So guys, I'm wanting to try and sing, but I clam up and get awfully shy when I sing around other people, and it chokes my voice up.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks to use when performing in front of people to feel less self conscious about singing?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
It it's all the same, I prefer to perform sober
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Well I think first you have to ask yourself: Are YOU happy with the way you're singing when you're alone?

Record yourself singing and then make that judgement. Not everyone can sing well and that's ok but you need to work on it until you're content with the way it sounds.

After that, you really have to stop caring what people think. If closing your eyes while singing helps, then go for it (I used to totally do this and it helps!).

It's really just like public speaking (all performance is, really). You just have to let it out and fake confidence if you don't have any. You can't think about how these people are going to judge your singing, but rather think that you're out there to impress them with your awesome vocal skills. That just goes back to thinking you're good and being happy with the way you sound. If you think you sound good, then so shouldn't others?
Close your eyes. Just at first. Once you get into it and do it more, you won't worry about it so much.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals