Hey everyone,

In advance, I apologize for this being such a long post, hopefully I am not violating any forum rules.

I'm looking to buy a guitar amp, and I have tried a bunch of different amps, but I'm having trouble deciding on one.
I'd prefer to buy at least the amp head or combo new(I'm alright with a used cab), but I'd be willing to buy used if the amp model has a great track record and if I'd likely not have to replace it. I have a bad record with buying anything else used, it usually doesn't go so well when I do. I'd like to spend $2000 (preferably less, I'm a college student and I need to try to save some of my money for when I graduate) on a head and cab or a combo, but I'll spend around $2500 if it's worth it. I really want something that's reliable, and doesn't require a whole lot of maintenance. I'll buy a road case for any head/combo that I get. I don't know anything about tubes or biasing amps, so Mesa amps interest me as to my understanding I wouldn't have to pay someone to do so every time I replace my tubes. The less long term expenses I acquire with my purchase, the better.

I play in a couple different bands, so versatility is important. My main focus is punk/pop punk, my favorite bands being A Day To Remember, Rise Against, Sum 41, Blink 182, and Four Year Strong. One of the bands I'm in plays everything from Indie, to Hardcore, to punk, to funk. I also occasionally dabble in country music in my spare time. Both of my bands are in the process of recording EP's, and are looking to tour sometime this year. In one band I am the only guitarist, but in the other I am one of three guitarists, so I need something that will cut through the mix, but that is also able to cut it as the only guitar voice.

My main guitar is a Gibson SG Classic with P90's, I've had people tell me it's a jazz/blues guitar but I love the sound I get out of it for any music I play. Whatever is recommended, I'll find a sound I like playing it through it.

I very much want an amp that I can practice with as well as play live. I know some people are going to say I should go solid state to get a decent sound at low, bedroom levels, but in my experience with amps I have tried, at least the Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII gets a great low volume sound. The Dual Rectifier I tried also got a decent low volume sound when I cranked up the fx loop volume (I think that's what it was) though I'm not sure if this is bad for tube life or anything like that.

All of the amps below were great in their own way, which is why I'm having trouble making a decision.
Amps that I haven't tried but want to: Mesa Roadster, Orange Thunderverb.

Amps I've tried:
Orange:Rockerverb 100 MKII through an Orange 2x12 and a Mesa 4x12 on two separate occasions, TH30 1x12 Combo, Tiny Terror combo, Orange 120h through 2 Orange 2x12's, Or 15 through two Marshall 1960b cabs.

Marshall: DSL 100h through a Marshall 4x12, DSL 40c, JDM-1 through a Crate 4x12, and a Marshall Super Lead, I don't know what year( through a Marshall 4x12)

Mesa: Dual Rectifier Solo Head through a Mesa 4x12,

Jet City: JCA 50H through a Line 6 4x12

Fender: Hot Rod Deville 212, Frontman 212, Fender Eric Clapton Twinolux

Blackstar: HT Club 50h Through a Blackstar 4x12

Tech 21: Trademark 60

Peavey: 6505 2x12 Combo

Vox: AC15

I'd like to hear any suggestions any of you may have!
Thanks!
Mesa. Find a nice used one for around $800 and rock on. Have an amp tech do an annual checkup to keep it in top shape if you worry about reliability. Done.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Up for the RM100.
Or a kemper PA if you like that kinda stuff...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Go used - the amount you'll save on the initial cost will mean you could afford to replace it a couple of times and still be quids in.

If all the amps you've tried were 'great in their own way', maybe that means 'none of them were perfect'? I'd want perfection for that much cash, and if I couldn't find it then I'd look to see how cheap I could get a good compromise for.

Maybe if you outlined a list of things you're looking for (prioritised in order of importance for you), people could fire some suggestions your way?
With your budget, you can get 2-3 nice amps, used. You're doing it right by auditioning them.

I had the Thunderverb 200 (TV200) and it's a very solid English-made amp. I love my RV100 MK II. The new Chinese TH30 and TH100 (these aren't Thunderverbs) are also nice except they're a bit overpriced new or used, an opinion. I expect they'll be better-priced, used, soon.

Check out the Mesa Road King, Roadster and Tremoverb, too. GC used always has a few available.

The Splawn QuickRod (EL34) and ProMod (KT88) should be on your must audition list, along with the Rivera KR7/KR100, Knucklehead Tre, K100, etc. Fender-type cleans to modern brootz.

The used H&K TriAmp MK II is my current "versatile" favorite and is within your budget, used.

The Soldano Avenger and HotRod 100+ are worth a try, too. The Peavey JSX is huge Bang for the $$$ at ~500, a steal!
Mesa Roadking or Roadster, Mark V, maybe check out Baron too if you want to go custom
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Good suggestions so far. I'll add an EVH 5150III to the list
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I'm thinking JSX or if you want to spend more of your budget, Mark V.

Or an RM100 of course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 20, 2014,
Used Mesa Roadster or used Mesa Mark IV or used Mesa Mark V.

For real.

Probably the Roadster though, for the heavy stuff. Marks don't really do traditionally modern heavy sounds.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well within your budget is a used Rivera Knucklehead, Mesa Dual Rec, or Peavey 3120 with a nice cab.
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
Last edited by TehGainiac at Mar 21, 2014,
Mesa Boogie Mark V. You were saying how you don't want an amp that breaks down a lot, Mesa Boogies are reliable as hell. I have had my Mark V for over 3 years and have never had any problems with it (knock on wood). Does a lot of things very well, and has the option to change between 10, 45, and 90 watts. Give it a look.
Quote by TehGainiac
Well within your budget is a used Rivera Knucklehead, Mesa Dual Rec, or Peavey 3120 with a nice cab.

I was actually just thinking, don't a lot of those bands listed use Knuckleheads?

I think I've heard that ADTR and Rise Against use them.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
I was actually just thinking, don't a lot of those bands listed use Knuckleheads?

I think I've heard that ADTR and Rise Against use them.

To be honest, I don't know. I just know that the Rivera Knucklehead gets a big thumbs up for versatility. Wonderful cleans, solid heaviness, not to mention decently priced (~$800-$1000 on the used market).
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
Mark V, Mesa Roadster, EVH5153 or JVM410H probably.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Thank you all for the suggestions! I went to a store today that has a lot of used mesa's, tried a used mesa roadster, a used mesa stiletto deuce, and a brand new mesa 50 single rectifier. To be honest they all sounded great, it's going to be a difficult decision but I'm going to pick one of them this week when I go back. The single rec is looking very appealing with the 5 year factory warranty, despite the fact that they discontinued them.
Congrats! We expect a NAD thread with pics, a review, and clips if you can
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Good choice.