I'm playing my first small gig at the tender age of 54 in a week or so and will be using the main band's amp but I'm hoping to play a few on my own but at the moment only have a practise amp.

I'm looking to buy a reasonable price amp to play in pubs and small venues. The other factor is I don't drive so size and portability is very important as I'll be using public transport.

I've been looking at this and wonder if this would fit the bill ... would it be loud enough?

http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid22986/cid691/vox-ac4-c1-4w-tube-combo-in-special-edition-blue.asp?LGWCODE=22986;56375;2717&utm_source=googlebase&utm_term=AC4C1BL&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CL_4uL3-ob0CFQKWtAod8jYAaQ

It's just me solo .. some of my stuff here to give you an idea

https://soundcloud.com/exit-the-beehive

thanks

Charlie
The AC4 isn't enough to cope with gigging. You'll need at least an AC15, possibly an AC30 if you need really clean cleans at gig level.

If that's the sort of sound you're looking at, the Laney VC30 and Peavey Classic 30 are also well worth a look.

Unfortunately, you're probably going to struggle to find anything small & portable enough to easily manage on public transport if you need something powerful enough for gigging. I presume someone else in the band drives? Get something good and get them to give you a lift - if they want you in the band, they'll be prepared to help out for a contribution to the fuel costs.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just me in the band lol .. might be able to blag the odd lift but largely will be bus and train .. was hoping with no bass drums etc to compete against, this would be enough ... the only other one which isn't too big and someone recommended is the Roland Cube though this looks even more portable
I sold my 15 watt tube amp coz I'm old and it hurts my back to lift it. Get a 5 watter and ask the tech to mic it in your gigs. The ac4 is fine if you ask me.

During my younger days, I saw a guitarist bring a very small amp on stage, and I was surprised to hear it loud. I didn't know about sound reinforcement then, but I'm sure now that it was mic'd.
Last edited by royc at Mar 20, 2014,
from a review

"I've played bars, outdoor restaurants, hotels, and small clubs with bands without micing it."

Sounds like it might do the job for what I want .. if you listen to my stuff (link above) I think you'll agree I'm not likely to be playing anywhere very big lol
How bout one of those lil (very loud) ZT Club amps? Seems that may be perfect for you. Or, if you're playing in places with a pa, a multifx with amp modeling would be pretty easy to carry around.

You could also get a wagon! If I saw an older gentleman walking down the street pulling an old Marshall combo In a wagon it would make my day and I would assume the guy was the coolest mf'er on the planet!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by thinraft
from a review

"I've played bars, outdoor restaurants, hotels, and small clubs with bands without micing it."

Sounds like it might do the job for what I want .. if you listen to my stuff (link above) I think you'll agree I'm not likely to be playing anywhere very big lol

Is that a review of the AC4? You should note that small watt amps cannot play clean at loud volumes. They have to be micd for cleans.
Get a Pod HD500 and go straight into the desk?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lucky1978
How bout one of those lil (very loud) ZT Club amps? Seems that may be perfect for you. Or, if you're playing in places with a pa, a multifx with amp modeling would be pretty easy to carry around.

Crate also makes very loud and very portable solid state amps for gigging and busking.

The multifx unit is a good idea if you play venues with PA systems. When I lived in Manhattan I saw a hundred players carrying an FX unit for every one player carrying an amp. Even the players with cars and money didn’t own amps, they just bought expensive rack preamps and carried them in lightweight hard cases.
Pretty rare not to have one spare channel on the PA you can use. Even if there isn't a house PA you're gonna need to supply one. You can't do a gig without some form of PA, well, not if there is a vocalist.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks All ....

I think I'll see if I can find a local UK shop that sells the vox and have a look. I saw Dylan Carlson in a pub using a fender bassman which was micd up and that was pretty loud and would love one but too expensive. I think, as you say that most pubs and regular music venues will be able to mic it up anyway and other types of venues that I'd like to play .. eg coffee bars, it would probably be loud enough as it is.

Certainly gets some nice write ups though a few do suggest upgrading the valves so that's something I could look at. At the end of the day, it seems to be good quality and isn't expensive so if it proves not to be up to what I need it isn't a massive investment and would suffice as a back up amp if I need to upgrade at some point.
I have this exact amp, and I LOVE it. It's my first tube amp. I play through it with PRS McCarty, and can get so much crunch and stuff. Or cleaner classic rock tones. I wanted the all-tube warmth/tone, but I have small kids and a small house. I have to keep this amp turned down to, like 1.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. If I go to 2 or 3, it is really loud for me in the same room, like a person shouting. I have not cranked it, but I feel pretty sure this would do fine for gigging in a small venue, like a 100 person capacity or smaller cocktail lounge, pub, bar, coffee house, etc. I would not trust it for any kind of theatre auditorium or large club, beer garden, etc.

I looked at used all-tube amps for a long time thinking I'd save money finding something adequate, and no decent all-tube amps ever came down to this price range $300 (and you can find them for $250). So the funny thing is this brand new tube amp, that is sharp looking and versatile, was also the cheapest I could find. Can't complain about that.

I did read some people mod this amp right away (forget whether it is a larger cab, speaker or switching out tubes, but you can google and find what I am talking about), and from what I recall, those were simple ways to kick it up a notch further, but I have not felt the need for that for my own playing.

Now, I am not at home, so I cannot look at it, but it's my recollection is does NOT have any line out. So you cannot use it as am amp head, route it to a larger speaker/amp, or to an interface or anything. That is maybe one thing I would have liked. For a couple hundred more, you can find maybe a 15 watt used tube amp that has line out, etc.

One thought...when I was researching about getting a small 'bedroom' tube amp, a lot of people were saying that getting a 15 watt or 50 watt or whatever tube amp is wasted because it would have to be SO low to not be too loud, that you will not really engage the tubes to get the warmth or whatever. Like if I have to keep this 4 watt amp at 1.5, I guess I'd have to keep 1 15 watt tube amp at 0.5, and a 50 watt tube amp at 0.1, at which point is it even on? Can it really work well dialed in so low? Can you even dial it in so low? I don't know the physics or whatever to know if that's true. But my thinking was that a really small tube amp, like 4 to 5 watts, would not have this issue, or not have it as bad. And the fact is, I feel I'm getting good tube tones dialed in at 1.5 without blowing away the family.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Thanks ... that's pretty much what I wanted to hear ... Also had a good chat with a guy in a music shop who had used one and he reckoned it would be ideal for what I wanted so I'm going to order one .. apparently they don't make them now so will grab one in the next day or so .... I believe that you can hook them up to bigger speakers too though I won't be worrying about that for a while

thanks