Hey all,

Not sure if this is a tube problem but my Blues Jr has been acting up lately.
I purchased it 3 months ago brand new, no mods.

Last night, the familiar "pop" you hear when unplugging your guitar from your tube amp wasnt present, I thought that was strange. Also at very random times I was getting volume drops and bad tone.

Could this be the tubes?

I read that the BJr has fixed bias, so does that mean I can purchase some EL84's and put them in?
I can't confirm if those are busted tubes, though that is possible. I do know that you should either turn off the volume or power before plugging or unplugging the guitar cable. I can't recall if the FBJ has a standby switch.
Quote by royc
I can't confirm if those are busted tubes, though that is possible. I do know that you should either turn off the volume or power before plugging or unplugging the guitar cable. I can't recall if the FBJ has a standby switch.

It doesnt have a standby switch
Sounds like tubes. Some clever music stores offer free tube testing so check around. If not in your area, unplug the tubes carefully, paying attention to what goes where, and spray the pins with contact cleaner. Let dry completely and re-insert firmly into the correct tube sockets. Sometimes it's just gunk on the pins causing poor contact. If that won't fix it, try a fresh set of JJ tubes. Not much to go wrong with those amps but once in a while you will find a more serious problem.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
also check your guitar cable. and shake the cable where it inputs into the guitar, see if there's change in volumes when you manipulate the cable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
also check your guitar cable. and shake the cable where it inputs into the guitar, see if there's change in volumes when you manipulate the cable.

Right! Try a different cable or guitar. I once asked a tech to check my amp, but it turned out my problem was the guitar.
Those do sound like issues that could be caused by tubes. You won't know until you try, but having spares is a good practice anyway. You can just buy a matched pair of EL84s and plug them in... I recommend JJs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yup, plug and play. Save the old ones as spares, chances are good all but one are fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I've had mine in for three years...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!