Poll Options
View poll results: ...
...is awesome!
70 52%
...is lame!
12 9%
...is something I would never do.
20 15%
...is not as cool as guitar behind your head.
32 24%
Voters: 134.
Page 1 of 3
What's your opinion? I'm talking about Tom Morello style, or Simon Neil.

I think it looks kinda nerdy, but on the other hand, it's much more practical, especially if you're singing as well and doing crazy guitar shit on it. However, having it around or below your waist does still have that awesome appeal.

What does the Pit think?

Last edited by Philip_pepper at Mar 20, 2014,
Gotta Morello style it. The position of your guitar couldn't matter less for looks, just rock the **** out.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Having it below your waist seems trashy to me, I dislike seeing people compromise playing comfort just to look more swag. That of course applies only to those, who do so. Some people might actually feel more comfortable with having it dick height.
That said, I normally sit anyway when playing, but if standing, it's about that high so my elbow is below/ ~ same height as the fretboard. How do you wear it, pp?
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Guodlca
Having it below your waist seems trashy to me, I dislike seeing people compromise playing comfort just to look more swag. That of course applies only to those, who do so. Some people might actually feel more comfortable with having it dick height.
That said, I normally sit anyway when playing, but if standing, it's about that high so my elbow is below/ ~ same height as the fretboard. How do you wear it, pp?

I've not played Electric with a strap on in 5 years. Been very busy with the acoustic, which I play real close to my chest, so I think next time I'll Morello it.
I've seen many mothafckas having the guitar high above waist and still lookin cool as hell and playin like the devil.

You can move your body around better doing crazy shit and also maximize your finger spread.
I keep the backplate (strat style) just above my genitals
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Was only cool when Buddy Holly did it.

Quote by Todd Hart
So 'crunk and 'gandhi are already pussy-whipped, impressive.

Quote by Burgery
you just think they're being mean to you because you have fragile girl feelings
Not above my waist. Not below either.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
My guitars are usually about belt high. I don't play many leads, though. The exception is when I play my strat. It sits a little higher.
My basses are another story. I play bass fingerstyle, usually. My right arm is nearly straight when standing, so it sits pretty low.
You should play where it's comfortable and not worry so much about how it looks.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I have it right above my waist

Don't you mean turntable?
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by Dwight.Schrute

Don't you mean turntable?

they weren't supposed to know that
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Mine is similar to the first picture
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I keep mine above my waist. It's just never been comfortable to me to have it hang so low.

I'm not used to things hanging low.

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
There is absolutely no way a person will be able to play as well with the guitar that low compared to having it above the waist. I don't care about your personal experience, your anecdotes, or anything. If you wear the guitar that low you are a bitch and you play like shit. This post is an absolute truth. There is nothing you can say that will change my (or anyone else's who actually knows what they're doing) mind.
Normally right around my waist, my old teacher showed me how to position it while sitting so it's the same height whether I'm sitting or standing.
Wherever comfortable. It's all good.

The worry should be if your music is good and the crowd likes it.

**** the 3 year old insecurity thoughts about your strap length.
I wear mine up to my neck.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Wearing it down low makes it incredibly difficult to play.

I have the strap short enough so the guitar is at least as high as it would be when playing sitting down.

I used to wear it down low but I as I am no longer 16 anymore I realized that I'd rather have easier playability than look cool.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
It looks silly to have it above your waist and it looks silly to have it below and it's hard and uncomfortable to play either way.

I keep mine dead on my waist.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Deliriumbassist
People who hang low are barely people, and have approximately zero interest in playing properly.

this basically.

its gimmicky and a style, the bands usually sound like crap and write boring music.

who gives a shit how it looks like? if you're playing live you're supposed to play the music as good as possible. if that will have having your guitar in your mouth or sitting down. so be it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I usually adjust my strap depending on how difficult the song I'm playing is. Having it that high up does look a little weird. I have my guitar set just a little bit lower than my waist.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I prefer playing at the waist. Above is only when I'm playing something that requires a little more concentration or if I'm playing/singing. Below is only when I'm playing something ridiculously easy or joking about generic metalcore bands.
Quote by eGraham
I keep mine above my waist. It's just never been comfortable to me to have it hang so low.

I'm not used to things hanging low.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
its gimmicky and a style, the bands usually sound like crap and write boring music.

who gives a shit how it looks like? if you're playing live you're supposed to play the music as good as possible. if that will have having your guitar in your mouth or sitting down. so be it.
whoaaaaaaaa there pickle. huge generalisation. 'the bands usually sound like crap and write boring music' is just a dumb thing to say.. it's like saying bands where the guitarist plays gibson instead of fender usually sound like crap and write boring music.

if you're playing live you're supposed to be playing entertainingly. not everybody finds extremely technical guitar wankery entertaining or interesting musically. for those that do, height works. for those that don't, it doesn't matter if they can hit a few less sixteenth notes here and there.
Quote by kthxbi

whoaaaaaaaa there pickle. huge generalisation. 'the bands usually sound like crap and write boring music' is just a dumb thing to say.. it's like saying bands where the guitarist plays gibson instead of fender usually sound like crap and write boring music.

that statement is also true. for the most part

And when playing live you're supposed to be entertaining yes. But I don't find a band looking dumb/wearing their guitar down their knees entertaining because it's energetic or "fasciniating" to look at.

I find a band playing their material excellent entertaining.

Wear the guitar at the approriate height/position for you to play your stuff great. After that you can do whatever the **** you want on stage really. But if wearing the guitar down your knees is prio before playing then you're a waste of space and shouldn't play live.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Mar 21, 2014,
I pick pretty much right where my dick is, so I wear it a little lower.

I don't really do anything too technical though, you should wear it where ever you play best/is most comfortable.
Quote by soundgarden1986
i keep it this length

yep. this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
My guitar is at the same level as if I was sitting down and playing. I dont understand how anyone would do differently.
Page 1 of 3