What do you do when your housemate owes you bill money and blocks you on facebook?

Page 1 of 2
Basically there's a group of 5 of us guys. I'm responsible for the bills. One dude has decided he doesn't like us any more, so he's blocked the other 4 of us on Facebook and has gone to live with his girlfriend.. It's not my responsibility if he doesn't pay rent since it's paid directly the landlady but he is obliged to pay us the bills as splitting between 4 instead of 5 isn't possible and until the contract ends he should pay them?

What should I do? Can I get the landlady or the university involved if he doesn't contact us? He can definitely ignore any texts or calls I send him.

Should I just find him and break this legs.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by captaincrunk
try calling his girlfriend, she'll sort him out for you if she's a decent person

She's blocked one of us on instagram so probably not....

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Start selling his stuff.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by angusfan16
Is his name on the lease? Or any kind of similar document?

His name is on the contract which is valid until September this year (when I move out)

If you have proof he owes you money, you could always call the cops. Sounds like he's already burned that bridge himself, so no harm.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by EndTheRapture51

she doesn't want that guy seeing her instagram cleavage or something, just call her and explain what's up and how contracts work. if they ignore you further the landlady can **** up their credit for life so that's always an option
Quote by EndTheRapture51

There is your problem.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by necrosis1193
If you have proof he owes you money, you could always call the cops. Sounds like he's already burned that bridge himself, so no harm.

I'll probably go to the University first if he doesn't pay. We all feel a little betrayed because we were nothing but friendly to him apart from a brief washing up/fat on the floor debacle.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
His name is on the contract which is valid until September this year (when I move out)

Well you've got him by the balls then. If he doesn't pay, take legal action
Sail upon the open skies
find out where him and his girlfriend live. watch the place for a while until they leave. then, break in and leave a few dead cats lying around.

thats what I always do, works every time.

and before everyone gets all PETA on me, just find the dead cats on the side of the road. you don't have to kill them yourself
banned
Quote by angusfan16
Well you've got him by the balls then. If he doesn't pay, take legal action

Is the paying of bills a contract dispute though? The paying of rent to the landlady is heavily contracted with the inventory and late payments and stuff like that etc. but the bills are our responsibility and we haven't written up any sort of contract between the 5 of us (as we were all friends) so all we have is the contract with the landlady? Would that hold up if we threatened legal action?

what bills? if you're talking electricity and stuff, there's a good chance he doesn't actually have to pay, seeing as he doesn't actually live there...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Is the paying of bills a contract dispute though? The paying of rent to the landlady is heavily contracted with the inventory and late payments and stuff like that etc. but the bills are our responsibility and we haven't written up any sort of contract between the 5 of us (as we were all friends) so all we have is the contract with the landlady? Would that hold up if we threatened legal action?

you guys can't handle 1/5th of the electric/cable/water etc? if he follows the contract he'd be paying rent without living there, what more do you want from the guy...
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I'm assuming in her contract there's something written that states you have to pay x amount a month, or something similar to those lines right? If so, and if his name is there agreeing to pay, then yes you can take legal action if he refuses.

Now if he's just a resident and his name isn't on any sort of documentation then yeah, you're ****ed.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Mar 20, 2014,
I had a similar situation, a housemate left without telling us and then, as the bills were in his name, he cancelled the account also without telling us.

His parents kept paying rent so there was no issue there, but we wanted him to contribute towards gas and electricity, regardless of the fact that he wasn't using them. This was because the remaining 3 of us had signed a contract for 4 people to be paying bills, not 3. Also he was a c*nt so there's that.

Anyway, we tried and failed to make him pay as he had no legal obligation to do so, so I assume it's the same for you. As long as he's paying rent, nothing can be done. Publicly embarrassing him is an option though.
Quote by captaincrunk
you guys can't handle 1/5th of the electric/cable/water etc? if he follows the contract he'd be paying rent without living there, what more do you want from the guy...

unless they're leftover bills, i agree. why should he pay for cable and electricity when he isn't using any of it? it's not like electricity is a flat rate anyway....
If he's never there then he isn't even using any of the utilities? Why should he have to pay those? Maybe A/C if his bedroom is big enough. But really that's it.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by caeser1156
If he's never there then he isn't even using any of the utilities? Why should he have to pay those? Maybe A/C if his bedroom is big enough. But really that's it.

not even AC given that they can now use his room since he isn't there anymore
So the guy is paying what he is legally bound to pay for what was once his share of the rent, but you also want him to pay 1/5 of the utilities? Utilities bills go up depending on how much you use them, he shouldn't pay for your guys' electricity, if I'm getting this right.
Quote by macashmack
So the guy is paying what he is legally bound to pay for what was once his share of the rent, but you also want him to pay 1/5 of the utilities? Utilities bills go up depending on how much you use them, he shouldn't pay for your guys' electricity, if I'm getting this right.

it's worth noting that it isn't always the case, sometimes the utility companies estimate usage and charge the same every week
Ohhhh we're just talking about utilities. I thought the dude wasn't forking over rent.

Yeah if the dudes not there, no sense in charging him for utilities. Just make sure his ass covers his portion of rent.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by progdude93
what bills? if you're talking electricity and stuff, there's a good chance he doesn't actually have to pay, seeing as he doesn't actually live there...

yea...why would you think he needs to pay that? and if it's cable or something that's a flat rate, tough luck i guess.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
What should you do?

Nothing let the ****ing landlady sort it.

oh sorry i misread, he's not living there so you can't honestly expect him to pay your bills for you
Last edited by So-Cal at Mar 20, 2014,
Quote by captaincrunk
it's worth noting that it isn't always the case, sometimes the utility companies estimate usage and charge the same every week

Oh. Well in this situation that doesn't matter much though because the guy's not using them whether they're flat rate or progressive

TS I don't think he owes you tbh
Quote by captaincrunk

i've never heard of this. ive heard of them GIVING estimates when people are curious about their bill, but not anything like that

granted, my experience is somewhat limited, but still.
Quote by progdude93
unless they're leftover bills, i agree. why should he pay for cable and electricity when he isn't using any of it? it's not like electricity is a flat rate anyway....

Well us guys have bugeted for the year paying 1/5th of gas, electricity and water bills and that was the agreement. If someone goes home for a week or two doesn't mean they shirk their responsibility for paying bills just cos they are away.

There's 6 months left on the contract and if he doesn't pay then we pick up his burden for 6 months because he has decided not to live here.

Last year with a different group of housemates someone moved out for about 8 months but still paid their share of the bills.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Well us guys have bugeted for the year paying 1/5th of gas, electricity and water bills and that was the agreement. If someone goes home for a week or two doesn't mean they shirk their responsibility for paying bills just cos they are away.

There's 6 months left on the contract and if he doesn't pay then we pick up his burden for 6 months because he has decided not to live here.

Last year with a different group of housemates someone moved out for about 8 months but still paid their share of the bills.

You might be able to claim it was a verbal contract or something, I don't really know anything about the law so don't take my advice.
Quote by captaincrunk

Water and internet is flat rate, gas and electricity are estimated based on meter usage in the first 2 months.

Unless he sublets his room to someone else we all think he should contribute.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

I agree with this but from my experience they don't actually have to pay if they aren't using. It's a pain in the ass because in your case, one guy out of 5 moving out doesn't reduce the utility bills by 1/5th.
change the locks?
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Water and internet is flat rate, gas and electricity are estimated based on meter usage in the first 2 months.

Unless he signed a contract saying he would pay the bills in the event that he moved out then you're just gonna have to suck it up. Welcome to life kiddo.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

going home for a week or two is different. the reason you decide to split utilities even if some people use more electricity than others is because you all live there, and there's no point in overzealously dividing up the bill per person (if that's even possible). you all live there, you split utilities. you want to go home for a week? your problem. you don't get the readjust the bill because you used slightly LESS than someone else.

but he's not using ANYTHING. this isn't a case where he's arguing his bill should be lower because he wasn't there for a few days, this is a case where he shouldn't pay anything, because the total electricity bill is based on usage, and he's not using ANYTHING.

you can say, "oh well we agreed to split it even if someone used more than someone else." but really, you agreed to share the bill because you were all using it and you don't need to be penny Nazis.

you have an overblown sense of entitlement (in this case, not saying you're an entitled shit in life) and you should let this go.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

if you call the gas company, you should be able to get an adjustment on the estimation. and if they refuse, then all you need to do is cancel your account and open a new one. then they're obligated to re-evaluate it.

and of course you all think he should contribute.. you're the ones who would be getting money out of it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

if an agreement to contract exists, a verbal one is still okay though im not sure where you would take it

how much are you bills currently? if you're sharing between 4, it can't be that bad
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Mar 20, 2014,
Page 1 of 2