibson competes well in that $2400-4000 range; it's their sweet spot. Above that there are custom-made hand built guitars that are far better quality than Gibsons "R" series, and below that, Gibson's offerings are mediocre at best.

There's a comparison in the automotive world from a few years ago. Mercedes Benz developed a reputation in the US as a very well engineered luxury car brand. Elsewhere in the world, they sold a much wider range of cars including some low-end things and a lot of utility vehicles, including trucks. Their 190 series competed in price with the Honda Accord everywhere else, and the Honda was actually the better car. But Mercedes tarted it up with tack-ons to bring its new price to half again what the Accord cost and shipped it to the US. People here bought it based on the more expensive cars' reputations and to be seen in a Mercedes. They soon found out it was a bit of a junker, requiring a LOT of expensive dealer maintenance and repairs just to keep it on the road, while the Hondas, working on a reputation as an econobox type vehicle, offered much better quality and reliability at 2/3rds the price.

In the price range of that used Studio, you can actually custom order an Agile AL-series guitar (LP-ish). You can select neck depth, neck width, fretboard material (ebony is standard), inlay type (real MOP and Abalone are standard, but there are optional shapes and you CAN order it with no inlays at all), stainless frets, alternate scale lengths, 22 or 24 frets, a seven-string option, several kinds of pickups and more. One of the really useful options is neck-through construction (as opposed to standard set-neck). If you order that, you can get a contoured neck heel (ala the Gibson Axcess) and a tummy cut, and you have the choice of ordering a fully-solid guitar or one with the upper bout chambered. You can add a Floyd Trem and locking nut if you wish, and while multi-layer binding is standard, you can order guitars with other binding options (or no binding at all).

I already have a custom Agile from several years ago and I recently priced one "pimped out" (Floyd, neck-through, contoured neck heel, longer scale, 24 frets, stainless, etc.) and racked up an $1100 price tag plus case and shipping. By comparison, the only Gibson that came close was the Studio Shred for about $400 more (with gig bag, as I recall). It had a clunky neck heel, a 12" radius, no binding, 22 medium frets and the one I saw was badly finished and had uneven frets. Another $200 for a proper PLEK run to put it right.

If you're a firm believer in the "Only a Gibson Les Paul is a Les Paul" mantra, then of course you need that Gibson logo on the headstock. But in the lower price ranges, you can actually get a far better *guitar* from other sources.
The Studio isn't a "cut corners" guitar. It just doesn't have the extra corners you get on the Standard/Custom etc.

Yes, some of the price of a Studio is in the name, but if you put a different name on the Standard it would halve the cost as well.

You can get a great Studio just as easily as you can get a crap Standard. The important thing is to play the guitar you're going to buy and make sure it's the right one for you. Although that is especially true of Gibsons, it should also be the rule you apply to ALL guitar purchases....and you should always make sure you try out a wide range of guitars (not just Gibson and not just Les Paul) to make sure you're buying the right one.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
That price wasn't much of a bargain anyway, You can now buy the 2013 LPJs—renamed 'faded' Studios—for £450 or so, new. In fact lots of Gibsons from the last two years have dropped in price dramatically as the new 2014 models are on their way.

As far as Studios go, it depends on the year. Some Studio models have thinner bodies than the Standard, making them lighter and putting their tone more in line with a Flying V or SG. Others have had cheaper pots, in some years they have been made out of much cheaper wood and bodies comprising of five or more pieces of wood. So you have to take each one on its own merits, when you're buying a second hand one. You can't guess at what it will be like. Studios, Vintage Mahogany and Faded models are the most inconsistent Gibsons in terms of specification and quality.

Incidentally, this is also a trait shared with the Gibson Custom Shop instruments, which also wildly from guitar to guitar. Gibson Standards are consistent enough to buy blind, but with Gibson's most expensive and cheapest guitars, you need to play it for yourself first.

As for alternatives, the old Epiphone Elitist series were, for all intents and purposes, Gibson Standards and Customs but with poly finishes instead of nitro. Any ESP Eclipse is also comparable, and some of the ESP LTD signature and Deluxe range are almost equal in quality and usually surpass the Studio line in terms of features. Older Epiphones made in Korea could also compete, as they are not as good in terms of plain quality but they almost always have some unique features.
The general rule with any kind of guitar is that if it's made in Japan it will be as good as the American guitars but very slightly cheaper and if it's made in Korea it will not be quite as good but it will probably have a few unique features and be much cheaper.

However, as I said before, you can buy a new 2013 LPJ model for less than even the new Melody Maker, as shops want to clear their 2013 stock quickly to make room for the 2014 models. If you want a Gibson Les Paul and you're on a limited budget, get one of those.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by King Turi
Don't listen to The Judist, he just hates Gibson.

Woah woah woah. I wasn't raised in an anti-Gibson family nor attended a church with a reverend who spouted anti-Gibson hate speech.
I bought one a few years back and have since found it to be underwhelming. And I reckon there are better made guitars for the money, that's all.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Gibson les paul studio is a fine guitar, but i would check into Burny,greco and tokai also.
It's certainly possible to find a great Gibson in the lower range but you'll need to probably try a decent sized selection to try to find the "gem". This is often true of many inexpensive models, out of a number, some that turned out really well, some that didn't.
If you want a "Les Paul" then really it's Gibson, Epiphone or some of the better copies offshore (Burny Greco, Tokai)
If you want a "Les Paul like" the options are too large to list. A working level instrument from many LP like models can be relatively inexpensive. Set a budget that you're comfortable with and try as many different guitars in that range you can.
Moving on.....
I had a 96 studio, Ebony w/ ebony fretboard. Had it for 12 years until it was stolen, I absolutely loved it. Only change I ever made was adding a bone nut.
My Alpine White Les Paul Studio with an ebony fretboard may be the best guitar I own. Honestly, I like it better than my CSB Les Paul Standard, and I have a very nice one of those.

Some Studio models are of a higher caliber than others (i.e., some are all mahogany, etc.) Beyond that, the Studio was simply a Les Paul without the body binding, and with 490 pickups as opposed to Burstbucker pickups. Find one that looks and plays well, and I think you will be very happy with it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
My Alpine White Les Paul Studio with an ebony fretboard may be the best guitar I own. Honestly, I like it better than my CSB Les Paul Standard, and I have a very nice one of those.

Some Studio models are of a higher caliber than others (i.e., some are all mahogany, etc.) Beyond that, the Studio was simply a Les Paul without the body binding, and with 490 pickups as opposed to Burstbucker pickups. Find one that looks and plays well, and I think you will be very happy with it.

Actually, a lot of Studios come with Burstbuckers fitted. You have to check the specs of the model you're getting.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Woah, I thought this had died and I just found it today on the front page!

Thanks for all the thoughts, I can see there's definitely no clear answer, it's really a guitar by guitar basis.

I spent an hour or so in a shop yesterday playing all sorts of guitars and decided that personally, I won't be happy until I have a standard. As nice and accessible some of the other models are, the standard is just so classic, so beautiful and it represents so many of my favourite artists.

I'm not good enough to justify such an amazing instrument yet, but one day, once i feel I earned it, then it will be my reward