Story - I have never owned an amp before. I have been educating myself but I hope that I can get more advice before I go to a store and start checking things out.

Budget? -
200$ I used the search feature to look for similar threads and I am aware that there have been others in my position who were advised to save their money, but I can't justify purchasing a 400 dollar amp. I have no gigging or recording aspirations. 200$ is the maximum that I'm willing to spend.

Genres? - RHCP, Queen, INXS, Prince and ELO are the bands that I've been listening to the most. My tastes are changing as I learn more about how to play the guitar. I am newly interested in funk and I just got introduced to Jimmy Nolen and Nile Rodgers. I also listen to modern stuff like LMFAO and I keep thinking that their songs would sound cooler if they had some funky guitar licks.
In addition to the above, I also still have a lot of love for the bands that I was into when I was a teenager. Guns n' Roses, Motley Crue, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Limp Bizkit, Foo Fighters... If I had to prioritize (and I'm assuming that I do...) then I'd say that it's more important to me to be able to get some good funky cleans, but I'd love to be able to do some passable hard rock tones.
I think that I would like something that sounds crisp, like a hi-fi sort of sound. (Maybe articulate is a better word.) I like it when there's a lot of warmth in the sound, but at the same time I also really like it when there's a bit of a piercing quality to the tone like Slash gets in "Sweet Child of Mine".
Oh yeah - this might be a little bit obscure but I'd like to add that I really liked the tones on quite a few of the songs on the Big Wreck album - "In Loving Memory of..."
http://youtu.be/LuhzlSQovxc

New or Used? - Don't care, as long as it's not broken.

Home or Gig? - Home.

Closest City? - Harrisburg, PA

Current Gear? - A Vox Amplug headphone amp - one of those 40 dollar battery powered little things. I've been playing it through a pair of desktop speakers and some mid-grade headphones.

I appreciate any input that you care to give.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Mar 21, 2014,
If I were in your shoes I'd look for a Vox VT. It takes a bit of tweaking and getting use to what the tweaks do to the sound but its got a variety of good tones for different genres. The built in effects and amp models can give you an idea of the tones and effects you like/use most which will help with future gas.

Other amps to consider: Yamaha THR series, Peavey Vyper or Valveking, Epiphone makes some decent sounding dirt cheap amps (Valve Jr being the most popular), Vox AC4 and maybe ponder a multifx through a powered speaker.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Mar 21, 2014,
Take a Fender Super Champ/Vibro Champ for a spin. Excellent Fender cleans, usable effects and "Voice" channel with some serious attitude for a small grab-n-go tube amp. This guy gives a pretty good run down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6PiHd-H2U
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's not really a tube amp. Apart from the power tubes, it uses a single 12AX7; one half as cathodyne phase inverter and the other half as what is essentially a buffer. It is actually a gain stage, the only tube gain stage in the entire preamp. The preamp is solid state with half a tube tacked on the end. The power amp is tube. ie. it's a hybrid. Good one though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 21, 2014,
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 21, 2014,
This was a great starting point. I looked at video reviews of just about all of these and i've already got some ideas:

I liked the idea of the peavey valveking so i explored that first. The first two vids sounded cool as hell in high gain settings but i never liked the clean demos. I fortunately convinced myself to watch a 3rd demo and this one had a great clean sound. I think it's probably safe to say that there was some other factor affecting the sound of the cleans in the first two demos. Maybe recording quality? Maybe playing style?
I am not entirely sure that i want a 12" speaker. The cab is a little on the large side.

The fender super champ and the mustang III were both very appealing to me. I think i like fender sounds.

I also liked the vt80, but it seemed like it didn't quite measure up to the fender cleans.

The yamaha - i wanted to like it but it seemed like it could never do more than a close (sometimes very close) approximation of another sound. I watched a few videos and it never really captured my interest.

I think super champ, valveking 112 and vt80 are the main contenders after the first round of cuts. I need to hear them in person however. Good thing i have narrowed down what i need to look at.
I think for someone getting their first amp, unless they are totally sure what they want then a modeller is usually a good choice so you get a taste of what you like easier. There should be enough sounds in one of them to keep you going for quite a while until you decide to upgrade.

Mustang or Vypyr would be a good choice.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
I didn't spend much time with a Mustang III but my quick impression is that it has a wider palate of sounds but wasn't quite as natural and toneful as the Super Champ to my ears. I also like the Super Champ controls because they are very intuitive with no programming involved. A 15 yr old might appreciate the programming feature more than I do though. I only use about 4 voicings with the SCXD but 4 is probably enough with a few usable effects.

Both are surprisingly good sounding amps for being dirt cheap grab-n-go types. Try them out and trust your ears. The Vibro Champ XD has the same controls and tones as the Super Champ at 5w instead of 15w and a lot less $$. It might be a better first practice amp for the bedroom.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 21, 2014,
The Vox AC4C1 is maybe the cheapest and small all-tube amps you'll find, and it retails new for $299, you can find them on sale for $249, and they have been out a couple years, so used ones are starting to pop up Ebay and elsewhere and you might find one for $199. I think they'll hold their value. I just like the idea of having a nice tube amp even for just home playing, and that was more important to me than trying to get the modeling amps that give you a ton of variety yet do not really give you that authentic tube sound. (Though my next amp purchase may be some kind of Line 6 or similar amp that does a ton of modeling, play with that for a while.)

The point is, I think for a true electric guitar player, you're going to want to have a good, all-tube tone at your disposal at some point. I had a couple small practice amps and they kind of discouraged me from playing electric as much because I did not like the tone. If I started over again, I'd have spent a little more to get an all tube to start with, saved money in the long run.

I don't gig, either. So, for me, and just for having fun and experimenting with tone, I now think it is good to have two amps: An all tube and a modeling amp. If there is one amp that can serve both functions well, I have not heard of it, or it's out of my price range.

You may have also considered going through a computer, in which case you need:
- Interface (over $100?)
- Decent Studio Monitors ($250+?)
- DAW (some free, but Reaper is $60)
- Free virtual amp sims, cab sims, FX, etc.

So there for about $400 you get a TON of variety, plus the ability to record, the ability to try other stuff musically (I have gotten into making electronica in addition to playing guitar). For some people this can pretty much replace / substitute for a real amp. For me, I sometimes just want to jam more "au natural" so I need both real gear and the computer set up. But you might be fine with it, particularly if you're computer savvy.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
I was going to get a modeling amp until recently when i started thinking that i could tell a difference between the modeling amp tones and the tube amp tones. I think it's between hybrids and tube amps.

I think vibro champ and super champ are separating themselves from the pack a little bit. I doubt that i'd have much patience for fiddling around with the mustang, as i read more reviews that mention having to tweak a lot.
I'm still open to tube amps, but i'm not sure if i'd be as happy with one as with a hybrid like the super champ.

I did come across a mention of the vht special 6. Is that worth looking into?
Had an idea:

Between the vox and the fenders, i've been a little bit conflicted because i like the ac30 sound, but i like the fender cleans even more. I am pretty sure that i want at least a hybrid, if not a full-on tube amp at this point as well, but the vt80 is also a hybrid.

Question is - i have heard other people talk about how impressed they've been when they used their Vox AC30 amplug as a preamp into a real amp. I wonder if any of you have heard this particular sort of setup because in that case i may be able to get an official Vox model AC30 tone when i want it, but also get the Fender cleans as long as i purchase a fender amp. I doubt that an amplug will sound like a real AC30 in any event but if it's closer to AC30 than the model on the Mustang or the Super Champ then I will have further narrowed my field of choices.
I know that this is a month and a half old and all but I have a new round of questions:

I listened to (and played through) a cheap Randall tube amp, a Super Champ x2, and a Mustang 1.

The mustang was my least favorite by far. I think that I need some tubes - so I'm not even concerning myself with solid state anymore.

The Super Champ was awesome and I'd love to get one but I'm curious about a few others first - just trying to do my diligence. These are amps that I was not able to listen to in person yet.
I should say in advance that the amps that I aspire to are generally Fender-ish. I don't know if I NEED a Fender but I might need a Fender - if you know what I mean.

The AC4 - it seems to have basically just 1 sorta clean tone. Like - if you turn it up a little bit at all then it's gonna start to crunch? I like the crunch but I am pickier about cleans and the AC4 doesn't seem to be able to satisfy. I don't know if there's a better demo that I haven't found but it seems like the AC4 is a good amp that does that particular Vox sound pretty well, but not so much the other sounds I'm interested in.

The Bugera V5 seems interesting and cheap and available. I like the fact that it has a reverb knob and I think it sounds decent but I've heard complaints about Bugera too - so what's that about?

The VHT Special 6 - Not sure what to think. Seems to have less demos and less information out there.

Blackface HT5 - I really like the way it distorts but it seems like maybe I wouldn't be satisfied with cleans on it. Thoughts about this amp?

Fender Champ 600 - The retro-ish design doesn't do anything in particular for me but it seems like another possibility. Anyone like?
any of those 5 watter tube amps will start to crunch when you turn them up, yeah. it depends on what volume you need- they have easily enough headroom for me for a home playing situation, but if you need loud and clean at the same time, yeah, not really happening.

vht is fendery, as is the champ 600. again, not massive amount of headroom but the tone is fendery.

haven't tried the bugera- the complaints are regarding reliability. the peavey head clones went on fire at the start as they used a plastic clip in an unsafe way or something like that. that's been fixed but they still don't exactly have the best rep for reliability.

i haven't tried the vox or the ht5. FWIW the ht5 is hybrid rather than all-tube. also I don't think its cleans are meant to be its strong point.

if you want volume + cleans you maybe want to look at higher wattage amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have had the Bugera V5, Mustang 1 and the Vox AC4. The Bugera is fine as a tube amp for its price, but I think there is a either a stigma about the quality of that product or if there is genuine concerns over the quality of the line as a whole. I had one. Was solid but ordinary. I am not a huge reverb guy so that was pointless to me. It took pedals well.

The Vox for me was a step up. But I think I really like the Vox sound. It was my favorite amp I owned (I was a new beginner that got into the whole buying gear instead of practicing crap - embarrassing now that I look at it). Has an attenuator which is great for nighttime practice (if that concerns you) and was SIMPLE (see Mustang 1 below). Takes pedals well.

I also had a Mustang I and was completely overwhelmed by the thing to be honest. I spent more time looking for tones and downloading them to the amp than I was practicing. While it is a great idea and can be awesome for the disciplined beginner looking for a tone, it was just too much for me. Plus it sounded horrible to me (I have V.1, maybe V.2 is better?) and I know it is a solid state amp, but it sounded extraordinarily synthetic.

Just my two cents. I like to contribute when I can.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
Quote by Dave_Mc
any of those 5 watter tube amps will start to crunch when you turn them up, yeah. it depends on what volume you need- they have easily enough headroom for me for a home playing situation, but if you need loud and clean at the same time, yeah, not really happening.

vht is fendery, as is the champ 600. again, not massive amount of headroom but the tone is fendery.

haven't tried the bugera- the complaints are regarding reliability. the peavey head clones went on fire at the start as they used a plastic clip in an unsafe way or something like that. that's been fixed but they still don't exactly have the best rep for reliability.

i haven't tried the vox or the ht5. FWIW the ht5 is hybrid rather than all-tube. also I don't think its cleans are meant to be its strong point.

if you want volume + cleans you maybe want to look at higher wattage amps.

Yeah - the wattage is a big question for me. 100% of my playing will be at bedroom level. I don't know if I should be looking at the 15s or the 5s. I want to be able to have enough headroom for my cleans. I want it to be loud enough (on clean settings) to completely drown out the unamplified guitar sounds, but not much more than that. I'd like some reverb but it's not a requirement. I just want something - uh... - organic sounding I suppose? Fender tones are good. They're not the only acceptable cleans but it's the easiest way to describe the sort of dynamics I'm looking for. The Bugera and the VHT have also shown me some cleans that I liked but I still haven't played through either of them so I'm not really sure.

Then I would like it if I can get a nice distortion sound at about the same volume, but I don't care so much if it's a marshall sound or a vox sound or whatever. It can be any flavor - just as long as it sounds good.

And of course the easy answer is super champ, but i've been tracking them in the used gear sections and their availability in my area is not very consistent. On the other hand there are two used bugeras in the area and they're both priced low enough that i could probably add a pedal.
Quote by Killsocket
I have had the Bugera V5, Mustang 1 and the Vox AC4. The Bugera is fine as a tube amp for its price, but I think there is a either a stigma about the quality of that product or if there is genuine concerns over the quality of the line as a whole. I had one. Was solid but ordinary. I am not a huge reverb guy so that was pointless to me. It took pedals well.

The Vox for me was a step up. But I think I really like the Vox sound. It was my favorite amp I owned (I was a new beginner that got into the whole buying gear instead of practicing crap - embarrassing now that I look at it). Has an attenuator which is great for nighttime practice (if that concerns you) and was SIMPLE (see Mustang 1 below). Takes pedals well.

I also had a Mustang I and was completely overwhelmed by the thing to be honest. I spent more time looking for tones and downloading them to the amp than I was practicing. While it is a great idea and can be awesome for the disciplined beginner looking for a tone, it was just too much for me. Plus it sounded horrible to me (I have V.1, maybe V.2 is better?) and I know it is a solid state amp, but it sounded extraordinarily synthetic.

Just my two cents. I like to contribute when I can.

I thought it was pretty helpful.
I also am doing that gear thing, but only a little bit and i am pretty aware that no amount of gear can help me if i can't play for shit. I was fortunate to be able to start learning while using a pretty nice guitar and a reasonably solid practice amp. It really drove home the "you suck at playing - it's not the gear's fault" message.
I initially thought that I needed a modeling amp but I changed my mind when I finally sat down with a Reverb Deluxe and discovered how many cool sounds you can get just by changing volume knobs.
I think a clean to crunch or mid gain small tube amp is probably the most user friendly for a beginner. I knew a guy that got a Fender Blues Jr so he can play jazz and blues and upgraded that with a Jekylll & Hyde distortion later when he got better and got into rock fusion, which sounded great when I was recording him.
Quote by paul.housley.7

The AC4 - it seems to have basically just 1 sorta clean tone. Like - if you turn it up a little bit at all then it's gonna start to crunch? I like the crunch but I am pickier about cleans and the AC4 doesn't seem to be able to satisfy. I don't know if there's a better demo that I haven't found but it seems like the AC4 is a good amp that does that particular Vox sound pretty well, but not so much the other sounds I'm interested in.

I just picked up a used Vox AC4TV and it will definitely do clean at bedroom levels, don't let the 4w fool you it's a pretty loud amp for it's size and wattage, also very responsive to input volume, I can go from clean to crunchy just by how hard I pick or switching from coil split to the bridge humbucker on my C-1 classic. I would recommend an overdrive to go with it for heavier tones as it much be cracked to achieve decent distortion.
Quote by paul.housley.7

I initially thought that I needed a modeling amp but I changed my mind when I finally sat down with a Reverb Deluxe and discovered how many cool sounds you can get just by changing volume knobs.

Wow, if you can find a Fender Deluxe Reverb within your $200 budget, jump on it. A legendary pro quality amp for gigging musicians. They are usually around $1000 new.

In terms of wattage (a lousy way to choose an amp btw), 5w tube is plenty for BR levels easily reaching 100 db of crystal clean guitar tone @ 1 meter, 15w tube will just run with a drummer for jams or small gigs, and 30w tube and quality speakers will rarely be overpowered onstage. Choose the right tool for the job.

I wish i had found a deluxe reverb that fit in my budget. That would end all debate real quick.

But no - i just meant that i played one to see what a nice amp can do. Funny story about that - my 4 yr old daughter was with me in the guitar center and i was playing the super champ at the time - she turned to me all of a sudden and said "that guitar makes you play better daddy", but while she said guitar she certainly meant the amp.

So it says a little bit about the amp and maybe about my general lack of skill that she thought to say that. "From the mouths of babes..." as they say.

Right now i've got super champ as the first priority.
Then if one of those doesn't show up i'll probably get a bugera - as it's a fair combination of likable tone, good price and good availability.

Now i just gotta sell something to get some cash. :-D
Looks like the Super Champ is a modeling amp with tube section added somehow so don't be tricked by marketing that it is a tube amp. Just a thought that modeling sometimes gets old fast and doesn't work well with added fx.
Have you looked at the small tube heads like these:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Kustom_defender/Kustom%20Defender15H_KustomDefenderGuitarSpeakerCabinet.htm
Quote by diabolical
Looks like the Super Champ is a modeling amp with tube section added somehow so don't be tricked by marketing that it is a tube amp. Just a thought that modeling sometimes gets old fast and doesn't work well with added fx.
Have you looked at the small tube heads like these:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Kustom_defender/Kustom%20Defender15H_KustomDefenderGuitarSpeakerCabinet.htm

I'm "hep". It's a hybrid but not like the vox vt series that only has a single tube on the preamp section. The super champ has that but it also has two tubes in the power section. It's more "tubey" than a typical hybrid. More important than that - it pleases my ear.

I felt that the difference in quality between super champ and mustang 1 was more distinct than the difference between super champ and deluxe reverb.

Of course i might be getting atypical results because i'm playing EMGs but i'm also obsessed with fender cleans. I purchased my guitar before i ever got to play it and i didn't know much about active pickups at the time. Now i've got a shred guitar but i'm trying to avoid shred amps.

I appreciate the link and i do plan to visit a custom amp shop at least once. I don't know what i'll find there.

Oh and btw - i want to reiterate to everyone that i really appreciate the suggestions and advice. This kind of a conversation is a lot of fun for me. I love to talk out loud and get feedback. Thanks again.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Yeah - the wattage is a big question for me. 100% of my playing will be at bedroom level. I don't know if I should be looking at the 15s or the 5s. I want to be able to have enough headroom for my cleans. I want it to be loud enough (on clean settings) to completely drown out the unamplified guitar sounds, but not much more than that. I'd like some reverb but it's not a requirement. I just want something - uh... - organic sounding I suppose? Fender tones are good. They're not the only acceptable cleans but it's the easiest way to describe the sort of dynamics I'm looking for. The Bugera and the VHT have also shown me some cleans that I liked but I still haven't played through either of them so I'm not really sure.

Then I would like it if I can get a nice distortion sound at about the same volume, but I don't care so much if it's a marshall sound or a vox sound or whatever. It can be any flavor - just as long as it sounds good.

And of course the easy answer is super champ, but i've been tracking them in the used gear sections and their availability in my area is not very consistent. On the other hand there are two used bugeras in the area and they're both priced low enough that i could probably add a pedal.

yeah. if you're playing at home volume i'd assume the 5 watters would have enough headroom (at least the ones which are more aimed at clean tones like the vht and the fender), but everyone's idea of hom volume is slightly different. if you play really loud they might not have enough.

the other thing is the fender is going to be a lot quieter as it has a small, inefficient speaker. and there aren't too many replacement 6" speakers available. The vht special 6 has a 10" speaker and, while replacement 10" speakers aren't as common a 12" ones, there are still plenty of them to get something which sounds good and which is louder.

only thing is, the vht is a little dark stock, it has slightly weird values in the tone stack. that doesn't really help the cleans.

other thing is, if you want distortion (and you want tube distortion) you're going to have to turn those amps up, which is really loud in a home situation (even if your neighbours don't care or aren't close, you're limited by your own ears and unless you have massive rooms or already have hearing damage, if you're anything like me at least it's just too loud). Something with a master volume might be a better idea, but then they tend to cost more.

there's the vht special 6 ultra which has the special 6 as the clean channel (far as i'm aware) and then an added gain stage for a higher gain channel which has a master volume. offworld has one and likes it- i've never tried it, but I'm just kind of slightly wary that it's dear enough that you coudl maybe get something better for not much more money. i know with my special 6, while it sounds pretty decent for the money, you can tell corners have been cut, too. Which isn't a massive problem at the price of the special 6, but it's more of a concern at the price of the ultra (assuming it's not built any better).

you can always use pedals for dirt, of course. that would let you get one of the (cheaper) valve amps which don't have master volume controls. just you need to watch that pedal GAS doesn't get a grip on you and you spend as much on them as would buy you a nicer amp.

there are some pretty decent pedals around currently for not too much money- the digitech bad monkey, screamin blues and hot head are pretty nice and very cheap, and EHX has released a bunch of, er, "inspired by" pedals recently which don't cost much (I haven't tried them but I've tried most of the pedals they're, er, "based on"). I reckon the glove would do the distortion tone in the first vid (though tube amp distortion might be better).

also don't worry about liking fender clean tones, they're awesome.

Quote by paul.housley.7
I'm "hep". It's a hybrid but not like the vox vt series that only has a single tube on the preamp section. The super champ has that but it also has two tubes in the power section. It's more "tubey" than a typical hybrid. More important than that - it pleases my ear.

yeah that's probably a decent way to look at it. it's the same with blackstar, to be fair. I don't like the way they imply it's all-tube, but it's not a marshall valvestate or similar either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 8, 2014,
@ Dave - when you talk about master volume controls - do you know what might be involved in adding one of those? I'm envisioning just a simple potentiometer tapped into the circuit somewhere. I am not afraid to add some mods. electricity is my bitch.

unless i'm misunderstanding something i could get myself a cabinet later too?
what about car audio speakers? there's tons of 6.5 and 10 inch car audio speakers on the market. what's the difference?
if you know what you're doing, yeah it shouldn't be that hard (I don't, so bear that in mind ). whether you'll get much preamp distortion out of it (it's only two gain stages), though, I dunno. and yeah it'd just be a correct-value pot to ground somewhere in the circuit to replace a fixed resistor, most likely. probably between the second preamp gain stage and the power amp.

the 12ax7 website might have a list of some mods for it and where to put the master volume, to be sure. i think you have to register to read threads, though (and IIRC you have to wait a few days until they ok you).

yeah you can use an external cabinet with the vht, it has speaker outs.

you want to be using guitar speakers, they sound different. they colour the sound a lot whereas hi-fi speakers are much more neutral.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?