So I've got a mini home recording studio, for guitars I only use my USB interface and I'm happy with the results, but I was also considering buying a microphone for recording my acoustic guitar, vocals and (possibly) mic'ing my amp.

Thing is, my amp is a Line 6 spider IV, and I was just wondering whether I would get better results by mic'ing the amp or sticking with the interface. Don't get me wrong, so far I'm completely satisfied with it and happy with the results, but if there's a better option out there why not consider it right?

So, my question is, which in your opinion would get me better results; buying a mic to record my amp, or sticking with the interface, plug-ins etc?

And also, which mic should I get? My budget is anywhere up to around £70-£80, but I guess I could stretch it a little if the value for money of the product was really great.

If I was to record just vocals and acoustic guitar, I was thinking of getting the 'MXL – MXL 990 Large Diaphragm Condenser', and if I was to mic my amp too, the classic Shure SM58 looks like the best option.

Which mic should I get? and should I stick with direct recording?

Any and all help appreciated
You will get the best results by buying a new amp.

If all you have is the spider, stick with the plugins.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ok, I see, thanks.
Thing is I don't have enough to splash out on a new amp right now anyway, but I still want to buy a mic for recording acoustic guitar and vocals. What mic would you recommend for this?
Guitars and vocals require different mics. To get the best out of your mics use Shure 58's for vocals and 57's for amps and acoustics. If you want to do guitar and amp micing you'll want to use more than one mic. I'm a huge fan of the Electrovoice RE20 for all studio purposes, in case anyone was wondering.
Israel is a terrorist state.
The SM57 and SM58 are essentially the same mic. The 57 is certainly a good suggestion for mic'ing an amp when recording. The SM58 is more for live vocals, but isn't best for recording them. It's an excellent investment if you're ever going to be in a band though, and also does a decent job of mic'ing an amp for recording.

For recording vocals and acoustics, you really need a condenser mic which will require phantom power. Do you know if your interface does this? What interface is it?

As you have a pretty small budget, I'd probably recommend getting an LDC (I'll let some of the other guys give specific recommendations). You won't afford two separate mics with that amount.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah I got phantom power on my interface, its a focusrite scarlett 2i4. What do you think is the best mic option for recording acoustic guitar and vocals within my budget?
My opinion: Se X1. Great for drums (room), acoustic guitar, amplified guitars, vocals (if its proper/normal singing). And i know for a fact it sounds really nice paired with the scarlett preamps.
Quote by kahleesi
My opinion: Se X1. Great for drums (room), acoustic guitar, amplified guitars, vocals (if its proper/normal singing). And i know for a fact it sounds really nice paired with the scarlett preamps.

Seems like a really good mic, a little bit out of my budget though. Could get a used one though.
And what do you mean 'proper/normal singing'?
He probably means clean singing as opposed to harsh vocals/screaming techniques. I like the Behringer B2 Pro personally (If you want it a little cheaper you could try the B1, I believe it's quite similar).
Thanks for the input everyone.

It seems like the Se x1 is the best option for me right now, within my budget and seems to have consistently the best reviews. If anyone thinks they may have a better mic within my price range then let me know.