Hello, i am using amplitube and guitar rig5 on PC. I am bored with my headphones and small computer speakers. Is it possible to buy one active speaker and use it as an amp? so my question is 1 speaker. thanx
What you really need is a new amp.

An actual guitar amp.
You could use a couple gimmicks to use an active computer speaker as an amp for your guitar but it'll sound bad as soon as you'll engage any kind of distortion, so what you need is a guitar amp here.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I disagree with the above poster. Yes you can buy just one active speaker and use it as a monitor and it'll sound fine, even with distortion. However your interface is going to play a big role in this. What kind are you using? You also need to make sure that you'd have the right kind of cable to plug one into the other. The quality of the speaker will also make a big difference, of course

I had a friend who used this sort of rig to jam with people... his sound card into the PA. Though I think he used amplitube instead of guitar rig. It sounded very good. He was limited in his foot switching capabilities but that's not necessarily going to be a problem for you.
You can hook active monitors to your computer, sure, but they're designed to work as stereo pairs and you need some form of interface to actually connect them, as most computers do not have quarter-inch stereo jacks. The Line 6 UX series is relatively cheap and works very well with analogue monitor and line ins/outs.

But yes, at that point what you're basically doing is just using a modelling amp with a speaker intended for playback, not performance. You could get a POD/Cube/Mustang/whatever modelling system if that's your thing, and it'd likely cost less than a pair of semi-decent studio monitors and an interface.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
You can hook active monitors to your computer, sure, but they're designed to work as stereo pairs and you need some form of interface to actually connect them, as most computers do not have quarter-inch stereo jacks. The Line 6 UX series is relatively cheap and works very well with analogue monitor and line ins/outs.

But yes, at that point what you're basically doing is just using a modelling amp with a speaker intended for playback, not performance. You could get a POD/Cube/Mustang/whatever modelling system if that's your thing, and it'd likely cost less than a pair of semi-decent studio monitors and an interface.

If he's already using guitar rig, odds are he already has an interface.

I thought he meant an active speaker like in a PA, like a mackie SRM or something...
Maybe, but also there are lots of people who just use quarter-inch to USB conversion plugs.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
hum...

If that's the case, a good interface would indeed be the first purchase. If you're going to use this sort of setup, you need good preamps since they'll become the the basis of your sound.

I guess we need more info from the TS regarding current gear and budget
No reason not to get a pair unless you can't afford two.

There are also some USB monitors out there if you don't have an interface. Alesis 320 Usb monitors for example are quite cheap.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by kitarmen
Is it possible to buy one active speaker and use it as an amp? so my question is 1 speaker. thanx
I wrote he should have bought a new amp because it's my understanding that he doesn't want to pass the guitar through guitar rig or the computer in general, he wants to use the active computer speaker as a guitar amp.

If you want to use a monitor as a monitor, get a pair instead of one, you'll find good use for them.

If you want to use a monitor as a guitar amp, get a guitar amp.
Quote by MrFlibble
Maybe, but also there are lots of people who just use quarter-inch to USB conversion plugs.
Behringer guitar links are 1/4" to usb cables, and they don't suck that bad.
I mean they suck but it's a guitar we're passing through it so it's not that big of a deal...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 21, 2014,