Seems like most players opt for a Ceramic Silver Bell instead of the Alnico - why is this?

Preference, obviously, but what are the key differences between them?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
I'm guessing the price difference plays a pretty big part, too

I haven't tried them. I think gumbi has one (maybe both), hopefully he'll see this thread.

Also you could try asking or doing a search on the gear page. it's a bit elitist and crazy into the boutique stuff (not everyone there, but there's definitely an element which is, and which is, IMO, enabled by the moderation style), but for more obscure stuff like weber speakers it's likely to have more information than a more general forum like UG.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gotcha, thank you sir
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
no problem
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bumping this hard right now.

How would the ceramic silver bell fare against the celestion heritage greenback?

I assume they would have more or less the same sound.
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
Bumping this hard right now.

How would the ceramic silver bell fare against the celestion heritage greenback?

I assume they would have more or less the same sound.

i have 100 watt versions of the Alnico Blue Dog and the Ceramic Silver Bell. i have also played a few other versions of the speaker.

i would only really recommend getting an alnico magnet if it is a low wattage version of the speaker, the ceramic and alnico sound pretty similar when operating a fraction of their rating. but if you are running the speaker near it's power handling rating then the speakers will sound quite different.

so imo, alnico speakers sound most characteristic when they are being run near the limits of their operation. like running a 30 watt amp with a 30 watt rated speaker. if you want a driven speaker tone then a low wattage speaker matched to your amp may be favorable.

else, if you want a more modern and predictable tone then a couple 100 watt rated speakers will sound pretty consistent and even throughout the range of operation.

a silver bell doesn't sound much like a G12M/H style speaker imo. the M get's outperformed in the clean ranges, the silver bell has a full and chimey sound you don't get in an M. the M sounds more compressed and woody, with some wild mid tones.

edit: and yes, many people get the ceramic versions because they are cheaper and more accessible from a pricing standpoint.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 2, 2015,
not too long ago i played a AC30 with a silver bell. sweet tone it sounded really good with the vox.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thank you for the input, guys.

So in conclusion, what will a ceramic 30w silver bell sound like?

I'm going to pair it with the alnico blue dog (15w) which I have owned before.

Going in a Top Hat King Royale 2x12.
Quote by NeverMeant
Compared to the blue dog: lots more bass, looser bass response, not nearly as loud, less pronounced mid and upper-midrange, less aggressive distortion. Less chime and more rounded/full sound.
I think I might just pair up the blue dog with a celestion heritage
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
Seems like most players opt for a Ceramic Silver Bell instead of the Alnico - why is this?

Preference, obviously, but what are the key differences between them?

Most sound differences, where speakers are concerned, come from the moving parts, not the magnets. The cone materials, the size of the voice coil, the surround stiffness, etc., all make the largest difference, while the magnet type (assuming the same level of flux) really doesn't make much impact.

There's a company called Fluxtone (google is your friend) that removes the magnets from well-known speakers and substitutes an actively variable electromagnet that allows you to change the efficiency of the magnet. With a Vintage 30, for example, you're still hearing all the characteristics of the V30 (including the differences between a new and a broken-in speaker), but the change in efficiency allows them to reduce the SPL by up to 25 dB (the equivalent of changing your 30W amp into a 1/8th watt).

If there are no other changes beyond the magnet type, you're unlikely to hear significant differences in the other speaker characteristics.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 6, 2015,
Quote by sloppyjoe109
I think I might just pair up the blue dog with a celestion heritage

I would not do that. The Heritage is way, way less efficient, you'll never even hear it. The blue dog overpowers the silver bell by a fair margin and the silver bell is a louder speaker than the Heritage.
So, if the blue overpowers the silver bell, but the silver bell is louder than the Heritage, what should I put in it?

I like the blue but would like some other speaker that will retain low end and I'm not fond of the idea of 2 blues either...
Quote by NeverMeant
Last edited by sloppyjoe109 at Jan 6, 2015,
Weber Legacy Series or Gray Wolf, Vintage 30, Eminence Red Fang, etc. Don't count out the 2xBlues though, it sounds boring on paper but really it's as good as any other combo out there.

The blue overpowers the silver bell but if you just want a bit more bass it's not a bad combo. I had a 2x12 with those two speakers in it for years and it sounded good, you mostly hear the blue but you "feel" the silver bell with the bigger low end. Heritage might not get you there being quieter than the silver.

On second thought, the G12H heritage might be ok. I've only had the M and it could not keep up alongside the blue, but the H has bigger bass and might give you a similar effect to the silver bell. I wouldn't expect any of those three to do much more than fill out the bass, though. You're mostly going to hear the blue.
I see, really great insight I appreciate it man.

When you had that blue + silver combination, were they both alnico?
Quote by NeverMeant