I always hear the greats say they simply learn technique to be the bridge between what they hear in their head and the instrument, however I feel like my mind is always blank. I never really hear phrases or riff or songs in my head.. I just noodle usually with varied results. This applies to the idea of humming/singing your lines too.. There's nothing in there.

What's the deal with this? Am I not cut out to improvise well or is this an issue that is solved through listening to more music/getting inspired?

It's kind of depressing
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Well same here. I need a starting point and that starting point is noodling around for a while. Then I naturally start to hear continuations in my head and stuff. It is very rare that I come up with any melodies away from the keyboard, if ever.

I could not care less. As long as my method works, I will happily compose utilizing any instruments I have nearby.

Trying to compose without an instrument or away from your guitar or keyboard just because someone says "THAT IS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY. THAT IS WHAT [insert famous classical composer] DID!" is the most idiotic thing ever.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Mar 20, 2014,
Music isn't science, there is no standard method. Sometimes I troll and say there is, but it's just to rustle some jimmies. Just compose the way you want to, if that means noodling first then go ahead and do it that way. If in the end the music is good, what the hell does it matter?

Personally, though, I like to write away from instruments as I can more easily work with sound rather than going back to things i've played before. It's my method, it's no better or worse than any other one. Find what works for you and stick to it.
I have a different problem. The melodies in my head are always shifting so that whenever I wanna put my thoughts to music I can never capture the initial thought. Mostly this makes my attempts disjointed or directionless but sometimes it works magically and I create something that I could never have thought of initially. I guess you gotta noodle quite a bit to create something you like if you can't capture a thought or have none to begin with.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Last edited by Rust_in_Peace34 at Mar 20, 2014,
Quote by N_J_B_B

What's the deal with this? Am I not cut out to improvise well or is this an issue that is solved through listening to more music/getting inspired?

How good is your ear?
Quote by macashmack
Music isn't science, there is no standard method. Sometimes I troll and say there is, but it's just to rustle some jimmies.

seriously, though, i agree. do whatever works for you, it's the end result that matters.

sometimes i hear stuff in my head and sometimes i don't. though a lot of the time when i hear stuff in my head and think i've come up with something great i eventually realise i've just totally ripped off something i already know
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the responses guys. This post was mainly centred around improvisation (shoulda mentioned that...)

Quote by HotspurJr
How good is your ear?

I've got pretty decent ears. I can transcribe some quite difficult songs easily (Protest the Hero, Periphery...) and my intervals are pretty accurate too
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
LOL... To the OP let's be 100% real here music is highly recycled people borrow musical ideas from each other all the time and experiment to get different sounds. I can hear sounds in my head, and transfer them to my fret board just because I have a great ear from slowing down records and transcribing.

My main point is that those moments don't have to come to you all the time I think it's more important to take as many musical ideas as you can and just run with it turning it into a style these sounds didn't magically pop up into the artist head they got inspired by another persons music.

I can recall countless times where I could hear where a certain part of the song I recognized from another musicians song.
Last edited by Black_devils at Mar 22, 2014,
Do you improvise over boring backing tracks or with a full band? I always get ideas when improvising with a band, but over a backing track not so much. That's because the backing track doesn't change. It doesn't inspire you. Or it may inspire you for a while but then you run out of ideas. What's so great about playing with each other is that you never play anything exactly the same way. People in a band have some kind of a "musical connection" with each other. What I mean is that when somebody plays something, the other musicians in the band react to that. But if the music doesn't change at all - it's just one or two repeating chord progressions - it's no wonder you get no ideas. I think that kind of backing tracks are just for noodling around and practicing improvisation. I would say proper improvisation happens in a band.

You may also be too critical about what you play. Just start playing. Your solo may not be the best but you will get better if you just play. Let your sound inspire you. Let the "right" and "wrong" notes you hit inspire you. I think you'll learn to improvise just by improvising. Also listen to other people's solos and get ideas from them.

Good ear is of course important. But it won't write you solos if you don't hear anything. You'll only learn to imrpovise by improvising.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115