Critting as I listen.

Wow, wasn't expecting that sound - really clear production and very pretty.

I like how lofi the verse is - its crying out for some vocals though, it has a huge amount of potential for some great singing.

The build to the chorus is great - I like songs that are very chilled but still have a groovy energy to them.

Again, the next build is great too, good use of dynamics. Watch the crash/reverse crash - try blending them a bit better.

Maybe build it back in to the chorus part the end? Build ups with no drops drive me crazy.

All the parts of this song are really pretty - if you could get some vocal parts and maybe another chorus-like section this song would be crazy good.

Did you make this in reason? It sounds like some of the stuff I try to make on it. Your production is sharp
Quote by benonbass1
Did you make this in reason? It sounds like some of the stuff I try to make on it. Your production is sharp
Thanks. This is all done in Ableton 9. I imported all the synths and effects from Ableton 8 Suite into it as well.

Quote by benonbass1
Your production is sharp

Thank you, I take a lot of pride in my production.
Last edited by herby190 at Mar 21, 2014,
Not a bad piece by any stretch, but it could use some work for sure.

The pros:

-I dig the general atmosphere. Early on in the track particularly, you really nail down an interesting crossbreed of some sort of lo-fi alternative rock styled electronica. Likes listening to The Postal Service at points. The spacy element comes across very naturally, and while strictly synthetic, feels very organic.
-The mix in the first half of the song is very solid. Drums are well placed in particular with the little snare/cymbal beat. It's relaxing.
-The melodies throughout are pretty catchy.
-I like the idea of blending the overdriven guitar with the synthetic elements. It's something I do often in my own music, and it heightens the music for me bringing it into the realm of post rock.

The cons:

-The overdriven guitar tone is a little lacking. Maybe it's the recording, but it could be the mix too. I'd like to see it compressed and hitting me full force like a wall of sound. I'd suggest playing the part a few times over and panning the tracks to make it sound more full. You also have to be careful as the synthetic parts sound a bit weak and "fake" when you introduce this live instrument.
-The outro segment just seems to go on a bit too much, and I'm saying this as someone likes drone music. I hear a vocal effect in there. If it is a voice singing a melody of sorts, raise it in the mix (volume wise) and add some more reverb to push it in the back a bit more. Consider cutting around 5,000htz with an EQ to put it in the background even more.
-The lack of vocals. This track is a solid foundation, but there isn't enough musically complex to keep me interested as an instrumental piece (outside of the first minute or so). With vocals, you could find the piece doing much better.

If you'd be inclined to return comment, I'm looking for feedback on the top 3 tracks on my SoundCloud page. I don't have a thread here, but if you'd like to listen and throw up some comments, that'd be rad.

https://soundcloud.com/thehorizonofadream
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
herby190,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your tune: interesting reverse cymbal intro (and other places). I like the bass synth, and the bell-like synth. Vocal-like synth is bizarre. Cool song, I like it! I like all of the synths.
Quote by Ulalume
-The overdriven guitar tone is a little lacking. Maybe it's the recording, but it could be the mix too. I'd like to see it compressed and hitting me full force like a wall of sound. I'd suggest playing the part a few times over and panning the tracks to make it sound more full. You also have to be careful as the synthetic parts sound a bit weak and "fake" when you introduce this live instrument.

Honestly, the "guitar" (it was actually an electric piano-like synth being run through a guitar amp sim, but I'm going to continue calling it a guitar because it sounds like one and that's easier) part during the climax was just thrown in as another instrument to make it sound a little fuller, but I liked the wall of sounds idea, so I threw in some more "guitars" (other synths with with other amp sims and effects), and I think it made it stronger. Thanks for the idea, I updated the copy on Soundcloud.
Thanks for the crit man, useful tips that I'll work on! Here's yours:

Liking the synth effect, got a retroey feel in places but it all works well.

The kick in at 1:29 is a good change although the drums could do with more oomph I guess? A hard kick on the first beat of every bar could help.

2:00 - 2:30 has a cool ambient feel, I like it.

You cut the track off a good point, doesn't seem to repetitive at this stage and there's enough going on to keep it interesting. Good stuff.
Top notch man, to me it sounds like a blend of the music from Mass Effect & Starbound mixed with Still Alive, the theme from Mirrors Edge.

Really liking this though!
Intro is nice, very theme-matic ( I think I made that word up)
Good melody working throughout and good use of moods and feels.
Feel some parts get lost in the huge sound boost during the build up.
Around 2:25 there's an effect or synth you're using and it reminded me of an old commodore game.

Overall solid stuffs.
Really reminds me of like 80s ballad music you'd hear in a teen movie.
The percussion could use some work, maybe spruce things up with some tom rolls. I'd love to hear a better mix on them as well.

The bass also seems to be lacking from my set-up. I'd try boosting the subs on it to give it a bit more of a rumble.

Here is a good example, https://soundcloud.com/zachanvey/zouse
It would really help make the song a bit more driving and "dancey"

Overall it's well composed, throw some moody vocals and you'd have a track similar to whats on the radio these days.

Also, if you'd like me to elaborate in more detail: let me know.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Oh man I really loved this one! The "voice" in the background doing that humming sound was gorgeous, very ear pleasing. I really like how this one stats low and really opens up as it progresses. Once again good job man, I'm really impressed with your work and especially the production value.
Liking it! The mix prior to about 1.12 where it drops off for a bit is very solid; I do think that after 1.28 when it kicks into the new part there should be some hard-hitting bass drum to compliment the light snare, but that's just personal preference. But the synth sounds you've got going on are really nice and floaty, there's a nice vibe to the track. Also, the crash at like 3.04 delays a bit too long for my liking, but again, that's just me. Overall it's a good track.

Would mean a lot if you checked out my stuff here, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1644695 , thanks a lot!
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
The hi-hat beat playing in the intro part is nice. Like the melody as well. I can imagine the middle part as a background music to a calm, quiet drive. The atmosphere and production are top notch!
I added some more layers, mainly to the climax to get a bigger sound; updated copy in the OP.