Back in May last year, I bought a Squier Classic Vibe 60s strat. While it isn't an awful guitar, it is not as great as some of the reviewers said it was. Recently I bought a MIM Strat and now I know what a solid strat feels and sounds like. The CV pickups are on the brighter side and sound weaker compared to the MIM. The noise drives me crazy too. Also, the pots feels pretty cheap too. I guess this is expected with these guitars made in China. Part of me wants to sell it and use the money to buy a used MIM Strat but I feel like the CV is a great little guitar to mod and upgrade. What do you recommend for pickups, pots, and nut upgrades? I have been looking at Tex Mex pickups to drop in there. Also, is it worth changing the pickup switcher because that feels a bit cheap as well.
Last edited by JimiZeppelin4 at Mar 20, 2014,
Personally I would sell it, and buy a used mim. If you just wanna get some modding practice in and hang on to it, I would suggest staying semi cheap. You probably will never get your money back on upgrades in a cheaper guitar. Hang on to all the parts you replace so if you sell the guitar you can keep your upgrades.

You can get pots in the 5-$10 dollar range. No name brand needed. The pickup switch again should run about 5-10. No name brand needed. If you plan to wire it yourself pick up some .22awg wire. I would also replace the jack for sure. You can get a fender jack for $15 online. I would use shielded wire to run the jack with.

As for pickups I don't have much advice on type. I would go to youtube and start checking different ones out you are interested in. Nut I'm no good for either.

Have fun building!
Quote by Starcounter1
Personally I would sell it, and buy a used mim. If you just wanna get some modding practice in and hang on to it, I would suggest staying semi cheap. You probably will never get your money back on upgrades in a cheaper guitar. Hang on to all the parts you replace so if you sell the guitar you can keep your upgrades.

You can get pots in the 5-$10 dollar range. No name brand needed. The pickup switch again should run about 5-10. No name brand needed. If you plan to wire it yourself pick up some .22awg wire. I would also replace the jack for sure. You can get a fender jack for $15 online. I would use shielded wire to run the jack with.

As for pickups I don't have much advice on type. I would go to youtube and start checking different ones out you are interested in. Nut I'm no good for either.

Have fun building!

Thanks for the feedback man. If I plan to get rid of it, I want to sell it with my old Spider III and footswitch that I don't use anymore hopefully between the 3, I can get between $300-$400. The reason why I didn't get the MIM from the beginning is because I couldn't find any at my local shops and I didn't want to risk buying online (although I bought my used Gibson LP Studio online and that guitar is awesome).
Sell it man. You can get enough money to shop around, buy a good MIM strat and probably have a few bucks left over to buy a pedal or something.

If you're not bonding with the CV, don't spend a bunch of money trying to make it work. Not when they sell for a little more than the MIMs do.
He's already got the MiM, dudes.

Congrats on joining the Strat Mafia! We've got a good little community on here.

I'm not so sure I'd sell the CV. It's always good to have a backup guitar if you're gigging or doing any sort of playing out with other folks. If you are primarily recording or a bedroom guitarist, then you might be happier selling it in favor of buying some upgraded pickups for your Fender, or a cool pedal or two.

What is your main amp, and what style of music do you like to play? I've used a bunch of different Strat Pups. I'd be happy to recommend some to you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
If the Squier feels good to play—forget the sound for a moment—then it may well be worth upgrading. Change the pickups to ones you prefer, have a new nut cut, change the pots, maybe get some new tuners on there and you've got yourself a solid backup guitar.

If it doesn't even feel good on a basic level, though, then I would sell it and put the money towards another MIM. Just remember that a battered second-hand MIM guitar could be in worse shape than the Squier and you might need to replace parts there, too. So make sure you are able to try the guitar out before you buy it. If you'd just be buying a guitar blindly through eBay or whatever, then you really are better off fixing up the Squier.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by JustRooster
He's already got the MiM, dudes.

Congrats on joining the Strat Mafia! We've got a good little community on here.

I'm not so sure I'd sell the CV. It's always good to have a backup guitar if you're gigging or doing any sort of playing out with other folks. If you are primarily recording or a bedroom guitarist, then you might be happier selling it in favor of buying some upgraded pickups for your Fender, or a cool pedal or two.

What is your main amp, and what style of music do you like to play? I've used a bunch of different Strat Pups. I'd be happy to recommend some to you.

I'm pretty happy with my MIM now so I'm not looking to upgrade that guitar. I use the MIM for standard tuning and the CV 60s for Eb tuning. The Amp I am playing through is a Vox AC-15 and style of music that I play is mostly Alt. Rock, Blues, and Funk. I was looking at Tex Mex pickups to put in there but please do recommend me some others. I'm not looking to spend much on a set. Probably a budget around $100ish.

Quote by MrFlibble
If the Squier feels good to play—forget the sound for a moment—then it may well be worth upgrading. Change the pickups to ones you prefer, have a new nut cut, change the pots, maybe get some new tuners on there and you've got yourself a solid backup guitar.

If it doesn't even feel good on a basic level, though, then I would sell it and put the money towards another MIM. Just remember that a battered second-hand MIM guitar could be in worse shape than the Squier and you might need to replace parts there, too. So make sure you are able to try the guitar out before you buy it. If you'd just be buying a guitar blindly through eBay or whatever, then you really are better off fixing up the Squier.

I just adjusted the height of the strings to equal my MIM and it helped on ton on the playability. I had it too high before and that could be one of the reasons why I wanted to sell it in the first place. The thing that bugs though is the gloss on the neck which I want to remove with an abrasive pad because I like a satin feel on a neck. Of course, this could hurt the resell value if I do decide to sell it. Also compared to the MIM, it just doesn't feel as sturdy. It feels a bit lighter. I did very few volume swells with it and the volume pot is loose as hell.
Last edited by JimiZeppelin4 at Mar 21, 2014,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 21, 2014,
Tex-Mex are muddy, I really don't dig them. It's just my opinion, but I'd stay away from those.

The AC-15 is an awesome amp! Especially for the styles you're playing. Great choice. If you like the sound of your pickups now, I wouldn't change them. If you WERE looking to change them, for your sound I would recommend either the Texas Specials or the Lace Sensor Blues. Both of those sets are over $100, though.

For a solid budget set, GFS makes Texas Special knockoffs that are actually pretty good. Here's a link:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Strat-Texas-Alnico-Stagger-Pickup-Set_p_716.html

If you have a backup guitar for a different tuning, I'd probably keep it. Heck, try dropping a set of those GFS pickups into the CV and see if it doesn't make the guitar come alive. Then you'd have two reliable Strats.

EDIT: Why must Danny tempt me with used Six Gun links?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
EDIT: Why must Danny tempt me with used Six Gun links?

Because I am eeeeeEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to take all this in consideration and hopefully make a decision soon.

To JustRooster: I ****ing love the AC-15!
i haven't tried the classic vibes, so yeah, take this advice with a pinch of salt, obviously

Aren't the classic vibes reputed to have tonerider pickups stock? assuming that's true, i doubt they're any worse (and may well be better) than any "budget" pickups on the market from the likes of GFS etc. Far as I'm aware, tonerider has a better rep than GFS, for example. Unless they just don't suit the tone you want.

From the pics I've seen the trem block seems to be pretty wimpy. Swapping that (or even the whole trem, if you can find a cheap-but-decent one which is a direct swap, like the cheaper wilkinsons with steel blocks (but I should add, I have no idea if they're a direct swap)) might be an idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?