I have been looking at the Yamaha fg720s, the Taylor big baby, and the seagull s6.

I have heard a lot of good things about the yamaha and the seagull but my only complaint about the S6 and I can't really complain because I haven't tried it is the nut width I don't have big hands I guess they are average or just under average I don't know.

And also I'm kind of a traditionalist so I don't know about the whole cedar top and cherry back and sides. How much does that change the sound from the traditional source and mahogany?
having had 2 of the 3 choices. i loved the nice warm sound of the S6(i had the slim with 1 11/16" nut). it differed a lot from standard spruce. the spruce is more pronounced with a lot more clarity on the Yammie. S6 was a better strummer but decent at fingerstyle and the yammie was just the opposite. i'm not a fan of the big baby...not a bad guitar but it definitely plays second fiddle to it's younger sibling the GS mini. the mini just does everything well. for it's size, it just pushes tons of volume. you can get it with a warm sounding mohogany top, crystal clear sounding spruce but if you want the best of both... check out the Holden Village website. Taylor made a special Engelmann spruce top GS mini for them. you wont find it in stores or ever see it advertised. it has to be ordered thru HV or you can call Jonathon in customer service at Taylor. it takes about a week to ship. they are $50 more than the standard mini plus $22.52 shipping. the Engelmann is the best of both worlds. you won't believe the warmth,clarity and massive volume it pushes for a parlor guitar. plus you have the added knowledge that you are doing something good as the proceeds benefit a special reclamation project. you can read up on it on HV's website.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
i prefer the S6 original with the cedar top - just amazing tone. i have small hands - i'm a 5'3" woman - and i prefer the wider, thicker original S6 neck, but if you don't care for wider, get the S6 slim (as referenced by stepchildusmc) and there ya go. btw, i'm pretty traditional in my preferences, and i was very happy with my S6.

i, too, am not a huge fan of the big baby. if going taylor, the GS mini is definitely a nicer guitar, not only tonally but the shorter scale is mighty comfy, too.

Diablo52, do you already play the guitar? if so, what have you been playing or what did you play in the past?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Diablo52
....[ ]...I have heard a lot of good things about the yamaha and the seagull but my only complaint about the S6 and I can't really complain because I haven't tried it is the nut width I don't have big hands I guess they are average or just under average I don't know.
Average male hands can generally reach an octave on a standard piano keyboard.

I play the 12 string quite often, (1 7/8" nut), and sometimes I'm a bit clumsy going back to the standard 6 string, with its 1 11/16" neck width. Just saying, it partly dependent on what you're used to, not just hand size. Finger style players often opt for the wider necks.

Quote by Diablo52
And also I'm kind of a traditionalist so I don't know about the whole cedar top and cherry back and sides. How much does that change the sound from the traditional source and mahogany?
Cedar is more mellow than spruce, and is, "more easily excitable", in that it will produce a bit more volume from the same amount of attack. Legend has it that cedar will overdrive before spruce, and may not be the best choice for a heavy handed strumming kind of guy.

DISCLAIMER: You're always welcome to get 2nd and 3rd opinions on anything I say.
+1 for Seagull. After 12 years I still get compliments on it everywhere I go and I gig acoustic twice a month. I am a fairly fierce player with large hands but I don't find myself overpowering the guitar. My old 70s Yamaha FG 180 is still a player but I prefer both the neck and tone of the Seagull.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have not played in a good while and am now just starting back to playing I've only played on ibanez acoustics and my fender start when I did play buy I don't have those anymore so I am looking for new guitar. I liked the way the ibanez played just not the sound.
Oh and I should add I am a lefty so the S6 slim is a no go only the original comes in lefty
the guitars you've played probably have a 1 11/16" nut, so you may need to adjust a bit to the seagull neck, while the other guitars you listed, as well as the GS mini have the same nut width you've played.

i feel compelled to add that of all the solid top guitars i've owned, the S6 just sounded so great - balanced, enough bass, a hint of sparkle on the top end. the cherry sounds mahogany-ish to me. the big baby sounded okay to me, but the sound didn't work to my ear for some kinds of music. i much prefer the GS mini to it. the yamaha FG720 sounds good, the 730 sounds a little warmer to my ear.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Diablo52
Oh and I should add I am a lefty so the S6 slim is a no go only the original comes in lefty
Does "Diablo" have anything to do with your left handedness?

The reason I ask, is because way back when, the left side of your body was considered evil.

In fact, the Latin name for your left eye is, "Oculus Sinestris"....

I'm a lefty too, and it is truly hard to find everything you might want in left hands models.

Unless of course, you're going to have $3000.00+ guitars built for you. Then, you can get pretty much anything you want. Although I think PRS announced they were not going to support LH players anymore. (Someone might want to check that out for accuracy).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 22, 2014,
No it doesn't. And I actually live down the road from PRS headquarters in MD